View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Hardened Gentoo + Pulseaudio Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently switched to hardened gentoo and I managed to get everything working ok, even Pulseaudio works now and my embedded microphone also works. The problem is if I plug-in the headset + a microphone. What I expect should happen is the following:

• The sound should be playing in my headset rather than externally by my computer. This is true, except that there's also a squealing noise coming out of the headset; like from an alien movie.
  • The plugged-in microphone should record my voice rather than the embedded microphone (which is always present in all elitebook laptops). When the microphone is plugged in I hear additional tapping, like someone would be throwing a ball into the wall.

I guess this is connected to the hardened kernel, because I'm using the same pulseaudio settings with normal kernel and I don't have those problems. If anybody has any idea how to even test what's going on, please let me know.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The humming comes from poorly built frontside audio/usb connections in your case. I have the same issue if I plug a USB Mouse in the front, the hum bleeds through to my headset in Rift, in Win7 and Gentoo + Wine. The tapping is the echo of every mouseclick/tap you make on your built in mouse on your laptop...

To "Mute" your external speakers, use the Mixer Control in your DE to turn them off, and enable the Headset input.

To remove the hum, use a usb port further away from your audio connectors...
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Regarding Microphone: whenever I plug-in the headset microphone, the internal one starts quietly beeping and I don't know exactly where I should disable it. The xfce-mixer has the following options:

http://shrani.najdi.si/?2X/7N/1WfmDfhB/alsa1.png

http://shrani.najdi.si/?B/X3/4c5QalDN/alsa2.png

http://shrani.najdi.si/?1W/Lk/2jzSYnvk/alsa3.png

The "Sound card" has the following options:

• HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
  • Playback: Built-in audio analog stereo (pulseaudio mixer)
  • Capture: monitor of built-in audio analog stereo (pulseaudio mixer)
  • Capture: built-in audio analog stereo (pulseaudio mixer)

If you would like me to post an additional picture about some option, it's no problem.

Regarding the squealing noise coming from the headset, I've disconnected the usb mouse, and it's still sckretching. And I only have usb mouse, the headset uses normal plug-ins for sound+mic (the round ones, don't know the name).
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you turn the speakers off in the BIOS :?:
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ok I've just disabled the internal microphone in the bios, but both of the problems persists. Also, the current headset microphone doesn't work anymore.
eleanor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

because I really want to solve this issue, I created two audio recordings of the problems I encounter when plugging in any kind of headsets / speakers / microphone:

The audio demonstrating the sound that comes out of headsets when plugging in the speakers is the following:
http://rghost.net/download/50471418/f8ca16052077f48df083689d5165049413ff6209/DM650056.WMA

But when plugging in the microphone:
http://rghost.net/download/50471463/d4c61827c1cb32980b9529ef4bc8a11c5fa6cbb2/DM650057.WMA

Don't listen to the first few seconds when I'm still getting ready, but listen till the end where the sounds are more obvious.

Thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: