View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asdkl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: [solved] XDM with Nvidia Optimus Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I am trying to get XDM and my Nvidia Optimus working.

I can start X after following the howto found at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-959568.html with startx. Basically, the magic seems to be the

Code:
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

commands in my .xinitrc.

As XDM does not execute them, it dies with a "no screens found" error. Any advices where to put these commands?

Setup:
Code:
x11-base/xorg-server 1.14.3-r2
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers 325.15
x11-apps/xdm 1.1.11-r3

Kernel
Code:
3.10.17-gentoo
asdkl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally missunderstood how bumblebee and the xrandr options work together. So, you should simply ignore the post at all.
nocomprom1se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for exhumation here.

I also got the same problem - I'm only able to start Xorg via startx with the users xinitrc

xinitrc
Code:
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 0x45 0x2b0
xrandr --output LVDS-0 --on
xrandr --auto
startkde

xorg.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Identifier "layout"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Screen 0 "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Inactive "intel"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Device"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Identifier "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Driver "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Screen"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Identifier "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Device "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
#Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Device"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Identifier "intel"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Driver "modesetting"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Screen"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Identifier "intel"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Device "intel"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "InputClass"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Identifier "keyboard-all"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Driver "evdev"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Option "Xkblayout" "de"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
MatchIsKeyboard "on"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
EndSection

using proprietary driver 331.38 with an GT750M on 3.12.6 sources. No bumblebee installed.

logging in in the shell and then starting x isn't just uncomfortable but also breaks some privilege stuff in KDE.
asdkl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no special graphical needs under Linux and was just looking for a quick working solution and I am not 100% sure what I tried but I think two solutions worked for me:

1. Solution:
Configure only one card in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf - Intel save some energy, Nvidia has a better 3D performance

2. Solution (what I did):
Use bumblee.

I ended up with bumblebee, nvidia driver, and "VIDEO_CARDS="intel nvidia modesetting"" in my make.conf as this solution allows me to use the Nvidia on demand.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: