Trying to run Portal for Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ion Silverbolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Trying to run Portal for Linux Reply with quote

I just installed steam through the steam overlay, and I have steam installed fine and Portal downloaded. When I click to run portal, I get the valve logo, then the game just crashes, or never runs in the first place. I'm not even sure where to look for error output for this.

I'm guessing maybe it is because I'm using the radeon driver. I figured it might be fast enough for an older game like that. Will the older Valve games run using the radeon driver? Or does it require fglrx?

Thanks.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start the game from a terminal unless its wine, and paste the terminal output here.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam-overlay should pull in all required dependencies. Did you activate the steamgames-source_engine use flag? Maybe you're missing s3tc.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100 wrote:
Start the game from a terminal unless its wine, and paste the terminal output here.

Does steam run non-native games through wine?
If so does it take care of the necessary wine setup/customization/prefix stuff?

(Sorry for going off-topic - this is the first reference I've seen to Steam and wine together.)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100 wrote:

It looks like they're speaking of the native Steam version due to the mention of steam-overlay. In any case, I agree: terminal output is the first thing whether or not using Wine (I'd almost say even more so when using Wine!).

depontius wrote:
Does steam run non-native games through wine?
If so does it take care of the necessary wine setup/customization/prefix stuff?

(Sorry for going off-topic - this is the first reference I've seen to Steam and wine together.)

I'm pretty sure that's a no... well, as far as I am aware, it's very much a no. I actually highly doubt they would want to integrate any such thing into the mix, especially since one comment I seem to remember from Gabe N. was something along the lines of disliking the idea of Linux users having to resort to Wine. I could remember wrong, though!

It probably wouldn't even be tricky to do, in a sense, but I can imagine several issues (not that I'm any sort of an expert). I like Wine a lot, but I guess I just like my Wine as it is, with no Steam in it, although I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

As for the issue here, can't say much since I don't have any experience nor much knowledge in general on radeon and fglrx, neither have I used the overlay (I simply installed the native version by using the script as described in the wikki).

The terminal output, as suggested, might give some clues, however. =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: