Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Galileo reminds us our scientific heroes can be wrong
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Galileo reminds us our scientific heroes can be wrong Reply with quote

Galileo: Right On the Solar System, Wrong On Ice
Quote:
engaged in a debate with a philosopher about why ice floats on water. While his primary arguments were correct, he went too far, belittling legitimate, contradictory evidence given by his opponent, Ludovico delle Colombe.

_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1101
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't completely right about celestial matters either, he didn't believe in Kepler's parabolic (elliptical) orbits, or Kepler's tidal theory of the moon being responsible for creating tidal bulges in the sea, to name two.. He mainly just took a hard stand against the Church on heliocentrism, and this at a time when the Church was still conducting inquisitions and burning people for witchcraft and heresy. Pretty ballsy. Without his strong family name and political clout (the pope was a friend), he surely would have been burnt.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4078
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither was Einstein or bruno (who the church executed), but both of them were 100% more right than the church
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another dumb-ass, anti-science post (which nevertheless supports science despite the intent).

It's important to remember that Gallileo wasn't wrong because some narcissistic, lying mofo got paid to write a blog on the internet. He was wrong for scientific reasons. The process of science puts evidence and rational argument above individuals no matter who they are.

Trying to argue that because someone was wrong about something once hundreds of years ago we can therefore reject any modern science which we don't like is f*ng retarded. You still have to make a valid scientific argument to support whatever bullshit you want to believe in. Let's hear it. Put up or shut up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA and natural sciences... :roll: Makes me feel really sorry for those poor People.

LOL USA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
Yet another dumb-ass, anti-science post (which nevertheless supports science despite the intent).

It's important to remember that Gallileo wasn't wrong because some narcissistic, lying mofo got paid to write a blog on the internet. He was wrong for scientific reasons. The process of science puts evidence and rational argument above individuals no matter who they are.

Trying to argue that because someone was wrong about something once hundreds of years ago we can therefore reject any modern science which we don't like is f*ng retarded. You still have to make a valid scientific argument to support whatever bullshit you want to believe in. Let's hear it. Put up or shut up.

There's nothing anti-science or at all misleading about the thread, the OP, the linked article, or the original article. Your post is a strawman, attacking what genuinely appears to be a paranoid delusion. 8O
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's entirely anti-science and absolutely dumb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article from the American Chemical Society commemorating a historical debate in which both parties were wrong is anti-science?

You people are anti-history!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that US American Chemical Society. That explains it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a hidden agenda: some celebrity science guy was wrong about something hundreds of years ago therefore we can't trust anything climate scientists say now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
There's a hidden agenda: some celebrity science guy was wrong about something hundreds of years ago therefore we can't trust anything climate scientists say now.


Paranoid much?

Newton was wrong about gravity, but not so wrong that we couldn't use his calculations to (fake) landing on the moon.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
There's a hidden agenda: some celebrity science guy was wrong about something hundreds of years ago therefore we can't trust anything climate scientists say now.

Point out the part of the article, the Slashdot commentary, or pjp's post that led you to include the text in red as part of your one-line summary.

That's right; it's not there. You are pulling an Al Gore, and blurting out hyperbole and exaggerations so far afield from the reality of the situation that they are essentially the opposite of the truth.

This article was a celebration of the scientific process -- a historical vignette regarding scientific debate among humans. pjp pointing out in his thread title that even scientific heroes can be wrong in no way suggests that they always or generally are, and nobody even mentioned climate science. That paranoid delusion you conjured up on your own. You should seek counseling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
There's a hidden agenda: some celebrity science guy was wrong about something hundreds of years ago therefore we can't trust anything climate scientists say now.


Let me get this straight.
Because someone might use a factual account of history to suggest we not accept a certain conclusion, we must reject factual history?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must not make bad arguments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
We must not make bad arguments.


I agree that you should not make bad arguments.

Yet, here we are, with you apparently saying facts must be dismissed if the argument is "bad" in the manner of not supporting your foregone conclusions.

Please stop making bad arguments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not dismissing facts. The problem is what conclusions one might try to draw from the facts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
I'm not dismissing facts. The problem is what conclusions one might try to draw from the facts.


You said it was a dumb-ass article.
So, are you willing to admit that the article is factual?

Who decides what conclusions are not problematic?
Don't you conclude what the facts lead you to conclude?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the OP who has a history of this sort of thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 234
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crime dog reminds me of Tom Cruise whenever Cruise's religion is criticized.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe an evolutionary scientist in Kansas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
I was referring to the OP who has a history of this sort of thing.


So maybe you should consider that he is right about something until now you found controversial.

That is what rational people do when faced with new information.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much critical thinking and objectivity required. Easier to just knee-jerk.

OCD's a Bitch.

"Teh Scyents!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pantsonfire wrote:
The problem is what conclusions one might try to draw from the facts.
Absolutely. That was the whole reason I posted the article in the first place. You look for conspiracies which do not exist.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I expect you will be happy to confirm that the Galileo story does not describe your views on climate science.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4078
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the earth going around the sun NOT the other way around OR at the centre of the universe
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum