CUPS doesn't work correctly after update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSmallOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: CUPS doesn't work correctly after update Reply with quote

Hi, this is basically a dup of this thread (german), but since it looks like noone in the german section has a solution for me, I'd like to try here, were (I hope) more people read my problem.

My situation: For several years I've been using a Lexmark E250dn printer. It's connected via network (IP: 10.1.1.13). I'm using the official PPD-file from the Lexmark website and in CUPS the printer is connected as ipp://10.1.1.13/
This configuration worked for several years and it still works, when I use the version: cups-1.5.2-r4
However, when I make the update to cups-1.6.2-r5 it won't work anymore. When I try to print a file nothing happens. After a few seconds the webinterface (of cups) tells me that the job was completed, but the printer didn't recieve a file.
I compared the communication between the two CUPS versions with wireshark and I can see, that the new CUPS doesn't even send the file to print to the printer. But it's still communicating with the device.
While searching for a solution, I've found out, that I can make the printer work with the newer CUPS, when configuring as socket://10.1.1.13 but in this case it's awfully slow and it takes several minutes for a page to print.

(BTW, it's not just one PC. I can confirm the behaviour with all of my gentoo machines)

I don't really want to be bound to an old version of cups, neither do I want to wait forever until printing finishes.

Does anyone have an idea, what I can do, or where I can ask for help?
I've tried to go to the official cups website http://www.cups.org/ but it tells me that bug-tracker and mailinglists are offline at the moment.
pcmaster
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with my HP Laserjet 1320 printer. After CUPS upgrade, the printer can't print anymore.

When I try to print, the printer remains with the green led flashing, that means that it receives data, but don't print anything and, after some time, stops with the three leds on (critical error).

I'm trying to recompile hplip, but at the moment the only solutions seems donwgrade CUPS to an earlier version.
bandreabis
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here.
Activated also USE flags avahi and zeroconfig (I read something at the end of the compilation), but no luck.

Now masked 1.6 versions.
Portage just dropped arches for older versions!
TheSmallOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcmaster wrote:
When I try to print, the printer remains with the green led flashing, that means that it receives data, but don't print anything and, after some time, stops with the three leds on (critical error).

So your printer at least recieves something.
As I wrote in my posting: In ipp-mode CUPS doesn't even send the data to my printer but then claims the job was successfully done. (and socket-mode is slow as hell)

bandreabis wrote:
Now masked 1.6 versions.
Portage just dropped arches for older versions!

Keeping an old version shouldn't be the best solution.

I'd really like to talk about this issue with the people behind CUPS. Couldn't they set up at least some temporary mailing list. :(
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time there is a major update to cups I also run into this problem and I have to jump through several hoops to fix it. I am currently running net-print/cups-1.6.2-r5 along with an HP-Officejet-Pro-L7680 printer. I also use hplip (on my gentoo server) to assist in locating and configuring the printer. Without knowing any particular system setups it is hard to tell just where problems are occurring. In any case once I set up my system several years ago all I have had to do after major updates to cups was to manually edit the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to get my printer working again.

Connection to printer in cups web interface (Connection: hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7600?ip=192.168.0.110)

My relevant /etc/cups/cupsd.conf changes.
Code:

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Port 631<-----added by me
#Listen localhost:631<-----removed by me
Listen /run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny <-----added by me
BrowseAllow all <-----added by me
BrowseLocalProtocols
BrowseAddress @LOCAL <-----added by me

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL <-----added by me

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL <-----added by me
</Location>

Hope this helps
hefe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: try version=1.0 in ipp-address Reply with quote

When i updated to cupsd-1.6.2-r5 lately, printing was broken on one printer but not on the other. Some process, which showed as "ipp..." in top, went up to 100% cpu after submitting the job, but not print. I found that the following change did the trick:
Working fine until update:
Code:
ipp://172.16.71.146:631/HPLJ5?waitjob=false

Working after update:
Code:
ipp://172.16.71.146:631/HPLJ5?waitjob=false&version=1.0

Note that there are three options: 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0. Maybe the new cupsd changed its default and the printer cannot talk with newer protocol?
Maybe you try that.
sgarcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I **do** want to be tied to an old version of cups, but this appears not to be an option. All keywords other than ~m68k have been removed from net-print/cups-1.5.3.

I foolishly allowed my system to be upgraded from 1.5.3 to 1.6.2, and it's been nothing but an nightmare. It appears that Apple has decided that all those features that were useful for non-Apple users weren't very important and we might as well remove them.

This means that browsing for network printers is disabled by default, and "finishing" steps such as staples seem to be removed entirely. What exactly do we get in return? Nothing that I can see.

I'm more than happy to step back to 1.5.3, since that's the last version that actually worked, but the ebuild has been gutted.

Does somebody have a working ebuild for 1.5.3?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: