Problems connecting to gentoo.org
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siknasa9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Problems connecting to gentoo.org Reply with quote

Not sure of this is the right place to talk about this, but for a few months now I have had trouble connecting to any Gentoo servers. If I go to gentoo.org or, especially, forums.gentoo.org via a web browser it usually fails the first time and shows like image one. Once I hit try again, it connects like normal. Also, as you can see in image 2, whenever I try to sync my overlays, it fails to grab the repositories.xml and has so for about 4 months. Sometimes if I ping gentoo.org a few times until it actually stops saying unknown host first, it will retrieve the xml. Other times it cuts out too quickly and does not. My Google searches for this problem have all said to wait because the servers were just having problems. I think I've waited long enough and should look elsewhere, though, since gentoo.org is the only site this happens to, I don't know where else to look. Hoping someone here might have some hints. Thanks.

Image 1

Image 2
siknasa9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update: I can't access gentoo.org on any system in my house except the laptop. Every other one defaults to http://localhost/path/to/files/on/gentoo/site which obviously gives me a not found error. I have checked the router, host files, and everything I can think of otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this mystery problem too. If you are using your ISP's DNS server (the ones assigned automatically by the ISP DHCP server), you might try some others and see if the problem is resolved. This shouldn't be necessary, but it seems to resolve the problem for me.

Google Public DNS

OpenDNS

Level3 (use only for testing)

You might want to just append one or more of these to the end of your dns servers (how to do this is left to the reader as an exercise).
siknasa9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wonder if the ISP is tracking me now because a day after I posted this, the problem went away. We'll see how long that lasts and then I will try changing the DNS. I didn't think I should have had to which is why I didn't, but perhaps that would be the only answer. Thanks for the reply.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are tracking you. Leave the house immediately.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: