View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* notebook (Lenovo T61p) - ~amd64 - used a general purpose workstation, depending on the task at hand. used for java coding back at university, writing by thesis in TeX with kile, virtualisation host (mainly virtualbox), some games, but mainly for usual office work.
* desktop (homebrew AMD Phenom X6 workhorse)- ~amd64 hardened - triple boot with windows7 (for games) and archlinux (previous short term main install)
* home server (Zotac Zbox)- amd64 hardended - I might just call it directory server: LAMP, ldap, kerberos, dhcp, dns, rsync (portage mirror)

Future Plans:
* replacing my notebook (with an Lenovo X220) - currently unsure, if i should go with normal or hardened install.
* homebrew nas/server - but I guess this one will use FreeBSD, as i want ZFS - which is not (don't count fuse) available on linux - for storage.

V.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you use Gentoo for?

I use Gentoo as an operating system, exclusively since 2004 (except some servers).
ShadowCat8
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....
Angrychile wrote:
What do you use Gentoo for?

Personally:
  1. My main desktop at home has 2 different installs of Gentoo on it along with a couple other (testing) distros.
  2. My laptop has Gentoo installed on it.
  3. I have Gentoo running on 2 home servers.

Professionally:
  1. My main desktop at the office runs Gentoo, for development as well as administrative tasks (e.g. Check the network, sniff the boss' system output to see if he caught another virus, etc.)
  2. Our datacenter has 3 installs of Gentoo for different services (2 in VM instances, one on bare metal), and I am increasing that as time and resources allow.
  3. 2 development testing servers and 2 staging servers.

About to add another Gentoo server to our office network for consolidating updates, as well. ;)

HTH.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desktop - AMD Athlon X2 - No-Multilib

an 8GB Flash Drive - AMD64 with gcc-4.7-r1

Have a screwed up desktop and the flash drive holds a duplicate of everything installed. Will be using it as the host system for reinstalling on the desktop starting on Friday, March 22, 2013

Once that's done, will reconfigure the flash drive as a portable Gentoo install for any x86_64 based systems
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me first say that I'm a 60 year old man, now in disability retirement because of asthma. I started with computing on CP/M in the early Eighties. In the Nineties I worked in a group that maintained about 500 Unix System V servers all over Norway. I tried several Linux distros before I found Gentoo in 2003, which I instantly fell in love with. I first did a test installation on an old 266MHz Pentium 2 laptop; it took about 8 days to install the system from Stage 1 :)

Then I went on to install Gentoo on my Pentium 3 desktop (1 GHz, 500 MB RAM). At that time I dual-booted with Windows 2000. I upgraded to a Pentium 4 (3GHz, 1GB RAM) in 2004. At that point, I didn't care to have Windows on the system anymore.

My current system, since September 2010:

Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl, Fans: 1x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Rear, Noise dampened, ATX, mATX, mITX, USB 3.0
    Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-650C 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 140mm Fan
    Intel Core# i7 Quad Processor i7-930 Quad Core, 2.8Ghz, Socket 1366, 8MB, 130W, Boxed w/fan
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, X58 Socket-1366, DDR3, ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6Gb/s 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16, Revision 2.0
    Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 6GB Kit w/3X HyperX 2GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27 Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7
    ASUS EN210 512 MB DDR2 fanless graphic card. (A bit low-end, but works just fine)
    Samsung DVD/RW

Screen: Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 fed via HDMI cable, keyboard: SteelSeries 6GV2, mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2. All wonderful pieces of hardware.

Last year I upgraded the disk set to:

2 * 1 TB Western Digital Black in RAID-1 for the system
4 * 2 TB Western Digital Black in RAID-5 for /home

Code:
balapapa ~ # df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs          504G   13G  467G   3% /
udev             10M  8,0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md1        504G   13G  467G   3% /
tmpfs           3,0G  916K  3,0G   1% /run
shm             3,0G     0  3,0G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md5        5,5T  1,2T  4,1T  22% /home

I love to have lots of space :)

My pet project is a Postgres genealogy database with a PHP interface. It's about 120 MB on disk and it's running like a bat out of hell on this rig.

The desktop is KDE, and I work mainly in KWrite and Firefox.
Yamazaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]What do I use Gentoo for?[/]

Basically everything, it's my everyday OS. I tried all the major distributions (Debian, Slack, Arch, and others) and forks before. The only one I could really tolerate for any length of time was Debian Stable and Sid. It was rock solid and stable, but I didn't really feel compelled to do much with it.

My first four attempts at installing Gentoo failed, then I said "to heck with it" and installed Sabayon. After a week of playing and trashing it several times (first time I learned about compiling Chromium, too) , I had a much better idea where I was going wrong with my Gentoo installs.

After another three attempts, I finally got it!

Outside of a few pukes here and there, it's been surprisingly stable.
iixaka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

installed gentoo as a learning experience, now i run it exclusively on my desktop and laptop
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use gentoo for everything, except for itunes
swathe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically use Gentoo for everything. Home desktop (AMD 1055T ) running AMD64 stable does all my gaming, media serving web browsing etc.

I also run Gentoo on my work laptop (Dell Latitude E5500)

It makes it hard seeing as my day job is the manager and chief sysadmin of a IT Department that is a Windows shop. Not hard into get things done, but hard to put up with Windows when I'm used to something infinitely better with Gentoo.
NiHaoMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it for just about everything. Web browsing, embedded software development, gaming, and countless others. The only home computers I use often that don't run Gentoo are the Android tablets, LOL.
OpenDAC HD | Xiaomi Piston 3

Say no to GMOs!
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: lessee Reply with quote

Home:

authoritative dns and mail server, firewall server, desktop with ext4 based md raid and hypervisor to about a dozen vm's, wine and game vm server and btrfs mirror experiment, mythtv box and btrfs raid experiment, mythtv box, netbook, laptop

Work:

hypervisor to a couple of dozen vm's, hypervisor to primary windows desktop (and other vm's), subversion server, vm farm to hardened reference platforms (half dozen), HP thin client replacement image for ancient debian, trivial ftp and nfs server for board level development, board level server for specialty hardware (core i7), hypervisor hosting a Win 2k3 domain controller, replacement for debian o/s in a backblaze storage pod with about 100tb in xfs filesystem.
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dalu on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo as a way build my own distribution for our server cluster and have for 8 years now. Excluding one festering problem growing in importance, it has worked fantastic for me.

That problem of course is the increasing delay for packages to be stabilized in portage. MySQL 5.5 was released over 2 1/2 years old and is still unstable. Apache 2.4 was released a year and 4 months ago. Projects such as Horde are 2 full versions back.

I've tested and submitted new ebuilds as version-bump bugs and it still takes months for them to be accepted even into unstable - if ever. Ebuilds where nothing needed to change save for the file name. And yes, I put in a dev application a few years back.

Gentoo is the best distro hands down. But if it continues to lag behind others in package availability, *shudders* I might have to pick a different distro for where Gentoo fails.

Oh, and I use Gentoo on all my embedded devices. NSLU2, Buffalo MiniStation, Tegra 2 Harmony boards. :)
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshin,

The fact that those ebuilds aren't stabilized doesn't mean they aren't usable. You can always submit a stabilization request (there already are some), but there are blocking bugs against them.
Debian also doesn't use the most recent versions and everything is fine, there are no GLSA's against the currently stabilized packages. Newer is not always better, especially in enterprise environments.

If you have some ebuilds, I suggest you simply set up your own public overlay, that usually makes them look more viable.

You could try proxy maintaining horde. That could also help your dev application.

You could also try installing the packages from other distro repos, using dpkg or pacman and then putting them in packages.provided.
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smartass,

I'm well aware of all of what you said - note the difference in our reg dates. :p

For most of the stabilization requests I've made, there are no blocking issues. But when it takes months for a version bump requiring nothing to be changed (nagios & nagios-core) to be put through, or in that case, still not yet, it gets old fast. **Edited to correct: Nagios did need a slight change - a patch for 3.3.1 is no longer needed for 3.5.0 - see bug 468046*

And while newer isn't always better, newer is better than bit-rotted. It is the increasing amount of bit-rot that I'm disturbed by. Especially on the stuff that is most interesting for enterprise environments - which is exactly what I'm frustrated by.

The public overlay idea isn't a bad one, thanks! I already have a private one. *adds to To-Do list* And again, most of the ebuilds in it are just renamed to pick up the latest version. Becoming a dev is not interesting to me anymore. I dropped my application after a couple of ***hole devs on #gentoo-amd64 cheered the death of a friend who worked at MSFT. Who would want to work with someone who cheered the death of a guy just because he worked at MSFT Research? Now, I contribute as a (usually) more-clueful user.

As to proxy maintaining Horde, I just wanted to try it and see how well it worked. I'm not interested in marrying it just because I messed around with it once. Using packages from other distros is an option, but it quickly becomes a nightmare for maintenance - avoiding that crap is why I use Gentoo in the first place. In this case, I'll just clone my Ubuntu template (needed for a different finicky service) and install it there.

-J

P.S. I love your handle. My motto: Tis better to be a smartass than a dumbs**t

smartass wrote:
joshin,

The fact that those ebuilds aren't stabilized doesn't mean they aren't usable. You can always submit a stabilization request (there already are some), but there are blocking bugs against them.
Debian also doesn't use the most recent versions and everything is fine, there are no GLSA's against the currently stabilized packages. Newer is not always better, especially in enterprise environments.

If you have some ebuilds, I suggest you simply set up your own public overlay, that usually makes them look more viable.

You could try proxy maintaining horde. That could also help your dev application.

You could also try installing the packages from other distro repos, using dpkg or pacman and then putting them in packages.provided.
mvaterlaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo for almost everything (except gaming). All of my computers, including the one at work, are running gentoo.

home:
- server intel atom dualcore with a stable 32 bit install (my internal lamp, samba and bind server)
- i7 quadcore with 24 gb of ram running dualboot win7 / gentoo amd64 stable
- t500 intel core duo running gentoo amd64 stable
- hp proliant dl360 g4 running adm64 hardened stable (this one is new for me, I got it from a customer of ours, which now has a new server :D ). this one is going to be a additional build server / portage host with distcc and crossdev. It won't be running 24/7 since this thing is awfully loud.

work:
- intel core 2 running amd64 stable (after having debian stable installed and an update ruined boot process, I decided to run gentoo at work)
- intel xeon x3230 dual core running amd64 stable (server used as build server [distcc and crossdev for the pi] / portage host for all folks using gentoo at my office)

since the first true linux distro I tried is gentoo, i sometimes have a hard time when needing to administrate a fedora machine. but I won't change my distro, since I've learnd a lot of stuff just from using gentoo (the first linux certificate I attended was a piece of cake).
Drasica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal desktop and laptop (though my laptop also dual-boots windows). My work linux machines have always been Ubuntu usually because that's what the company installs.
el_Salmon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays I only run Gentoo for personal usage in my laptop. It's a little bit sad but it requires some time to configure the first time and also to keep update (not so much actually) but I have not enough time. For HTPC I use MacOSX, for my home server (Raspberry Pi) use Debian and for job I have to use SLES (SuSE).
kriz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo - love at first sight :)
Cynede
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Development notebook / VM
- Server but I don't maintain any server currently
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo both on my general purpose desktop and my server. I love it. :D
drhouse123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo on my:

DC E6500 2.93 Ghz

4GB Ram DDR2

NVIDIA GT 630

For everything, gaming and lamp server.

Desktop is KDE

I plans to move Samsung N150 to Gentoo i686 with kde, stage4 is already prepared.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it installed on my laptop and my netbook. I don't use any other os. Installed it in order to learn a bit more and I was very curious to try out portage after watching a vid on youtube. I don't program and I don't run any servers, just everyday use and tinkering. I love how simple it feels compared to Debian (my previous distro of choice), maybe that's just a feeling I've gotten from the installation process.
Love the speed, gentoolkit, openrc, portage and as I was surprised to discover, the stability. I don't even bother trying out other distros out anymore.
LowEndGeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use if for everything, this is my one and only machine (a laptop)

where I game, work, live and play,
i run only gentoo
and wouldn't have it any other way
some say i'm a fool
but still, to this day
I say it's linux for me, and linux for you
-world
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is actually my only OS, I've been using for 3 months, is perfect. I installed on a netbook, I just listen music, browse in Internet, and so....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: