Path Of Exile FPS workarounds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromaf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Path Of Exile FPS workarounds Reply with quote

Hi, I have been playing POE for few days now, with wine 1.6, Kernel 11.5. While disabling GLDL via winetricks improves the FPS drops, I actually still do get Frame drops on a very crowded party. And it turns horrible in the Dominus sanctuary ( the finall boss )

I would like to know what could I do to improve this, as this is clearly not a hardware problem. I have a 12 core processor, 16 GB RAM and an Nvidia GTX 760 with 2GB of RAM. The only thing I have detected that is wrong is the card the game says I have, it says another Nvidia model that I think it's even more powerful ( the 8800 GTX ) so I think something is wrong there. Do you know how to fix it or something that can make it improve ? By the way the rest of wine applications I use detect my card properly.

Thanks
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Path Of Exile FPS workarounds Reply with quote

Teegrins, chromaf!

I only played the ßeta for a little bit, so I can't say much, but for the time that I did play, I certainly didn't notice such issues with my GTX 275. Have you tried the latest development version of Wine (1.7.5 at the time of writing)? I'd recommend on giving that a whirl, for quite a bit of work has been done after 1.6.

I'd also recommend on trying out with a clean prefix, if you haven't done that yet.

Next, if it really says 8800 GTX, that was released in 2006, so your 760 (released in 2013 I believe) should be quite a “bit” more powerful (as to why it reports it wrong, I don't have any immediate ideas).
chromaf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the patches are not in to 1.7.5, better to compile the 1.7.1 and apply the patches right ? I will try to compile it by hand as I don't know any other methods to do it via ebuilds, and there is a git repo published already patched. I just need to know the dependencies for it so it can compile ... why don't you play anymore ? It's getting better and better :) Good successor to D2, that I was playing until two weeks ago :) Long time D2 player here !
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromaf wrote:
So if the patches are not in to 1.7.5, better to compile the 1.7.1 and apply the patches right ?

More precisely, they will only apply to 1.7.1; trying to apply them to any other version will result into failures spectaculum. I have not, however, followed them closely thereafter so I can't say that it's not possible that there are patch-sets floating around for later releases (I doubt it, but I could be very wrong).

chromaf wrote:
I will try to compile it by hand as I don't know any other methods to do it via ebuilds, and there is a git repo published already patched. I just need to know the dependencies for it so it can compile ...

It would not be too difficult to modify an existing ebuild to fetch the 1.7.1 source instead, add the patches, and install from a local overlay. I still prefer using git, but then again, I play with the Wine sources quite a bit more than just wanting to get to use these patches. ^^;

If one is not interested into playing with ebuilds, it would also skip that part.

Moreover, if you didn't have the dependencies, you would have been told about it at configure phase (I think). I will talk more about that in a reply to your other post.

chromaf wrote:
why don't you play anymore ? It's getting better and better :) Good successor to D2, that I was playing until two weeks ago :) Long time D2 player here !

Meh, I liked Diablo (1) the best. Diablo 2 was/is probably “just OK” to me though I did play it quite a bit back when. Path of Exile I tried mostly just to check problems a friend reported (regarding Wine). I also imagined it would have been related to another series of games titled Exile, but how wrong was I there! It seems fine, but I guess I don't have the time to get involved with more games right now at least.

Lack of time, or want. Probably both. ^^;
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: