View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seneca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no! I certainly didn't want to promote Ubuntu with that statement and their new business model, which involves selling the personal information of their users to the highest bidder and is NOT IMHO in the spirit of Linux.

I am staying with Debian, which forces a beginner like me to do some footwork and learn some basics, without being an IT graduate as a prerequisite, and as far as I understand them, uphold the spirit of Linux.

That be all

Best to all

Lucius Annaeus Seneca
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seneca wrote:
seeing what is considered a "normal user" in this community, I think the Arch linux statement applies to me

Fortunately, the Gentoo community is not the Arch community. The latter is known for being stuck-up.
seneca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mv

You are probably right on that, although the person making that statement on their forum was not rude and went on to help the user with the question. In his/her defense, they are right. People like me, new to Linux, are really dead weight in places like these. We should leave you guys alone to do your work until we learn enough to pull our own weight. Debian seems like a good place to start. Of course, this is my humble opinion and I would encourage any person in my position to try Gentoo, as they will learn a great deal, but they should keep questions on the forum to a minimum.

Best

Lucius Annaeus Seneca
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seneca wrote:
but they should keep questions on the forum to a minimum.

I don't think so. There is a saying that there are no stupid questions but only stupid answers. (This saying did not know about trolls, but this is a different story.)
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference to Archlinux as I know of my two years old own investigation:
Arch preferes to keep their simple mechanisms at the cost of incompleteness! (Chakra came in there about this)

If an all stable Gentoo setup is more complicated to maintain than Arch this truly is a bug! Just yesterday someone mentioned in this forum: "portage became slowly, why?" The cost of such features as "emerge @preserved-rebuild", my guess.
seneca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv, I wish I could clone you. Not everyone is as understanding and patient as you. You have been here for some time so if you feel people like me are not a complete nuisance, then I will keep on. These months with Gentoo have been very enlightening. I've learned to manage all the emerge conflicts, from circular dependencies to conflicting USE Flags to you name it; I have learned about shell commands, environment variables, processes, IPtables/security, and along etc. With each new "problem" you end up learning a great deal and that makes it all worthwhile. To say I love Gentoo would be an understatement.

ulenrich, I agree with you 100%. Gentoo does have a fairly steep learning curve if you know little about information technology, as most windows users who wish to make the transition. However, in very little time you can learn to manage a basic Gentoo desktop environment quite easily with a little help from the forum posts, the available documentation and when all else fails, help from people like you. Then you have time to slowly learn to really maintain a system like the "big boys" e.g. understanding Bash enough to write your own scripts, modify ebuilds to suit oneś environment and a long etc. If something is not challenging, then it is probably not worth it... I don know much about Arch linux to make the comparison, but I am glad I came across Gentoo when I decided to leave Windows.

Thank you, mv, for the words of encouragement

Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: