Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
USB suspend and kernel 3.10.7 (disable autosuspend?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silmano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: USB suspend and kernel 3.10.7 (disable autosuspend?) Reply with quote

I've updated my HTPC from kernel 3.7.10 to 3.10.7 and it seems CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is now gone from the kernel options and included in PM.

The main problem I'm facing is that I have an external HDD and when suspending and waking up the HTPC, it isn't available to the system. The HDD wakes up (you can hear it spin up again), but when you try to access the mount point you get the following error:
Code:
ls: reading directory /media: Input/output error

And on dmesg:
Code:
[  253.278260] EXT4-fs warning (device sdb1): __ext4_read_dirblock:908: error reading directory block (ino 2, block 0)

In previous kernels, setting CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=N would solve the problem, as the HDD would handle its hibernation by itself and the mount point was always accesible. When the HDD was on sleep and the HTPC needed something from the HDD's mount point, the HDD itself would wake up and operate without issues.

Right now I've tried the following without success:
1) Manually change /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*/power/control to "on" instead of "auto".
2) Manually change /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*/power/autosuspend to "-1" instead of "0".
But when waking up again the HTPC, the mount point is again inaccesible. As workarround I can unmount and remount the mount point and it works again without problems, but I'm sure there should be a way to avoid having the OS handle the usb autosuspend.

Any idea how to disable usb autosuspend on this kernel?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: