What is eix-diff's output telling me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whissi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: What is eix-diff's output telling me? Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't understand the following eix-diff output:

[<] == app-misc/foo (0.9.1{tbz2}@10/10/2013; 99999 -> 0.9.1^m{tbz2}) [1]: Dummy description

I understand that app-misc/foo in version 0.9.1 is installed and also available as binpkg.

But,
  • what does "[<]" mean (and why is it red)?
  • what does "99999 -> 0.9.1^m" mean?
  • what does "^m" mean?

And BTW I am wondering at all why app-misc/foo is in the listing, because the overlay with app-misc/foo hasn't changed. I can only guess that it is in the listing, because yesterday (10/10/2013) I rebuild @world with "--buildpkg y" parameter.

Thanks.

PS: app-misc/foo-99999 has no keywords set (not in the ebuild, not in /etc/portage/*) and wasn't installed at any time . And again, the overlay with app-misc/foo hasn't changed since the last 3 diffs.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Current Version 0.9.1 is less than the live CVS Version 9999 ->(which will replace) Version 0.9.1 , but the live CVS Version 9999 is masked and in an overlay.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eix-diff is telling you that your previous eix cache contains a non-masked version 99999 of package foo while in your current eix cache the version 99999 is not available or masked.

It might be that eix-diff's assumption about the previous mask is wrong: eix does not store all mask information in the database but partially reads it from your current profile(s) which is not available anymore when eix-diff is called, i.e. eix-diff reconstructs the previous state from incomplete (mixed old and new) information.
You can check with
Code:
eix app-misc/foo
and
Code:
EIX_CACHEFILE=/var/cache/eix/previous.eix app-misc/foo
whether the versions really have not changed: Usually you see something as the above if version 99999 together with the mask for version 99999 was removed: Since eix-diff then has no information about any mask for that version, it shows that 99999 is unmasked.
Whissi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thank you for your answers! I am still wondering why eix-diff is reporting app-misc/foo has changed:

# eix app-misc/foo
[I] app-misc/foo [1]
Available versions: 0.9.0^m 0.9.1^m{tbz2} **99999
Installed versions: 0.9.1^m{tbz2}(04:39:31 PM 10/10/2013)
Homepage: https://example.org/foo
Description: Dummy description

[1] "my-overlay" /usr/local/portage

vs.

# EIX_CACHEFILE=/var/cache/eix/previous.eix eix app-misc/foo
[U] app-misc/foo [1]
Available versions: 0.9.0^m 0.9.1^m{tbz2} 99999
Installed versions: 0.9.1^m{tbz2}(04:39:31 PM 10/10/2013)
Homepage: https://example.org/foo
Description: Dummy description

[1] "my-overlay" /usr/local/portage

(The "[I]", "[U]" and "0.9.1" have a background color, but because I cannot show a background color in this forum, I am using font colors)

So I don't understand why **99999 became 99999. Now it is **99999 which seems to be correct. When this will change again (without an actual change), I'll report back.

But to get back to my origin question:
What's the meaning of ^m?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whissi wrote:
So I don't understand why **99999 became 99999.

So it is not about masking but about keywords. Then it is another story, indicating that the metadata was not up-to-date (or not available) when the previous eix cachefile was created. I suggest that you change your setup correspondingly so that this will not happen again:

More verbose explanation: Probably the foo-99999.ebuild sets KEYWORDS depending on some conditions. The "parse" cache method of eix is too heuristic to understand these conditions and thus will probably provide wrong (stable) keyword information if this cache method is used. On the other hand, if you have correct metadata, eix will not use the "parse" cache method but instead get the correct (not-keyworded) information from the metadata.

You should regularly call e.g. egencache, see the section "SPEEDUP" on the eix manpage.
Whissi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
Probably the foo-99999.ebuild sets KEYWORDS depending on some conditions.

Good guess!
Both ebuilds (foo-0.9.1 and foo-99999) start with
Code:
EAPI="5"

inherit eutils

if [[ ${PV} == 9999* ]] ; then
        EGIT_REPO_URI="git://github.com/foo/${PN}.git
                https://github.com/foo/${PN}.git"
        inherit git-2
        SRC_URI=""
        KEYWORDS=""
else
        SRC_URI="https://github.com/foo/${PN}/archive/v${PV}.tar.gz -> ${P}.tar.gz"
        KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~mips ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc x86"
fi
and I am also not using a cache for the overlay, so eix uses "parse". BUT:

I run "eix-sync -0 -u" multiple times (>10). I expected to see at least one run, where eix-diff stated the package would have changed again due to wrong keyword information from parse. But I am unable to reproduce.

Anyway, I will set up a cache. But I am not sure if I should add the cache to the overlay (=call egencache before committing a change) or if this should be done by eix when updating... on client side.

Thanks.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whissi wrote:
But I am unable to reproduce.

If the filestamps and checksums of the ebuild and metadata files do not change, either the metadata is always considered up-to-date or not.
Quote:
But I am not sure if I should add the cache to the overlay (=call egencache before committing a change) or if this should be done by eix when updating... on client side.

I would not make it public: Whenever an eclass (even in the main tree!) changes, the metadata is already outdated, so if somebody downloads it before you commited after the change, he will get obsolete metadata.
Since the metadata changes so often (with every eclass change), I would not even keep it under versioncontrol.
Whissi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
I would not make it public: Whenever an eclass (even in the main tree!) changes, the metadata is already outdated, so if somebody downloads it before you commited after the change, he will get obsolete metadata.
That's a good point. I would call egencache before I commit, but yes, eclasses the ebuilds in the overlay are using from master may change..

What I have done now:
  • Added metadata/md5-cache to .gitignore in my overlay
  • Added an "@egencache --repo=my-overlay --update" hook to /etc/eix-sync.conf

Now I hope I'll not run into this "issue" again. Thanks for your help!
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whissi wrote:
But to get back to my origin question:
What's the meaning of ^m?

It's because you have RESTRICT="mirror" set in your ebuild
If you run
Code:
eix --xml app-misc/foo
you will get a slightly less cryptic output (--xml doesn't work with eix-diff, though).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: