Squirrel!!

Congress dodge ? Nice move
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Naib wrote:
I disagree. If it is shown then their capability to launch chrm attack needs to be stopped.

We should stay completely and utterly out at all costs. This is an internal matter and needs to be resolved by the Syrian people.

YES and NO
A pure civil war, yes we have no right to go in UNTIL the humanitarian complications become too dire. Libya was too soon and was purely for a regime change and the entire situation was fiddled by the west for that... loose enough mandate etc..

I am referring to the UN security council doing what it is contractually/bound by treaty to uphold. People are suffering at the hands of some very nasty weapons.
*IF* it is proven that such weapons were used (and confirmed by the non external aggressors [referring to the US's so called "proof"]) ASSUMING it is proven it was from Assad's regime ASSUMING it is taking to the UN security council and is voted upon, then we are founding members, permanent members of the security council have an obligation to act with VERY specific strike onto chem stores - ie cruise missiles, earthquake bombs NOT foot on the ground stuff, its their war. This is about leveling the playing field.
If China/Russia veto but everyone else votes yes (or abstains) then there is enough wiggle room to go in *IF* the evidence is there. After which Russia needs a talking to

I do like having the Economist in my google+ feed for KAL's sketches :)
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
the humanitarian complications become too dire.

You get the government that you deserve.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
the problem needs to be solved at its root! Bomb Saudi Arabia!

Yep.

Those fuckers are evil.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It emanates from the Black Borg Box thing they've got down in Mecca.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French are pushing for military action. I say we let them do it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23928871
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
They have a pretty good military so I agree. It's about time they did something

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Note that the Arab League are making similar overtures, the dichotomy between that statement and the line issued in mosques across the region will be ... interesting ...
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it up to the Arab League.

Is that anything like the English Premiere League?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

:lol:

No, more like the WNBA

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Old School wrote:

No, more like the WNBA

Nappy-headed? That's racist.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Old School wrote:

No, more like the WNBA

Nappy-headed? That's racist.
Shite

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmF8iIeOVEo
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this a bit more, the "demand" from the US for a quick commons vote was a stupid demand from the US and even stupider by the PM to act on it especially in light of Iraq and the perpetual spun misdirection with regards to the justification...
BUT while it looks like an egg on the face for the gov'n with regards to this at the time of the vote, it seems there was some underlining domestic political ammunition involved. If it passed then sure go in, as it got turned down Labour now are having to plead to vote again making their original push to cause the vote to fail akin to schoolboy politics.

Its actually causing some uproar within the Labour party because they did not expect a "fine the commons say no so no"
I suspect ONCE a firm result from the UN is received Britain will be involved in some military capacity - maybe just air defence.
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some serious revisionist history, John Kerry calls the French "our oldest allies". Well, I *guess* there is some truth to that in that during the revolutions there was a lot of cross pollination of ideas. But freedom fries only went on sale about 8 years ago. The brits and the canadians feel a little wam-bam-thank-you-maam about now. *sniff*. i am doubly affected.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
In some serious revisionist history, John Kerry calls the French "our oldest allies". Well, I *guess* there is some truth to that in that during the revolutions there was a lot of cross pollination of ideas. But freedom fries only went on sale about 8 years ago. The brits and the canadians feel a little wam-bam-thank-you-maam about now. *sniff*. i am doubly affected.

I am getting a big kick out of watching John Kerry, who was so vitriolic and asinine in his opposition to the Iraq war (once it became unpopular) and then especially the surge, be the one to now so vehemently make these bullshit arguments. I take it as proof that the man, in fact, has absolutely no ethical backbone and will say absolutely anything.

The kinds of arguments he is making, such as repeatedly insisting that these chemical attacks were not "contrived" (which nobody is claiming; the question is WHO did it), show disdain for the American and European public by assuming we are, on average, so pathetically stupid that this kind of crap would have a net effect of convincing people to support intervention.

Just for once I'd like to see us give our real reasons for wanting to use force, so people aren't left assuming, in the face of obvious lies, that it's to "steal oil" or "kill brown people" or the like. Also, I wish Obama would stop this stupidity of constantly telling everybody, enemy included, details of our military plans.

He did this in Iraq with respect to our withdrawal. He did it in Afghanistan with respect to our surge and our withdrawal timeline. And now he's doing it in Syria with respect to the decision drivers for involvement (which amounts to letting somebody else force our hand by using Chem), with respect to the nature and duration of our intervention, and with respect to our level of resolve. While he may feel that's politically beneficial, that shit gets people killed unnecessarily. In this case, it's probably why the chemical attacks happened, and why those 1,500 people died their horrible deaths. The attacks probably happened because he all but said, "Hey, you frame the Syrians for dropping chemical weapons, and we'll come help you."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
You're upset about something Kerry said regarding diplomacy? :lol:

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I am getting a big kick out of watching John Kerry

++
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I am getting a big kick out of watching John Kerry

++

++ Looking forward to his Jane Fonda moment.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama reveals true scope of planned Syria operations. He's slipping it in an inch at a time. Look at the word play here: "we're putting more emphasis on the 'degrade' portion now, of the 'deter and degrade' that I have consistently said very clearly is what we are doing blah blah blah..." He claims the Syrians are maneuvering chemical weapons for a massive chemical weapons attack, and we have to bomb the crap out of them to stop it.

Keep in mind this is a day or two after he said "this is not time sensitive" and went off to shoot a round of golf with Biden, and a day after Kerry told the Senate "we will not be sending one American serviceman to war" (in other words, 'let me be perfectly clear... as I have consistently said, this isn't war per se -- it's an overseas contingency operation'). He also denied Al Qaeda is operating in Syria.

What a steaming pile of rancid bullshit. It's like they're not even trying to lie convincingly, and don't give a rat's ass if people think they don't have any freaking idea what they are doing. What a clusterfuck.
Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Obama has directed the Pentagon to develop an expanded list of potential targets in Syria in response to intelligence suggesting that the government of President Bashar al-Assad has been moving troops and equipment used to employ chemical weapons while Congress debates whether to authorize military action.

Mr. Obama, officials said, is now determined to put more emphasis on the “degrade” part of what the administration has said is the goal of a military strike against Syria — to “deter and degrade” Mr. Assad’s ability to use chemical weapons. That means expanding beyond the 50 or so major sites that were part of the original target list developed with French forces before Mr. Obama delayed action on Saturday to seek Congressional approval of his plan.

For the first time, the administration is talking about using American and French aircraft to conduct strikes on specific targets, in addition to ship-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles. There is a renewed push to get other NATO forces involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/world/middleeast/pentagon-is-ordered-to-expand-potential-targets-in-syria-with-a-focus-on-forces.html
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delicious.

Your anger so delicious.

Compared to your reaction about the blatant lies Bush told everybody just to start a war in Iraq.

so, so delicious.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
delicious.

Your anger so delicious.

Compared to your reaction about the blatant lies Bush told everybody just to start a war in Iraq.

so, so delicious.
What is most delicious are the Bush haters ignoring what Obama is doing, with LESS justification than Bush had.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
delicious.

Your anger so delicious.

so, so delicious.

Don't be a fool. The real "delicious" irony is that it is now being done AGAIN by the very people who complained about it the first time.

Also, you have no idea what my reaction was to the lies Bush told; that happened five years before I ever participated in this forum. All I have ever said since is that there were real reasons beneath those lies why we did invade, and that they should have explained what those were.

Now, I'm saying the same thing about Obama and his even more obviously false claims. I'm saying I don't object to intervention, but why can't we be honest about our reasons for it. I'm saying that lying like this leaves people to assume the real reasons are malicious (and that morons like you will claim it is to "steal oil" or "kill brown people" or the like, rather than understanding that it's to undo the damage done by European colonialism and imperialism and give a people their right to self-determination, to prevent the development of a powerful Middle Eastern military alliance opposed to the West (for example, one with Iran and Syria at its core), and to use every opportunity to strike Islamist forces when they do us the favor of massing for actual operations.

Also, the public are very much opposed to this, because they learned from the Bush lie and from Obama's recent lies. They are being told by our Government that we have incontrovertible evidence that Assad is the one who used these chemical weapons, and they don't believe it.

The question is whether our legislators, when presented with the classified details, will believe it or not, or whether they will say, "yeah, he's lying, but the real reasons for doing this are important enough".
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
delicious.

Your anger so delicious.

so, so delicious.

Don't be a fool. The real "delicious" irony is that it is now being done AGAIN by the very people who complained about it the first time.

I disagree. the iraq war was entirely manufactured, and that was clear from day one. this one is clearly not. obama didn't start the rebellion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: