phpBB Upgrade Time??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: phpBB Upgrade Time?? Reply with quote

Can one of the mods tell me why we don't have a checkbox for allow DST :?:

Timezone in Profile: GMT -6, Correct during Spring Forward, Incorrect at Fall Back, ie right now, I'm an hour off. Would upgrading phpBB solve the issue? Is an upgrade even possible?
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what version number are you trying to upgrade from? im pretty sure latest phpbb does time zone stuff.... what does the servers "date" command produce? ie is date off also?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking my own, I'm talking about the Gentoo Forums.

From Our own Footer:
Hosting by Gossamer Threads Inc. © | Powered by phpBB 2.0.23-gentoo-p11 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Gentoo Version: 2.0.23-gentoo-p11, in this case gentoo is the customer name(from Gossamer's POV), and p stands for Production as in Production Server.
Vanilla Version: 3.0.1.2

Look at your Forum Profile, and you'll see the issue. I'm kindly asking why no one has talked to Gossamer about an upgrade, as we've fallen a whole major version number behind. Is it too much of a hassle :?:
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100 wrote:
Is it too much of a hassle :?:

That depends. How much of this does phpBB 3 already have implemented?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100,

As Ant P. says, its migrating the Gentoo patch set thats the driver.

The code is all open source. If you have the time and skills, patches are welcome.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
eyoung100 wrote:

Can that not be migrated into a new install on a test server? Or would it be easier to add the DST checkbox and customize?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
eyoung100,

As Ant P. says, its migrating the Gentoo patch set thats the driver.

The code is all open source. If you have the time and skills, patches are welcome.

I'd like to give it a whirl, I can setup my Apache localhost, put in phpBB 3 and work from there.... Where can I find the patchset?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100,

Drop a line to forum-mods@g.o. I know some work has been done so there is no point in you repeating that.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
eyoung100,

Drop a line to forum-mods@g.o. I know some work has been done so there is no point in you repeating that.

Done :!:
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be a problem with time on the base server. but i see what your saying, says 2:30 on posts right now when its 3:30.

and yes, phpbb3 has a dst radio button, and processes dates and times correct. (so long as the base systems time setup is correct)

Postby root » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 pm
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoung100 wrote:
Can one of the mods tell me why we don't have a checkbox for allow DST :?:
Because DST is a bit of a mess and those maintaining the current code have never been sufficiently annoyed by DST to build, or find, a generally working DST implementation. Nor has anyone, to my knowledge, offered such patches and requested their review for inclusion. Installing one would appear to require additional modifications to the existing database layout, across all users due to how timezones are currently stored.
eyoung100 wrote:
Timezone in Profile: GMT -6, Correct during Spring Forward, Incorrect at Fall Back, ie right now, I'm an hour off.
That is because of how timezones are handled in phpBB 2. It is not deviating from the timezone as set, it is instead using a greatly simplified view of timezones in general. It currently ignores the various schedules for daylight savings time, or lack thereof, not just across hemispheres but between different longitudinally similar locations on the same side of the equator.
eyoung100 wrote:
Would upgrading phpBB solve the issue?
As of last I checked on that specifically, the general case was not properly supported. This may well have changed since then.
eyoung100 wrote:
Is an upgrade even possible?
It is possible, though it will not be happening in what would reasonably be considered the near term, short of a rather extreme change in circumstances.

eyoung100 wrote:
Look at your Forum Profile, and you'll see the issue. I'm kindly asking why no one has talked to Gossamer about an upgrade, as we've fallen a whole major version number behind.
We have not asked Gossamer Threads about it for the simple reason that they are donating hosting, the hardware and the bandwidth to make use of it; maintaining our code, our data, and such is our problem to deal with.
eyoung100 wrote:
That would be one way of summarizing the reasons fro not having transitioned to a different forum package, yes.

Ant P. wrote:
Part of the problem is that some of those features are implemented in phpBB 3, but the implementations are not compatible with one another so migration requires conversion as opposed to a direct upgrade. Some of that could be done manually, given the nature of migrating from one version to another.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Quite so. Our variant of Not Invented Here Syndrome is restricted to examining the "foreign" invention and determining if it can be made to suit our needs. Though, admittedly, we we have managed to miss a few opportunities there. Mostly due to miscommunication, or a simple lack of communication, between team members, which would make it at least as much my fault as that of anyone else.

eyoung100 wrote:
Can that not be migrated into a new install on a test server?
The divergence between our patchset and vanilla 2.x is sufficient that the default migration script does not work for our needs, which is to be expected considering that we have multiple features which do not exist in the vanilla version.
eyoung100 wrote:
Or would it be easier to add the DST checkbox and customize?
It would probably be easier, short term, to produce a general case DST patch for working with our current implementation, though long term that would be just another thing we would need to manually migrate unless it happened to essentially mirror what was used in the package being migrated to. In short: if you want it sooner rather than later, show us a patch that handles things like a working v3 implementation, vanilla or not.

eyoung100 wrote:
I'd like to give it a whirl, I can setup my Apache localhost, put in phpBB 3 and work from there.... Where can I find the patchset?
At the moment, there is nothing official published so far as migrating our patches to phpbb 3, just our existing code which is available via anonymous cvs and various patches that we have selected as candidates for use in our variant of phpBB 3. Not that attempting a blank slate migration of the patches is recommended.

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Forums Feedback.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: