Quick Search: in
modesetting i915, paradox[solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: modesetting i915, paradox[solved] Reply with quote

My new laptop has a most annoying problem I specifically got an intel card so it would be pain free. This isn't the case.

When booting, my screen goes black unless I add 'nomodeset' to the kernel command line. Naturally, this results in startx failing with the famous Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found(EE) since i915 requires modesetting to be enabled.

So I seem to have a chicken and the egg problem: I can't let modesetting be enabled for boot up and log in and I can't use X without it.

It seems like there should be some middle ground here where I stop my screen from going black without killing X. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Intel was turning the backlight off, so naturally the screen was going black. Added i915 invert_brightness=1 to the kernel parameters, and now it works http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Fixing_the_Linux_black_screen_of_death_on_machines_with_Intel_HD_video.html

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, what hardware is this?

I see a lot of people with recent HP laptops do this. The laptop that I have that has this issue is an HP Envy4. I ended up using this in my kernel boot command line:

Code:
video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0

I don't know if it was the exact same problem but the key indication I had was that it was I could brighten the display when it was dark to turn on the backlight.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Lenovo G780 with an Intel video card.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
windz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: modesetting i915, paradox[solved] Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Intel was turning the backlight off, so naturally the screen was going black. Added i915 invert_brightness=1 to the kernel parameters, and now it works http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Fixing_the_Linux_black_screen_of_death_on_machines_with_Intel_HD_video.html

Do you have any problems adjusting the screen brightness after booting up with i915 invert_brightness=1? For my case, after using this parameter, the display brightens when I dim it and vice versa. I can adjust brightness on my laptop (Lenovo G400s) using three methods: The brightness keys on the keyboard, adjusting the values in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 or /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight and using xbacklight. But all three present with the same result: Screen brightens when you dim it and dims when you brighten it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some machines have it reversed, perhaps the Lenovo it was reversed. On my HP, somehow it said the brightness was 0 and the driver obliged to keep it that way, making the screen black out...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: