Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 3.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 71, 72, 73  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some problem with the new snapshot. Apparantly changing from 3.4 -> 3.4.0 let surface some deeper problem with my ebuilds. I'm trying to figure out what's going on right now.

This patch which fixes problems I think are related to this (read GCC bug #12179 for more information) should help, but qt build dies with a strange error message with it. Well, what better time to fix an ebuild than the Christmas holiday?
biehl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fca

now "gcj -v" works
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fca. I've been wanting to experiment with the gcc development and I probably wouldn't have bothered with it without your ebuild....

however so far I've had two problems. I can't build qt with it (which was exactly the first thing I tried. lol. Before you just posted that it doesn't work). I don't recall the error but it was probably what you saw.

Also, and maybe related(?), I can't build anything that wants to link with X11, like Fluxbox. It can't find the appropriate functions during configuring. I noticed in your gcc ebuild you commented out the X-related stuff so I un-commented them and rebuilt gcc and tried Fluxbox again but I got the same error. Something about XOpenDisplay not being found. And just to make sure it was gcc 3.4, I tried building Fluxbox again with my old gcc 3.3.2 and it still worked as normal.
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I recall someone asked earlier in this thread, about how to build your kernel with gcc 3.4...

Edit your kernel's Makefile and look for the line that sets CFLAGS. On mine, vanilla-prepatch 2.4.24-pre2, it starts on line 94. Simply add -fno-unit-at-a-time to it.
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally managed to get Qt to compile, but the solution is dirty...

Download the latest ebuild from my site, and after building, make a symlink (ln -s) from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.0/libstdc++.so to /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.0/libstdc++.so

Why?
I don't really know, but it works. I'm trying to find a cleaner solution, but for now, that's what works for me.
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a cleaner working version now.
Get the new ebuild from (again :roll: )
and put the following patch (also mentioned a few posts above) in the files/3.4 directory in the gcc overlay directory.
patch
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again fca. I will try it again with your patch and let you know how it goes.
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I recompiled gcc with your ebuild and patch, and that broke gcc-config. It would error saying "Profile does not exist!" Then I looked at the gcc-config script and saw it was expecting to find gcc stuff in /usr/lib/gcc-lib and the patch had moved it to /usr/lib/gcc. So I made a symlink:

Code:
cd /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu
ln -s /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.0 3.4

And gcc-config works

I tried again building fluxbox 0.9.6 and this time it found the libraries it needed, but after compiling a bunch of stuff it failed with this error:
Code:
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..  -Wall  -IFbTk   -Os -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fmove-all-movables  -I/usr/X11R6/include -DSHAPE  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2    -c -o main.o `test -f 'main.cc' || echo './'`main.cc
In file included from fluxbox.hh:31,
                 from main.cc:25:
FbTk/Resource.hh: In member function `void FbTk::ResourceManager::addResource(FbTk::Resource<T>&)':
FbTk/Resource.hh:186: error: no match for 'operator*' in '**((FbTk::ResourceManager*)this)->FbTk::ResourceManager::m_database'
It might be a problem with fluxbox though.
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like having to make the symlink to make gcc-config work, so this diff is to fix gcc-config so that it doesn't check for the existence of the currently selected profile (gcc-config was looking in the wrong place).

Code:
--- gcc-config.old      2003-11-24 14:11:25.000000000 -0600
+++ gcc-config  2003-12-28 22:54:31.000000000 -0600
@@ -426,13 +426,6 @@
        fi
 fi

-if [ ! -d "/usr/lib/gcc-lib/${CC_COMP%-*}/${CC_COMP##*-}" -o \
-     ! -f "/etc/env.d/gcc/${CC_COMP}" ]
-then
-       eerror "$0: Profile does not exist!"
-       exit 1
-fi
-
 if [ "${CHECK_CHOST}" = "yes" ]
 then
        # Chosen CHOST are not the same as the real CHOST according to
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca, what version of qt did you compile? I can't get qt 3.2.3 to compile, I get this:

Code:
g++ -fno-exceptions -o ../../bin/moc ./qbuffer.o ./qptrcollection.o ./qcstring.o ./qdatastream.o ./qdatetime.o ./qfile.o ./qdir.o ./qfileinfo.o ./qgarray.o ./qgdict.o ./qglist.o ./qglobal.o ./qgvector.o ./qiodevice.o ./qregexp.o ./qstring.o ./qunicodetables.o ./qstringlist.o ./qtextstream.o ./qbitarray.o ./qmap.o ./qgcache.o ./qtextcodec.o ./qutfcodec.o ./moc_yacc.o ./qfile_unix.o ./qdir_unix.o ./qfileinfo_unix.o
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV15QDragEnterEvent+0x10): undefined reference to `QDropEvent::format(int) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV15QDragEnterEvent+0x14): undefined reference to `QDropEvent::encodedData(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV15QDragEnterEvent+0x18): undefined reference to `QDropEvent::provides(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV15QDragEnterEvent+0x2c): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QDropEvent::format(int) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV15QDragEnterEvent+0x30): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QDropEvent::provides(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV15QDragEnterEvent+0x34): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QDropEvent::encodedData(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTI14QDragMoveEvent+0x8): undefined reference to `typeinfo for QDropEvent'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV14QDragMoveEvent+0x10): undefined reference to `QDropEvent::format(int) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV14QDragMoveEvent+0x14): undefined reference to `QDropEvent::encodedData(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV14QDragMoveEvent+0x18): undefined reference to `QDropEvent::provides(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV14QDragMoveEvent+0x2c): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QDropEvent::format(int) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV14QDragMoveEvent+0x30): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QDropEvent::provides(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTV14QDragMoveEvent+0x34): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to QDropEvent::encodedData(char const*) const'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD1Ev+0xc): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
: undefined reference to `vtable for QDropEvent'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD1Ev+0x16): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD1Ev+0x1e): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
: undefined reference to `QMimeSource::~QMimeSource()'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD1Ev+0x26): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
: undefined reference to `QEvent::~QEvent()'
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD0Ev+0xc): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD0Ev+0x16): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD0Ev+0x1e): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN14QDragMoveEventD0Ev+0x26): In function `QDragMoveEvent::~QDragMoveEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD1Ev+0xc): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD1Ev+0x16): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD1Ev+0x1e): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD1Ev+0x26): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD0Ev+0xc): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD0Ev+0x16): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD0Ev+0x1e): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
./qstring.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN15QDragEnterEventD0Ev+0x26): In function `QDragEnterEvent::~QDragEnterEvent()':
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [../../bin/moc] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.3/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.3/src/moc'
make: *** [src-moc] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.2.3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 115, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...
I got to compile: 3.2.3, and qt-copy (from KDE, roughly equivalent to qt 3.3.0 beta2). Maybe you've got another combination of use flags?
Arts is also working now. Cdrdao not though, which makes K3b fail :(
I don't know enough C++ to fix it the fault...
Karaca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't missunderstand me. Just curious:

"If you want 3-5% more speed AND fun over Chrismas why don't you try it with the new Intel Compiler instead of buggy-alpha gcc3.4?"

Is there a logical reason?
As i said: just curious :P
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try out ICC. Does it offer any advantages for AMD systems? Since I don't own any Intel procs.

And the logical reason to try gcc 3.4 is so that it can start getting some more exposure :) And some of us just like to be dangerous :twisted: Its supposed to be quite a bit more aggressive with optimizations but I haven't really had the chance to try that out yet.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karaca wrote:
Please don't missunderstand me. Just curious:

"If you want 3-5% more speed AND fun over Chrismas why don't you try it with the new Intel Compiler instead of buggy-alpha gcc3.4?"

Is there a logical reason?
As i said: just curious :P

Yes. The logical reason is: ICC is crap. :D

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are new 3.4 and tree-ssa snapshots for 2003-12-31
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed tree-ssa just to see what's up, and I started running into the same problems I initially had with 3.4 with the library paths being incorrect. I found library files in 4 different directories. I edited the ebuild to use the same patch we were using with 3.4 and I'll see if that helps.
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca, the lib path patch you posted for 3.4 works with tree-ssa, but it still wants to put some files in /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.5-tree-ssa, rather than /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.5, most importantly libstdc++. I'm not sure how to make a patch to fix this but just letting someone know in case they wanted to work on it. Manually moving the files worked.
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's probably a because of my hacky renaming the tree-ssa ebuild to 3.5-tree-ssa, in combination with some gentoo lib related patches. Renaming gcc-3.5-tree-ssa.ebuild to gcc-3.5 will probably fix it. I also saw some mentions to gcc-lib still in the uncompressed source after the patch, I will try to patch them tomorrow.

Also, there is talk of a loop-vectorizer in tree-ssa, which will soon be added (I hope). Then even the lowly gcc users can see the : vectorizing loops message, which was the coolest feature in icc IMO :D
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I named the ebuild as gcc-ssa-3.5.ebuild, not 3.5-tree-ssa, so that's probably not the cause. loop vectorizer would be nice. For now I think I will stick to testing 3.4 until someone more intelligent than me makes a patch for 3.5 to put all its files in the correct places.

Also I tried building the new 3.4 snapshot I mentioned and it failed during building java.
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

openssl (0.9.6l) compiles with gcc 3.4
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apache 2.0.48 compiles with gcc 3.4 but does not run. It segfaults.
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeighborhoodGullwings wrote:
apache 2.0.48 compiles with gcc 3.4 but does not run. It segfaults.

Indeed. No useful debug information either...
Openssl 0.9.7c-r1 compiles just fine also.
I think that almost I can get a complete emerge system work.
Most of it is C though, for which not really much has changed.

I'm giving up on the ssa tree for now. Too much is going on there, and I'm not enough C/C++ expert to understand much of it.
bhundven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: GCC 3.4 Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
There doesn't appear to be a GCC 3.4 thread, so I thought it was probably time to start one.

So I tried to merge gcc-3.4 and got:

!!! Couldn't download gcc-3.4-branch-update-20030625-1.patch.bz2. Aborting.
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhundven wrote:
robmoss2k wrote:
There doesn't appear to be a GCC 3.4 thread, so I thought it was probably time to start one.

So I tried to merge gcc-3.4 and got:

!!! Couldn't download gcc-3.4-branch-update-20030625-1.patch.bz2. Aborting.
Have you downloaded fca's ebuild and patch? That is what I have been using. I'll post them here if fca doesn't mind me reposting it.

gcc-3.4.ebuild (put in sys-devel/gcc in your portage overlay)

gcc-lib-location.patch (put in sys-devel/gcc/files/3.4)

Last edited by NeighborhoodGullwings on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
NeighborhoodGullwings
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier that the latest gcc 3.4 snapshot fails on java, but this only seems to be the case if you're building it from your old 3.4. I tried it again starting with my 3.3.2 and it worked.

I know gcc is built in a 3-stage process so it ends up building itself from the newer version anyway, but is this the case with java?

So gcc-config 1 (if you still have your old gcc) before upgrading your 3.4 snapshot if you're building java. At least that worked for me.

By the way, where can I see what changes in each snapshot?

Also a tip, for anyone else on a dialup connection like me, in the snapshots directory in the repository, there's a diffs directory that updates the source from the last snapshot (and its only a few hundred K's). So you can build your own tarballs and save yourself an hour or two of downloading.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 3 of 73

Jump to: