Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mount.cifs error(2) on gentoo (no error on debian)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qeef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: mount.cifs error(2) on gentoo (no error on debian) Reply with quote

Dear Gentooists,

I would like to ask you for help. My mount command does not work for me on my gentoo, but works on my debian pc.

Code:
mount.cifs -o user=myusername,domain=MYDOMAIN //function/path/to/source/ /my/mountpoint/

mount error:
Code:
mount error(2): No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I know that you will need some additional information from me to help, just say what, because in fact, I don't know..

Thanks for help,
qeef
qeef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, there is no problem such as kernel without cifs support or not installed cifs-utils. I would like to debug my system, but I don't exactly know how to do it.
diablo465
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on this issue? I am having EXACTLY the same problem (the command also works in my UBUNTU).
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: not enough info Reply with quote

You will need to post your samba versions (gentoo and debian) and specify where the share is that you are trying to mount. If it's a Windows server, there are many many issues that can prevent this from working on one system versus another. Also specify which Windows version you are trying to work with.
diablo465
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: not enough info Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
You will need to post your samba versions (gentoo and debian) and specify where the share is that you are trying to mount. If it's a Windows server, there are many many issues that can prevent this from working on one system versus another. Also specify which Windows version you are trying to work with.

I don't think this is related to samba as the working ubuntu/debian hasn't got samba installed.

mount.cifs version in gentoo is 6.1 while in debian/ubuntu it is 6.0.

The share I am trying to connect is a windows server in the Uni. please indicate how to check its type/properties (e.g., what command should be used).

other info of my gentoo system:

Code:
ae429-1105 etc # lsmod |egrep 'fuse|cifs'
 fuse                   72589  5
 cifs                  312131  0

Code:
ae429-1105 etc # systemctl -t service -a |grep Samba
nmbd.service                         loaded active   running Samba NetBIOS                     name server
smbd.service                         loaded active   running Samba SMB/CIFS     server
winbindd.service                     loaded inactive dead    Samba Winbind daemon
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: cifs uses kerberos and underlying samba mechanisms Reply with quote

It is very much related to samba since the underlying authentication mechanisms (kerberos, ntlanman and/or ntlmv2) used to talk to the domain are tied to samba. At one point mount.cifs was actually part of the samba packaging. Your working debian/ubuntu versions will have these dependencies installed in spite of not having samba proper.

The way mount.cifs negotiates credentials with the windows server will vary depending on the amount of security that has been piled onto the Windows side and the type of domain being run. The version of Windows being run matters because there have been jumps in the various protocols and encryption mechanisms involved going from the old windows 95 and NT days to XP and Server 2003 and now Win 7 and Server 2008 or later.

If you can get onto the windows server doing the share, go into the control panel and choose the system icon. That will tell you right off which version of windows and service pack is being run. That's a start, but you will probably have to get someone who does domain admin for the Uni to go over the specifics of the domain and whatever group security policy has been set up and pushed out.

This matter may be as simple as the fact that your ubuntu and debian systems have been "joined" to the active directory while your gentoo box has not. There are books written on the subject (O'Reilly's Samba book and one from Bruce Perens are two good ones) if you find yourself getting into a quagmire.

The bad news is that this stuff can be a huge pile of failure and frustration. Politics often get involved when you have an environment where the Windows guys go off and do crap without telling the Linux and Unix folks and vice versa. The good news is that it will make you a very marketable sysadmin if you can get good at it.
diablo465
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solution to work around this problem.

first mount the smb network using file manager (e.g., nautilus)

Then access the mount at:

Code:
/run/user/{UID}/gvfs/

Problem solved
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: