Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'm replacing my HDDs and reinstalling; is this right?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoI3oy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: I'm replacing my HDDs and reinstalling; is this right? Reply with quote

Due to hardware issues I'm replacing the 3x1TB raid drives in my desktop with a shiny new SSD and 3x2TB drives. Based on the RAID/LVM install doc and a few other sources, I have come up with http://pastebin.com/VC38gnud as an install 'script'.

Am I missing anything?
Am I making any decisions I'll regret sooner or later?
Should I also have shelled out for a 4ghz octocore cpu since I have to recompile everything?
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rest of your hardware is staying the same just copy your install across?
PsychoI3oy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point copying the install was the planned method. Unfortunately my motherboard only has 6 SATA plugs, so there'd be some back and forth from one raid to another and then to the SSD.

But the reality is I have a lot of junk installed and half installed from the past 3 years. A mythtv installation I no longer use and the associated databases, half-compiled lirc svn branch, etc. I have 3 or 4 things that flash by on startup that aren't installed and a citrix client from a class 5 semesters ago with no obvious uninstaller.

I could get rid of it all by hand but starting over (and doing several things smarter this time) seems easier or at least less frustrating.

Plus the partition layout in the pastebin above is significantly different than my current md/lvm setup which more closely follows the lvm/raid install doc and I can never seem to copy bulk files the right way to preserve stuff right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: