Help needed using GNUTLS for PKCS12 client certificates
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Help needed using GNUTLS for PKCS12 client certificates Reply with quote

Hi again.

I'm struggling with GNUTLS certtool to export a PK#CS12 client certificate for use in Firefox. _ALL_ my attempts yielded an infamous «The PK#CS12 operation failed for unknown reasons»... :evil:

So far I
  1. generated a CA certificate authority key and certificate: it works
  2. imported my self-signed CA certificate into Firefox: it works
  3. generated a server certificate/key pair for my local web server, based on that CA: it works.
  4. browsed my local web server with the new server certificate: it works (i.e. I get no SSL warning, as expected).
I then generated a client certificate/key pair (using the above the CA) for authenticating myself against my local web server. I could verify the certificate with and without the chain, all are valid.
cat clients/x509-myself.crt x509-ca.crt | certtool -e:

Certificate[0]: C=BE,O=...,CN=myself,UID=...
   Issued by: C=BE,... (Root CA)
   Verifying against certificate[1].
   Verification output: Verified.

Certificate[1]: C=BE,O=...
   Issued by: C=BE,O=...
   Verification output: Verified.

Chain verification output: Verified.

Then I tried to [guess how to] generate a PKCS12 file from the above client certificate that I would import in Firefox; that fails with the above error right after I typed the password.

Code:
certtool --load-ca-certificate x509-ca.crt --load-certificate clients/x509-myself.crt --load-privkey clients/x509-myself.key --to-p12 --outder --outfile clients/x509-myself.p12
fails to be imported in Firefox.
Code:
certtool --load-certificate clients/x509-myself.crt --load-privkey clients/x509-myself.key --to-p12 --outder --outfile clients/x509-myself.p12
Code:
certtool --load-ca-certificate x509-ca.crt --load-certificate clients/x509-myself.crt --load-privkey clients/x509-myself.key --to-p12 --outraw --outfile clients/x509-myself.p12
Code:
certtool --load-certificate clients/x509-myself.crt --load-privkey clients/x509-myself.key --to-p12 --outraw --outfile clients/x509-myself.p12

I'd be grateful for any hint or suggestion for I'm definitely stuck :( .

UPDATE 2013-08-29: I actually could go further... with OpenSSL!
Code:
openssl pkcs12 -export -out clients/x509-myself.p12 -inkey clients/x509-myself.key -in clients/x509-myself.crt -name MySelf
for a client certificate alone or
Code:
openssl pkcs12 -export -out clients/x509-myself.p12 -inkey clients/x509-myself.key -in clients/x509-myself.crt -certfile x509-ca.crt -name MySelf
for a client certificate that also embeds the CA certificate (not sure this is the right way to go though, just a guess from what I read about client certificates and web browsers).

So it finally looks like certtool (2.12.23-r1) is inappropriate (with my current knowledge of it) for creating well-formed PKCS12 certificates for Firefox (22)...

Also note that in both cases, the PKCS12 certificate exported by OpenSSL «cannot be verified for unknown reasons», too as per Firefox... :roll:

UPDATE 2013-08-30: I've found why verifying my client certificates failed. The following keywords must be present in the template given to certtool:
client.conf:
signing_key
encryption_key

Re-created my certificate and exported it again with openssl and now client identification is working with my web server.
scriptkitty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found part of the problem. If you do

Code:
 certtool --infile client-cert.pem -i

you see the lines named "Public Key Id" and "SHA-1 fingerprint".

If you extract the pkcs information from both the openssl and certtool-generated pkcs12 files with:

Code:
certtool --p12-info --inraw --infile=openssl-generated-client.p12

Code:
certtool --p12-info --inraw --infile=certtool-generated-client.p12

You will see that the openssl p12 file has the "SHA-1 fingerprint" as the Key Id, whereas the certtool p12 file has as Key ID the "Public Key Id". I do not know how to fix this or if this is even a problem.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your lights, scriptkitty. Sounds interesting. Don't know if I can figure out what to do but thanks for the explanation and taking the time to investigate.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: