[SOLVED] Simple Bash Script Needed for VDR and Konsole
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roytheman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Simple Bash Script Needed for VDR and Konsole Reply with quote

Hello Gentoo forum,

Would somebody be so kind to submit for me a bash script to add to the script I already have pasted below? The script below works fine but the terminal window (konsole) remains open when I close the main program (VDR) and I would love for the script to automatically close the terminal window when I close VDR.

The purpose of this script is to enable me to view the log messages on the fly via a terminal window when VDR is opened but the terminal window remains open after I shut down VDR and I would like VDR to close the terminal when VDR shuts down.

I keep the script on my desktop (non-root) for a quick and convenient way to start VDR.

I know very little about how to write bash scripts but find them very interesting.

Sincerely,
Roy

Code:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/vdr -l 3  --lirc  -P "*"  &
/usr/bin/konsole -e tail -f /var/log/syslog

Last edited by roytheman on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Bash Script Needed for VDR and Konsole Reply with quote

Untested, but if it does not work, it should give you the idea how to fix it.
BTW, since your script doesn't use bashisms, you can make it "#!/bin/sh" or - even more compatible - #!/usr/bin/env sh. Also, there is no need for your commands to specify the path.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

vdr -l 3  --lirc  -P "*"  &
vdr_id=${!}
konsole -e tail -f /var/log/syslog &
konsole_id=${!}
wait "${vdr_id}"
kill -TERM "${konsole_id}"

Perhaps instead of TERM another signal is needed (like QUIT, INT, or HUP. KILL certainly works, but you should use this only as the last resort). Perhaps you also have to make the konsole subprocess aware of the signal and die when you receive the signal.

BTW, are you sure that /var/log/syslog is world-readable? I am not sure whether this is a good idea concerning security.
roytheman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mv,

I got the script to working by using the "--nofork" option, to make the terminal run in the foreground instead of the backgound, as shown below:

Code:

/usr/bin/vdr -l 3  --lirc  -P "*"  &
vdr_id=${!}
/usr/bin/konsole --nofork -e tail -f /var/log/syslog &
konsole_id=${!}
wait "${vdr_id}"
kill -TERM "${konsole_id}"

Now the terminal closes after I close VDR.

I could not have done it without your help, so thank you very much.

Roy
roytheman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

BTW, are you sure that /var/log/syslog is world-readable? I am not sure whether this is a good idea concerning security.

The syslog file is owned by root. Perhaps the reason it can be accessed as non-root when using VDR is because VDR owns several directories since VDR has been added as a user. Other than that, I don't know why.

Roy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: