View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dachnaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Radeon RV516 (X1300) not functioning on Xserve Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo on an Xserve 3,1. The trouble is, this beast does not play nice with kernel modesetting. In fact, the only way I can get the system to boot is to disable kernel modesetting. I've done quite a bit of searching all across the Internets, but it seems that Linux has changed a lot since I was in high school. Is there some way to run X using the old drivers that modeset in userspace?

Last edited by Dachnaz on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely the old versions of the driver doesn't understand the "newer" hardware (it's been a while since the userspace kernel drivers were available), so seems you have a catch-22 here... What is wrong with KMS?
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might not need disable KMS but you may need to disable video acceleration. I've had 2 computers that problem with acceleration, both nvidia, one NV40 and the other NV11. I ha to turn of video acceleration with nouveau.noaccel=1 to get the to work (around 3.7 the nouveau refactored the driver significantly, fixing the issue with the NV40 one. NV11 still remains unusable, not due to any fault in the nouveau driver but it only has 32MB of VRAM).
Dachnaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is my kernel will panic if modesetting is allowed and I use a DRM driver. Similarly, as soon as I modprobe radeon, kernel modesetting becomes enabled, fb reports conflicting fb usage between radeondrmfb and EFI VGA driver, and the kernel panics. Hm. Maybe it is a compatibility issue with the Radeon RV516 and the radeon drivers?

EDIT:
I've noticed that the kernel also will panic at boot if EFI framebuffer support is not present.

EDITED EDIT:
Maybe it's just that nothing is getting displayed!
Dachnaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to make something happen beyond just blanking the screen or causing a kernel panic. By including DRM_RADEON as a module and CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS, booting the system, and then passing

Code:
modprobe radeon modeset=0

the radeon module loads properly. There is no change to the framebuffer console. Running startx or X -configure causes graphical corruption on any terminal - everything is disintegrated and strewn across the screen. Progress? Maybe...
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pastebin your kernel config.
Dachnaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current working kernel config is at http://pastebin.com/vvEM0WQX ; DRM options start around 2105.

Cheers!
EDIT: It occurred to me that the Xserve box in question may be designed for having no 'primary' output for display, and should be outputting to the secondary display. Maybe this affects the stopping of video output when radeon is loaded - I can still access the machine via ssh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: