View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcomy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: 3d tv Reply with quote

Hi all,

I bought a 42" LG FullHD 3D TV and I'm anxious to try the 3D feature. Searching on Google I found a VLC wiki:

Quote:
https://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2011/Stereoscopic_Video/

where they explain how to enable stereoscopic support; unfortunately this is for windows compilations and not Linux. I really don't understand how this 3D process works, so I need some extra information to get the basic knowledge on this matter.
Can anyone help me on getting this set?

Regards!
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only stereoscopic 3D I've succeeded in producing on Linux through my 3DTV has been via the TV's ability to render "side by side" (or vertical above/below) video input as proper stereoscopic 3D (using the left half of the video frame as the whole screen for one eye, and the right half as the whole screen for the other, so that the 3D glasses give me true 3D). Simply playing a side-by-side (or over/under) 3D video using mplayer or any other video player in fullscreen, and putting the TV into the appropriate 3D mode, has worked. The only potential problem is that (with my TV, at least) you have to send your video data via HDMI: it won't go into 3D mode using the old-fashioned computer monitor input (which I actually prefer, since the HDMI input doesn't kick in until X starts using it...i.e. it doesn't show the BIOS boot messages etc.).

The stereoscopic player "bino" (in portage) is a good 3D player because it can take a 3D video and display it in various different formats (it can even take two separate video files and send one to each eye). Unfortunately I've never succeeded in getting it to output anything that my TV would recognise as full screen 3D: I'm still forced to use the half-width side-by-side mode, so on the rare occasions I want to play a 3D clip, I just use mplayer.

In theory, I think it should be possible to tweak your xorg.conf so that a mode matching your TV's expectations for fullscreen 3D can be selected, and then use a player like bino to send alternate frames via that mode...but after much trying this without success, I gave up. Perhaps it's only possible with the stereoscopic 3D support that nVidia's "Quadro" cards have in their driver? If anyone has succeeded in getting a non-Quadro card to produce true fullscreen stereoscopic 3D that their 3DTV displays properly through its glasses, I'd love to know how.
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_irl wrote:
In theory, I think it should be possible to tweak your xorg.conf so that a mode matching your TV's expectations for fullscreen 3D can be selected, and then use a player like bino to send alternate frames via that mode...but after much trying this without success, I gave up. Perhaps it's only possible with the stereoscopic 3D support that nVidia's "Quadro" cards have in their driver? If anyone has succeeded in getting a non-Quadro card to produce true fullscreen stereoscopic 3D that their 3DTV displays properly through its glasses, I'd love to know how.

Haven't yet tried it myself, but are you aware of the following: http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/bino-list/2011-03/msg00033.html?

ad
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your TV is connected one, a better choice should be to use DNLA.
I'm doing that on my (very good) Panasonic + a home cinema and the result is simply smashing !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: