0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 92

steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyspoke wrote:
As a matter of interest, why is that (the last bit about being in sync)? I have raid and lvm in my initramfs on a simple system, and haven't been punctilious about updating the versions in the initramfs, yet haven't seen any problems. I can see that if I create new raid devices or volumes with a new version of the software then I ought to update that in the initramfs in case there isn't forward compatibility.

Exactly what you just said, I guess. But the point here is to have general advice and scripts that keep your system running no matter what. If we can't guarantee things are kept running, then they're not kept running. I for one do not want to have to enumerate the situations wherein an lvm upgrade in rootfs will remain compatible with whatever version is still in initramfs: I just want the one version on rootfs in use, and that's why I set my machine up as it is.
tw04l124 wrote:
For lvm and luks you need an initramfs.

If rootfs is on lvm or luks, then yes. If rootfs is a standard partition on your hard-disk, then no, you don't.
Again, this is exactly the same as the traditional cut-off point to require an initrd.

Which is kinda my point: nothing's really changed. The early-boot bring-up is exactly the same whether you do it via udev in an initramfs, or udev starting after localmount. The requirement for the former is the same as it always was: you need modules or devices loaded to access rootfs, have /usr on a network drive, or you have a modular kernel along the lines of a binary distro.

The network drive case can be mitigated on a source-distro, where you have kernel modules built-in for your mobo, not to require an initramfs, though it's not something I've done; again, nothing's changed, AFAICT.

The only change is that we've been told that udev needs local drives (ie the equivalent of localmount) accessible before it starts. Which is an initscript ordering, given the kernel most of us setup before we even reboot into our initial Gentoo install.
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
greyspoke wrote:
As a matter of interest, why is that (the last bit about being in sync)? I have raid and lvm in my initramfs on a simple system, and haven't been punctilious about updating the versions in the initramfs, yet haven't seen any problems. I can see that if I create new raid devices or volumes with a new version of the software then I ought to update that in the initramfs in case there isn't forward compatibility.

Exactly what you just said, I guess. But the point here is to have general advice and scripts that keep your system running no matter what. If we can't guarantee things are kept running, then they're not kept running. I for one do not want to have to enumerate the situations wherein an lvm upgrade in rootfs will remain compatible with whatever version is still in initramfs: I just want the one version on rootfs in use, and that's why I set my machine up as it is.

Oh I agree, but I kind of fell into having an initramfs shortly after starting with Gentoo. When I set up my machine I didn't need one, my root was on a raid partition but not lvm and the kernel autothingy coped with that. Then an mdadm upgrade meant I needed an initramfs, then the /usr and/var things happened (they were logical volumes) and so on. Fortunately I realised I should probably upgrade the versions in the initramfs before I got caught out by something.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyspoke wrote:

I build my (hand-rolled) initramfs into the kernel, and so its contents are always reasonably up to date. It probably costs an extra couple of seconds on each kernel build, but means I don't have to worry about (in my case) mdadm getting out of date.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initramfs seems very kernel dependent beyond the modules inside of it... I think initramfs is a good idea but too many dependencies and makes it hard to maintain.

I ended up rolling my own, and it does help quite a bit. The main thing I like about them is that it's pretty much needed for any self booting removable media to guarantee (or almost guarantee) it locating the right root disk...
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
The main thing I like about them is that it's pretty much needed for any self booting removable media to guarantee (or almost guarantee) it locating the right root disk...

Especially for this case, I found a solution in using root=PARTUUID= for the kernel command line since kernel >= 2.6.37, compiled with CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y support and GPT partitioned storage devices, as I wrote into my early post of this thread, on page 1. :wink:

Regards, Andy.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's neat they fixed the kernel to understand UUID at boot time. I know that it didn't like labels at boot time.
Does it work for MBR?

I've been trying to build a bootable connection-agnostic media that is FAT32/MBR formatted with a Linux compatible container, so I can use the storage on the media with Windows and digital cameras/other portable, non-linux devices as well... I think this also needs initramfs, just like my root-on-lvm-on-RAID5 setup.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
That's neat they fixed the kernel to understand UUID at boot time. I know that it didn't like labels at boot time.
Does it work for MBR?

I've been trying to build a bootable connection-agnostic media that is FAT32/MBR formatted with a Linux compatible container, so I can use the storage on the media with Windows and digital cameras/other portable, non-linux devices as well... I think this also needs initramfs, just like my root-on-lvm-on-RAID5 setup.

Depends how globally generic/portable you need it to be. Random example: I stuck a second (ext2) partition and a bootloader onto a FAT32 thumbdrive. You'd think Windows and/or typical embedded devices wouldn't be troubled by this, but it prevented a Kodak photo kiosk from reading it.

You can't bank on much sanity when it comes to the foibles of embedded device OSes. After all, no one (who matters to them or could call them out on it) ever gets to see how shitty their code is O.o
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the nice thing is that you can install grub on VFAT partition, and you have a container file that contains the ext2 partition; and the initramfs/kernel sits on the vfat partition...

This should be very compatible with any FAT device - only one partition still is visible - it should be fairly universally compatible.

Only exception is if the device hides stuff in the MBR. Then this would cause problems.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Does it work for MBR?

Hi eccerr0r.

No. They improved the kernel to read out the Partition unique GUID (/dev/disk/by-partuuid/) without the need of a initramfs, which is different to the UUID (/dev/disk/by-uuid/)
The Partition unique GUID exist/ could only used, for GPT partitioned devices.

If you use blkid to show device information, you could see a UUID and a PARTUUID simulaneously which are different.
For GPT devices you could also specify a new Label which is called PARTLABEL (/dev/disk/by-partlabel/), but this could also be used only with the help of a initramfs.

So for now, we have lots of different possibilities for naming and mounting a GPT device, which could be:
by-path
UUID
PARTUUID
LABEL
PARTLABEL

Converting MBR schemes to GPT is easy and possible without loosing the data on the devices, but for thumbdrives a bit more tricky/risky.
But using GPT thumbdrives for older Windows versions is often like playing roulette.

Best, Andy.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah there's the difference, GPT stores Partition UUID per partition versus MBR which does not have any identifier per partition. For MBR partition it depends on the underlying filesystem to expose a UUID, which still requires a user-space application to detect (maybe in the near future it won't?). Unfortunately for older devices and non-DOS devices probably don't understand GPT at all, so likely stuck with using MBR for a while...
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, MBR has PARTUUID as well. It's a pseudo-uuid, comprising of the disk identifier/NT disk signature and partition number. Something like 2b38f5ec-01 (first partition on the disk with a 2b38f5ec identifier). blkid from util-linux-2.24 will show it. If your partitions don't have it, you need to add a disk identifier to your disk - run fdisk, press x to enter expert mode, then press i. Kernels starting with 3.8 (I think) can boot from MBR disks with root=PARTUUID=2b38f5ec-01
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if the disk has a user created-unique UUID that's stored in the MBR somehow, then that works. Unfortunately this is somewhat nonstandard as this was not defined in the MSDOS days... and Windows/NT disk signatures is an add-on...

There's still a lot of esoteric boot situations that initramfs is needed however! I've held out so long against using them but eventually caved in and started using it where it made sense. Root filesystem on LVM on mdraid I guess still needs this, or has someone found a solution to this too?
k9dog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use initramfs to boot raids, usb sticks etc atm.

I lack a method of seeing what modules are used by the initrd, those used for fx. USB stick, so have a hard time adding them to kernel. Alternatively I could add more just guessing, but I'd prefer not adding all unneeded modules for the early start. Atm. just adding fir a Gentoo startup.

So currently stuck with the initramfs on usb and raids, but I'm using genkernel just for creating it for an initial entry to disks. Nothing else.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use an initrd fro root on raid, root in LVM and root in LVM on top of raid.

I have one system where I have root in LVM without an initrd. It works but logical volume manager is not happy.
I get to keep the pieces when ii fails too.
I really need to make it an initrd.

As I make my initrds to be kernel agnostic, I rarely make a new initrd. They are like firmware. Never updated, so I don't get much practice.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid using an initrd whenever i can. It's just extra complexity, and i don't want complexity in areas where it's not needed. I've also specifically made the software raid in my server using 0.90 metadata so the kernel can autodetect the arrays and i don't need an initrd.

My VPS has it's root in lvm, so i can't avoid having an initrd there. In that case i use genkernel to create it, i've placed the correct commandline for that in a script so i don't have to look it up every time :)

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate initramfs and see it the same as Helen Koike does (https://listman.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2019-February/msg00108.html).

LVM can be useful on servers with many disks, but not for a simple desktop or notebook with one or two disks. I have no need for it. The same with a raid; yes for servers.

I would never do a full disk encryption (because it is senseless) but of course I encrypt /home (no swap) on my notebook. I do this with fscrypt because it is (in my opinion) the best solution.

I do my own kernel configuration, so I have no need ever for initramfs.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
I have one system where I have root in LVM without an initrd. It works but logical volume manager is not happy.
I get to keep the pieces when ii fails too.
I really need to make it an initrd.

I'm impressed you can make root-on-LVM work without an initrd!

I've got a Busybox-based setup that assembles my initrd using a shell script. No kernel modules go in it, just Busybox, a statically linked LVM, and a few little scripts and configuration files. It can boot to a little rescue shell where it's even possible to rebuild the initrd.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
As I make my initrds to be kernel agnostic, I rarely make a new initrd. They are like firmware. Never updated, so I don't get much practice.

That's the great benefit of building those disk and video drivers in the kernel. That's what I do every time.

It's another of my tools I might get around to documenting and posting someday.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only to load Intel microcode. Does that count?
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've developed my own little tool (I've not yet found a good name for the tool...) to build up the initramfs cpio. Since it only gathers files (smartly) into cpio, I needed to write the init script(s) there. That way I've learned how initramfs really works. This way I managed to write a good rescue environment there. And the rescue part of it is the real reason I use initramfs. It's nice to have ready to use rescue environment rather than trying to find that old, dusty, bitten by dog, USB rescue stick. :P
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca,

You know about the kernel provided tool?
/usr/src/linux/usr/gen_init_cpio

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
You know about the kernel provided tool?
/usr/src/linux/usr/gen_init_cpio
Yes. I looked at it but it lacks (lacked?) some feature I currently don't remember.

The tool I developed only kind of extends cpio. It can handle some dependencies, like module and firmware and those which are found by ldd. But that's it.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy necro...

Seems that microcode no longer requires initramfs to load, but I do wonder how the kernel vulnerabilities work when microcode is updated, seems it needs to re-check (among a lot of other things that do CPU-checks like mdraid speed checks and technically even bogomips) after a microcode upgrade?

root on lvm is actually still nice for desktop/laptop SSDs if you're prone to reconfiguring partition sizes frequently, it helps reduce partition moves which is a lot of unnecessary wear on the SSD. For mechanical HDDs, gparted will do just fine and will keep fragmentation down.

Also I still haven't cleaned up my cache target LVM initramfs. Sigh. If only I had a lot of spare SSDs lying around to experiment with.
lekto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It started because of luks+lvm, at first it was genkernel, but I felt it was doing too much of work behind curtain, I don't understood it and I didn't have enough knowledge to check how it is working, so I went with custom initramfs.
Few years with only custom initramfs until I bought two books on humble bundle: "Introducing ZFS on Linux" and "Hand-on Booting". First book convinced me to try ZFS - instead of having systems with mdraid, cryptsetup, lvm2 and btrfs, I can only use one tool. But there was one problem: making custom initramfs that works with ZFS. Every time I was failing this because ZFS doesn't have static use flag and I was getting initramfs that doesn't worked or when using emerge with ROOT variable I was getting over 100MB initramfs. The second book came to rescue: there was lots of information about dracut, so I tried it and it just worked.
Now every machine I have has dracut, except two: old dell laptop that wasn't powered on in at least 3 years and my old router/nas just in case I would broke it.
Also having booting into rescue environment by adding "rd.break" to kernel command line is much more convenient than searching for thumb drive with Gentoo.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an initramfs built with genkernel on a laptop running Gentoo Testing (~amd64) but no initramfs on another laptop running Gentoo Stable (amd64). Both also use an initrd solely to load the latest Intel microcode for their respective CPU. In my use cases I don't find any advantage in using an initramfs as far as building/rebuilding the kernel is concerned, as I'm not doing anything fancy in the installations and, when building/rebuilding a kernel I often want to view or change something in the kernel config in any case. If I need to install Gentoo on another machine in future, I would opt not to use an initramfs unless it were essential for some particular reason.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
linksLarry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you use an initramfs? Reply with quote

Huh, guess I can't answer polls with links?! (Or I havn't figured it out)

I am with the (currently) 5% in the yes (other) category.

My reason is simple, I did not wan't to change my bios (I think legacy or something is needed, if I am wrong I will gladly ditch the fluff)

I built my computer with Windows (I know, gross; but with $5,000ish on the line I wanted to know it worked) and used to switch between fedora and gentoo nvme's like they were usb's. Now I am challenging myself to stick with no java gentoo, but it ain't easy! No github, only yahoo email option, and I'm sure i'll find other problem sites.

THANK YOU FORUM DEVS FOR NOT REQUIRING JAVA

tbh your question has me considering a change.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: