stage3-amd64-20131010.tar.bz2 not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fnadaud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: stage3-amd64-20131010.tar.bz2 not working Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo from stage3 archive stage3-amd64-20131010.tar.bz2 but env-update and emerge-webrsync are throwing this error:

!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage'

and indeed I see no /usr/portage directory after untaring the stage3 archive, which I think is a bug. Or am I missing something?

[/bug]
Savoritias
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-972288.html
fnadaud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savoritias wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-972288.html

Indeed, that was the same issue. It would be worth adding a few words in the handbook regarding this problem: can save some time to newbies.

I managed very quickly to get gentoo booting and a command line. I then tried to install xfce. It took a couple of hours of compilation, then got an error: must install xinit first---didn't see that in the handbook. So I installed xinit. Next error: must install x-server---didn't see that in the handbook either. So I tried installing x-server, but then got some conflicts in packages (already? I thought I had a minimal install) and some complaints about USE variables that I should change but no direction regarding which ones...

Ok, so I guess this becomes too technical for me. The entrance ticket is indeed expensive and I cannot afford it (although I'd love to, but time is such a scarce resource for me these days). I'll have to stick to Ubuntu. Sigh...
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing about missing /usr/portage is rather strange - not sure why the directory isn't included in the stage3.

If you managed to get a working, bootable CLI Gentoo congratulations on that - it takes others quite a while to manage that, so you seem to be on a good way.
The handbook is indeed intended for more or less just that - get a bootable Gentoo Linux. In order to get a graphical environment, I recommend taking a look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop, where you will find a lot of useful information regarding different DEs, installing and beautifying them.

Package conflicts right in the beginning are, regrettably, not that rare. I have them every time I install Gentoo on a new machine. For me it is ALWAYS the "cups" useflag that I have to temporarily disable in order to get around that issue.

If portage complains about changing use variables it usually tells you which ones it wants changed. For a beginner, the output of emerge might be confusing at times, so you probably overlooked it.
I'm sure that if you post the output here, there'll be an answer to which useflags you need to change in no time, and probably an explanation how you can determine it yourself next time emerge complains.

If time is really an issue, Gentoo might not be for you - but I can tell you from more than 6 years of using Gentoo that once you've got the system up and running, it won't take that much time to keep it that way. Just make sure you run updates about once a month (or every other month) - updating too rarely can result in a very nasty portage puzzle that might take some time to resolve.
Now it's time for the harvest
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The portage snapshot makes its own portage directory when it's unpacked in /usr, but I've always
thought an empty portage directory wouldn't hurt and might help.

I'm surprised xfce doesn't depend on X - try emerging xorg-x11 and see if that makes things easier.
(And don't add the doc flag to anything - emerging with USE=doc is definitely painful, though
since I think docs are essential I keep it set.)

Will
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In earlier versions of the handbook you were told to download a snapshot and unpack it. However, now it says use emerge-webrsync. Of course it is more comfortable than downloading a snapshot and unpacking it (well, slightly), but there should be a note that you ought to make a new directory in /usr.
Now it's time for the harvest
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum it up, after Xfce was installed it was ready to run remotely, but not locally. The box that runs it, either locally or remotely, must have X installed (xorg-server).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: