Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] GNOME 3.8 Proper Localization (cyrillic) ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barvinok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] GNOME 3.8 Proper Localization (cyrillic) ? Reply with quote

I like my desktop environments to be fully localized to my native language (Ukrainian). For that I usually follow locale-gen procedure, enable relevant useflags, set LINGUAS, LANG and LC_* variables and it works well in GNOME 2 and many other apps.
Now I'm migrating to GNOME (3) Shell and not everything in there is localized -- Screenshot of my gnome-shell interface displayed partially in English.
The Applications, Places, Favorites, Activities Overview, Home, Browse Network, and Trash remain in English, while they were in Ukrainian in GNOME 2.
The question is whether this is "by design" or "under development" or did I just miss some step?

Last edited by Barvinok on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your screenshot looks like a non-default gnome-shell with some extensions that add Applications and Places menu; maybe those don't have a full Ukrainian translation yet?
I'm not quite sure what module that is, so I can't find the strings to doublecheck their translation status
Barvinok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
Your screenshot looks like a non-default gnome-shell with some extensions that add Applications and Places menu; maybe those don't have a full Ukrainian translation yet?
I'm not quite sure what module that is, so I can't find the strings to doublecheck their translation status

Those are stock gnome-shell-extensions, apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com and places-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com respectively.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ukrainian translation for gnome-shell-extensions was updated on 2013-09-21, and last time before that on 2011-12-05. The "Favourites" and other missing translation texts appeared inbetween.
In short, they are now translated properly, but not in time for the 3.8 release. I believe 21st September 2013 puts it as translated only by gnome 3.10 release.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions/commit/po/uk.po?id=23c0d0a61f985e1952b457bd14981bc53231cccb
Barvinok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: