Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What is this ABI_X86 thing I keep hearing about?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NTICompass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: What is this ABI_X86 thing I keep hearing about? Reply with quote

For one reason or another (I've been busy, I guess), it's been months since I've updated my Gentoo system. And, as you can imagine, this means there's a lot of packages (and USE changes) I need to go over. My system is "amd64" (multilib), but I have a lot of (manually keyworded) packages from "~amd64".

Anyway, in this update, I keep seeing "ABI_X86" USE flags. What is this? This is new. There's nothing in "eselect news list" about it.

Being the Gentooer I am, I did my research, and found this topic: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-953900-start-0.html. That seemed to show how to use it, but, are there any "real" docs for this? What does it do? What am I supposed to set "ABI_X86" to? I have a multilib system. I assume I want "64", but then what are "32" and "x32"? I'm confused at what I need to do here.

Emerge is yelling a lot about slot conflicts, and they seem to be related to "ABI_X86" (I forget the errors exactly, but I remember one was zlib).

So, is there any "official" docs about what "ABI_X86" is and how to use it? I'm surprised there isn't a sticky for this!

From the thread I linked, I found this page: http://kicherer.org/joomla/index.php/en/blog/liste/29-transition-of-emul-packages-to-true-multilib, but I want to know what I'm doing before I go keyword a bunch of stuff and edit my make.conf.

P.S. I have most of the "app-emulation/emul-linux-x86" packages (the ones I seemed to need at the time) in my "package.keywords" file.
ascendant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't pretend to be an expert on this, but I can share my similar experience.

As you've noticed, the multilib migration is in a sorry state of affairs where it comes to documentation.

The most obvious reason why there's no announcement or sticky is because all of the multilib stuff is ~. If you pull in some ~ packages because you decided to, I don't think the portage devs can or even should try to account for your specific combination of ~ and non-~ packages. The problem here is that one or more of your ~ packages now depend on a multilib package which means you have to migrate to multilib or un-~ that package. To complete the migration, you're probably going to have to keep adding ~ packages to your keywords file and probably some packages to package.mask to help portage resolve the slot conflicts.

As far as syntax for ABI_X86, x32 is 32-bit architecture, 64 is 64-bit and 32 is 32-bit-on-64-bit. I have ABI_X86=32 however since I'm on amd64, ABI_X86=64 is selected as well automatically, I can't turn it off. You can verify this with emerge --info. Which ones are selected in ABI_X86 makes portage decide whether or not to compile libraries for that ABI and install them. For clarity, those libraries were previously supplied by emul-linux-x86-* ebuilds as precompiled binaries. That would be why everything is blocking everything else.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
x32 is 32-bit architecture
No it's not. I'm not pretending I could write a short but comprehensive post on it ... google ...
ascendant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI

Yeah, it's something else. This is might be incompatible with ABI=32 and I haven't seen any ebuilds using it. Probably still safe to ignore though, at least for now.
NTICompass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascendant, I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think certain packages (including emul-linux-x86-*) are trying to install newer versions that contain the ABI_X86 USE flags. Guess I gotta edit those package.* files to stop them from being updated or update the right ones.

P.S. Is there a quick way to see which packages have the ABI_X86 USE flag?
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTICompass wrote:

`quse` or `equery hasuse` should do it -- check their manpages for more detail. The USE flags to look for are abi_x86_32, abi_x86_64, and abi_x86_x32.

As far as what to do with ABI_X86 in general (more once it's in arch, or if you're using ~arch, as mixing arch/~arch gets messy with transitions like this), it should be safe to ignore it and let your profile and package dependencies handle it (changing USE-flags as portage asks, at most). Everything should work properly, and any packages that explicitly require 32/64/x32 libraries will be depending on the correct USE flag on those packages. The only system-wide defaults you can change are on multilib (enable/disable 32-bit libraries by default) or on x32 (enable/disable 32-bit or 64-bit libraries by default) by setting ABI_X86 (to some appropriate combination of 64 or 32) in make.conf.

To comment on x32, if you're happily using multilib or no-multilib, don't worry about x32 at all. It's a completely separate profile, ABI_X86=x32 only works on that profile, and I believe the profile may still be considered experimental (or at least unstable).
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTICompass wrote:
ascendant, I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think certain packages (including emul-linux-x86-*) are trying to install newer versions that contain the ABI_X86 USE flags. Guess I gotta edit those package.* files to stop them from being updated or update the right ones.

P.S. Is there a quick way..?

You can use '--autounmask-write y' for the specific emerge run.

I use update to handle it; there's output of an example unmasking texlive-2011 here (scroll past the portage output to see where hitting P unmasks everything needed. The display in the next post is very old: it uses --jobs now.) It means I can choose which packages to unmask (and it does the dependencies automatically), and i don't need to run dispatch-conf.

You can also use --recover if, for instance, you have lost your keywords file: that skips downgrades, and unmasks installed packages without asking. It was written for a friend who'd messed up his system: istr he'd lost his world file as well. In his honour, it's marked 'rehab' in the code. ;)

Disclaimer: I maintain it, for my sins.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broken_chaos wrote:
NTICompass wrote:

`quse` or `equery hasuse` should do it -- check their manpages for more detail. The USE flags to look for are abi_x86_32, abi_x86_64, and abi_x86_x32.

Quicker:
Code:
eix -cU "abi_x86_*"
To find out for a particular package which versions do have it, look at the output of
Code:
eix -vle clang
and look for ABI_X86=. Or a one-liner which gives you all versions:
Code:
DEFAULT_FORMAT=normal FORMAT='<availableversions:A>' A='<category>/<name>-<version>#<use*>\n' eix | sed -ne 's/#.*ABI_X86=.*//p'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: