Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Hardened Gentoo /w grsec and ati-drivers - is it worth it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Hardened Gentoo /w grsec and ati-drivers - is it worth it? Reply with quote

Hi,

I wanted to try hardened profile, so I've built minimal hardened system next to my current one to try it out and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Reasons:
1) With ati-drivers, one needs to disable MPROTECT on anything that uses libGL, which includes kwin, mplayer (with gl video output) and, most importantly, firefox (yes, it doesn't start even with no JIT support).
2) I also need Skype. It works on hardened (even though it's masked), but again, MPROTECT needs to be disabled for the binary.

So in the end two applications, which run basically all the time (firefox and skype), connect with outside world and thus are the most likely to be prone to possible exploits, need MPROTECT disabled.

I know that grsec in not only about MPROTECT, but it seems by disabling it you lose a lot and I'm not sure whether what remains is worth using hardened.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UnK

Thought someone would have replied by now; not using hardened, myself. You might try #gentoo-chat and #gentoo-hardened on IRC: chat.freenode.net

HTH
steveL.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: