Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unable to log into kde, "Call to lnusertemp failed".
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Unable to log into kde, "Call to lnusertemp failed" Reply with quote

Hello,

I am experiencing difficulties with my kde desktop environment. When I try to log in, my desktop environment says
Code:
Call to lnusertemp failed. Are your temporary directories full? Check your installation.
I unmerged and re-emerged kde and updated it which took about 16 hours. My kde environment still gives me the same error. It also tells me before that that it is unable to log into my home directory and uses /.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

donald3heckel
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take a look at /tmp, because that is what the message says. Is /tmp full? Inodes free? Permissions granted? Do you have /tmp on an extra partition but other permissions than 1777?
The last time I saw this error it was because I had /tmp as a zram-device, but forgot to call "chmod 1777 /tmp" before starting xdm/kdm.
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is working. I tried emptying my /var/tmp directory and other stuff. Also, I am not using my /tmp as a zram device on another partition. I don't seem to know what the problem is. I have the proper permissions and everything. Also, keep in mind also that it says:
Code:
Cannot access home. Using /.
before the lnusertemp error message. Just so you know. I have my gentoo installation all on one partition with the exception of the boot partition.

Sincerely,

donald3heckel
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

donald3.heckel wrote:
I am not sure if this is working. I tried emptying my /var/tmp directory and other stuff. Also, I am not using my /tmp as a zram device on another partition. I don't seem to know what the problem is. I have the proper permissions and everything. Also, keep in mind also that it says:
Code:
Cannot access home. Using /.
before the lnusertemp error message. Just so you know. I have my gentoo installation all on one partition with the exception of the boot partition.

Sincerely,

donald3heckel
Arey ou sure that you can reproduce this:
Code:
 ~ $ ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 22 root root 4096 10. Okt 16:52 /tmp
If the permissions look different, please do:
Code:
chmod 1777 /tmp
and you should be ok.

Another issue could be that the permissions on "~/.kde4" got corrupted. If it is owned not by you, change the owner back using "chown".

And if that still isn't doing any better, you could test what happens if you rename ~/.kde4 to something different. KDE then starts with a fresh profile. You'll loose your settings, but at least you can log back in.

Last edited by Yamakuzure on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Helmering
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

If your home directory is fine,
/tmp permissions OK

then try to delete all stuff in /tmp
and reboot

Cheers Ralf
ArneBab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to log into kde, "Call to lnusertemp failed& Reply with quote

---deleted because it was just the result of a horrible user-error: I had always tried to login with a username which only exists to make nfs happy but does not actually have a home… “check whether your user exists” ← add to this “and whether it actually is the user with which you want to log in to kde”---

pkgcore: So fast that it feels unreal - by doing only what is needed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: