ebuild install is much slower than before
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: ebuild install is much slower than before Reply with quote

I realized that the install part calls /usr/lib/portage/bin/install.py if in a makefile "install" is specified instead of "/usr/bin/install".

This however seems to vastly slow down the installation part at a system, where I do boot from (and therefore install to an external USB 2.0 drive, especially for packages with a lot of installation files like pingus and phpmyadmin.

Now I'm wondering if something was change in the way portage handles the installation -or- if my external hard disk is dying -or- if the call of the python does now cost much more than in former times ?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using nvidia-drivers this bug may be apposite (latter is dupe of first, but is the same issue of portage slowing down.) Solution: downgrade.

People in #-portage have also mentioned FEATURES=xattr as an issue. (Turn it off;) I think this is more likely as it will affect the install phase most of all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: