How can I know next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: How can I know next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hey guys, this page http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources shows 3.8.13 and 3.7.10 kernels as stable. I suppose it's the LTS kernels, is this correct? Is somewhere a document or page I can always visit to see the next LTS kernel? And, in the link I passed you, what's the mean of the blank boxes in the table? Another strange thing is that kernels are unstable for some architetures and stable for anothers... is this related with testing the kernel and correcting bugs?

I hope next LTS kernel supports UVD for Radeon cards (I think kernel 3.10.xx supports it...) :roll:

Last edited by rudregues on Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 am; edited 3 times in total
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
I hope next LTS kernel supports UVD for Radeon cards (I think kernel 3.10.xx supports it...) :roll:

The 3.9 series supports it, if you use gentoo-sources. The necessary patches are part of the gentoo patch set. Works fine for me, quite happy with it.

Do not use 3.7.10; there is a security bug that will not be fixed.

Your current LTS choices are 3.0, 3.2, 3.4. The next LTS will not depend on what gentoo-sources decides, but on what the kernel.org guys want to do.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
Hey guys, this page http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources shows 3.8.13 and 3.7.10 kernels as stable. I suppose it's the LTS kernels, is this correct?

No! As far as the gentoo-sources are concerned LTS versions are on the 3.0 / 3.2 and 3.4 branches.
3.7 and 3.8 will never be.

You won't find anywere any official document telling you which branch will be the future gentoo-sources LTS.
Because... there is no such thing as a gentoo-sources LTS.
There are kernel branches that the gentoo-sources package maintainers decide to follow or not.
Their decision can change depending on the workforce available.

You won't find either any official page telling you which branch will be the next LTS kernel.
You just need to listen to well known kernel maintainers (there are not many) Greg Kroah-Hartman is probably the most active but you can also get Ben Hutchings (He is AFAIK the one following the 3.2). They might sometimes tell their intentions.
This recently apparently led to some confusions as you can read in a Greg K-H post on LKML related to the last revision on the 3.8

EDIT : Sorry kurly for this double post!
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.8 will be maintained by the Ubuntu folks so that sort of also will be a (semi-)LTS kernel

still waiting for a new update though

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
rudregues wrote:

The 3.9 series supports it, if you use gentoo-sources. The necessary patches are part of the gentoo patch set. Works fine for me, quite happy with it.

Your current LTS choices are 3.0, 3.2, 3.4. The next LTS will not depend on what gentoo-sources decides, but on what the kernel.org guys want to do.
All 3.9.xx kernels are marked as unstable in packages.gentoo, is really safe to use them? Since I'm a begginer I don't want to be at any risk.

kernelOfTruth,
generally I hear so bad about Ubuntu, people saying Ubuntu does't nothing or near zero for Linux in general and uses the results from hard work of another, like Red Hat etc. It is good to hear that, and very good to know this kernel will be "semi" LTS.

aCOSwt,
thanks for clarifying this for me
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
All 3.9.xx kernels are marked as unstable in packages.gentoo, is really safe to use them? Since I'm a begginer I don't want to be at any risk.

The 3.9.xx kernels work well for me. Using UVD does require the use of an alpha version of Mesa. If you are not comfortable doing that, then it might be better to wait for 3.10.xx. But it does work just fine for me. You just need to make sure you have the appropriate firmware in place: you may need to use "unstable" linux-firmware package for that.

If it helps, I use media-libs/mesa-9.2_pre20130515 with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.9.4 and sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20130421.
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

kurly wrote:

The 3.9.xx kernels work well for me. Using UVD does require the use of an alpha version of Mesa. If you are not comfortable doing that, then it might be better to wait for 3.10.xx. But it does work just fine for me. You just need to make sure you have the appropriate firmware in place: you may need to use "unstable" linux-firmware package for that.

If it helps, I use media-libs/mesa-9.2_pre20130515 with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.9.4 and sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20130421.

Well, so I think it's better to me stay with current kernel and wait until UVD turns default with 3.10.xx
Thanks again.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

rudregues wrote:
kurly wrote:
rudregues wrote:

kernelOfTruth,
generally I hear so bad about Ubuntu, people saying Ubuntu does't nothing or near zero for Linux in general and uses the results from hard work of another, like Red Hat etc. It is good to hear that, and very good to know this kernel will be "semi" LTS.

aCOSwt,
thanks for clarifying this for me

yeah, that's a welcome change :)

I called it "semi" because I read that there were some changes that LTS releases are to be supported less long than before (I could be wrong though - will read about that later,
the only box which I maintain and uses Ubuntu right now is my dad's computer ^^)

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/28/502

so the first release of the 3.8.x.y LTS kernel is in review state - nice 8)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: How can I know the next LTS kernel in gentoo-sources? Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
I called it "semi" because I read that there were some changes that LTS releases are to be supported less long than before

I would agree with the "semi" qualifier but mainly because the canonical LTSes are, formally speaking, a fork of the linux kernel.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to use an LTS kernel (and stick with it long term), is the only way to do that to mask more recent kernels?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigggl wrote:
So, to use an LTS kernel (and stick with it long term), is the only way to do that to mask more recent kernels?

There is no need to mask, just do something like `emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.4.60`.
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
trigggl wrote:

There is no need to mask, just do something like `emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.4.60`.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I have seen a few articles that state that 3.10 is the latest LTS. I'll go with that one.
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Not a Gentoo decision Reply with quote

Funny...I did a google search to find out what the "official" LTS kernels are. Started reading this thread and then saw my own posts. :lol:

I guess I'll scan the web for the feeling from the GNU community at large.

EDIT: Found this page.
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when the gentoo-sources are slotted, Portage will not update to the next Gentoo stable Version what might be released (without Lts)?

But it updates to a new subversion of the Lts Kernel? I never understood fully why upgrading within Lts shall be easier, I still have todo make olddefconf, and compile the new kernel. Is compilation simply quicker and/or the olddefconf can't break options?

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who prefer sticking with an LTS series usually do so because they expect that going from 4.x.y to 4.x.y+1 is less likely to break things than going from 4.x to 4.x+1, since far fewer commits are added. Whether this expectation holds in practice varies. When it works, it means that you can skip heavy testing except for those times when an LTS kernel is declared end-of-life, at which point you jump from 4.x.y to 4.x+8 (or so). The larger jump may make it harder to track down where a regression appeared, but it spares you performing extensive regression testing with every major kernel release.
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until a week ago, I was running 4.1. I decided it might be a good idea to get more current. There was the annoyance of having to skip from LTS to LTS on my way up with the exception of 4.12. I went all the way up to 4.14, but there are still some issues with 4.14 including stable VirtualBox not being supported completely. I should probably stick with 4.9 or 4.12 until 4.14 gets a little more polished out or stable catches up to it.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my system wants to downgrade gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1 to 4.9.72 (I don't know why), how can I install the kernel in a way to stick on the 4.14 LTS branch - emerge -av gentoo-sources:4.14.8-r1? It want's unmask it for ~amd64, can it be Gentoo downgraded the kernel again? and when I install with slot :4.14.8-r1, I will get updates in the 4.14 branch?

Spargeltarzan

Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i know, but I also don't want the upgrade to 4.15, 4.16, 4.17... I want to stay on 4.14. (also not when 4.15 would be marked as stable!) one user wrote it is not necessary to mask > 4.14 to stay on the current LTS release. So how should I install it, I guess the user meant slotting?

Spargeltarzan

Last edited by Spargeltarzan on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# echo "=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.14*" > /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/my-favorite-kernel-series

It does not matter which kernels are going to be installed via portage. All the kernel handling is under your responsibility, so even if there are 4.15, 4.16 around, if you never update your existing kernel image you stay with that kernel image... Updates *will* come unless you mask future versions. Pinning down your gentoo-sources world entry to a certain slot does not change the fact that portage will provide upgrades of a newer slot.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice, now I have the right config :)

Spargeltarzan

figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this is an old thread, it perks up from time-to-time, and I also want to stick to 4.4 kernel on my main PC/server since that is supported out to February 2022 according to kernel.org and it's working well and supports all my hardware. Is the following in my /etc/portage/package.mask a reasonable way to do that?

Code:
>sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.4.999

My objective is to keep my 4.4 kernel up-to-date.
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I'd prefer using >= with the first unacceptable version, rather than > with a version that is hopefully greater than all acceptable versions.
/etc/portage/package.mask:
>=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.5
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Hu. That makes good sense. I changed my package.mask and confirm it's working.
amd64/17.1/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: