[SOLVED] I don't understand these portage messages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] I don't understand these portage messages Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo on my laptop in March of this year, "for practice". Then I installed Gentoo on my main computer, which I've been using ever since. I update the main computer regularly (maybe once a month). So far I've always managed to make sense of the sometimes cryptic "after installation" messages.

Last night I updated the laptop for the first time since the initial installation. The laptop essentially has nothing installed except the basic installation, plus leafpad, urxvt, spacefm, and alsa/vlc. Previously it had some qt/kde stuff (dolphin, rekonq, konsole), but I uninstalled every scrap of kde/qt I could find before updating. It was a completely kitless install, so there was no kit stuff to uninstall.

144 packages were updated. There were 23 messages and I couldn't understand some of them, so I'm leaving the laptop running until I can figure them out. Please bear with me, I know these must seem like stupid questions to most of you.

Code:
 * Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.30:

* /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for convenience
 * If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of every --sync:                                                                                                                                         ]
 *    # chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize

What does this accomplish or not accomplish, depending on whether one does it or doesn't do it, whatever "it" is?

Code:
* Messages for package sys-boot/grub-0.97-r12:

* To avoid automounting and auto(un)installing with /boot,
 * just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable.
 * *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
 * the new version's stage1 to your MBR.  Until you do,
 * stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
 * later stages will be the new version, which could
 * cause problems such as an unbootable system.
 * This means you must use either grub-install or perform
 * root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
 * To interactively install grub files to another device such as a USB                                                                                                                                            ]
 * stick, just run the following and specify the directory as prompted:
 *    emerge --config =grub-0.97-r12                                                                                                                                                                              ]
 * Alternately, you can export GRUB_ALT_INSTALLDIR=/path/to/use to tell
 * grub where to install in a non-interactive way.

I did
Code:
grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda

Is that enough to satisfy the portage suggestion? I'm running grub legacy with eudev. There is no systemd stuff installed and there is no initramfs.

Code:
* Messages for package sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2:

*              ]
 * For information on how to configure GRUB2 please refer to the guide:
 *     http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
 * A migration guide for GRUB Legacy users is available:
 *     http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml
 * Install dev-libs/libisoburn to enable creation of rescue media using grub2-mkrescue.                                                                                                                           ]

I don't want to use grub2. What do I need to do?

There's more I don't understand, but that's enough to get started! Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ElleStone

Last edited by ElleStone on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand these portage messages Reply with quote

ElleStone wrote:
Code:
 * Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.30:

* /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for convenience
 * If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of every --sync:                                                                                                                                         ]
 *    # chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize

What does this accomplish or not accomplish, depending on whether one does it or doesn't do it, whatever "it" is?

Some of it tools need it such that instead of the tool having to ask you to rebuild the database as root, it runs right away; `qgrep ...` for example does this.

So, rebuilding the database upon sync makes you have it ready when you need it for the tool. So, postsync.d/q-reinitialize does what the name says, it makes q ready for you after syncing.

ElleStone wrote:
Code:
* Messages for package sys-boot/grub-0.97-r12:

* *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
 * the new version's stage1 to your MBR.  Until you do,
 * stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
 * later stages will be the new version, which could
 * cause problems such as an unbootable system.
 * This means you must use either grub-install or perform
 * root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
 * To interactively install grub files to another device such as a USB                                                                                                                                            ]
 * stick, just run the following and specify the directory as prompted:
 *    emerge --config =grub-0.97-r12                                                                                                                                                                              ]
 * Alternately, you can export GRUB_ALT_INSTALLDIR=/path/to/use to tell
 * grub where to install in a non-interactive way.

I did
Code:
grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda

Is that enough to satisfy the portage suggestion? I'm running grub legacy with eudev. There is no systemd stuff installed and there is no initramfs.

I don't have GRUB Legacy anymore, but this seems to tell two things; (1) is that it will try to mount and install for you unless you `export DONT_MOUNT_BOOT=1` before running emerge (or put it in package.env), (2) seems to say a lot for what is kind of equal to "you must update the grub on your boot by reading the handbook and documentation and doing the grub steps again; if you don't, mismatching versions could break boot".

ElleStone wrote:
Code:
* Messages for package sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2:

*              ]
 * For information on how to configure GRUB2 please refer to the guide:
 *     http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
 * A migration guide for GRUB Legacy users is available:
 *     http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml
 * Install dev-libs/libisoburn to enable creation of rescue media using grub2-mkrescue.                                                                                                                           ]

I don't want to use grub2. What do I need to do?

There's more I don't understand, but that's enough to get started! Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ElleStone

`emerge -c sys-boot/grub:2` will unmerge any version in SLOT 2 of sys-boot/grub; so, it will unmerge any version of grub2. Because it is -c and not -C, it will also unmerge any dependencies of it which no other packages of your system need anymore.
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thank you very much for replying. However, I think I have messed up the laptop to the point of needing a reinstall. I accidentally upgraded gcc and then accidentally removed the previous gcc. Now nothing will build.
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way I can chroot into the installation and fix this mess that I stupidly got myself into?
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post enabled me to solve the gcc problem: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-948028-start-0.html

The problem was I didn't select the new gcc, so nothing new would build.

I don't think I'm using grub2, because I restarted the laptop with no problems. I will mark this as solved.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElleStone wrote:
Is there a way I can chroot into the installation and fix this mess that I stupidly got myself into?

If needed, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chroot for reference; it boils down to doing the mount & chroot steps from the handbook again.
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElleStone wrote:
This post enabled me to solve the gcc problem: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-948028-start-0.html

The problem was I didn't select the new gcc, so nothing new would build.

I don't think I'm using grub2, because I restarted the laptop with no problems. I will mark this as solved.

Though grub2 was emerged, it won't actually be active unless you install it. Guide here, if you so desire: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub2-migration.xml

It up to you to switch or not. If you decide not to switch, you'll want to request grub legacy, so it doesn't get unmerged if you do a depclean.

Code:
emerge --noreplace sys-boot/grub:0
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: