Hardware info before installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wantoast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Hardware info before installation Reply with quote

Hi!

I've tried to install Gentoo already twice, but I had to stop for lack of time. Anyway I'll try again soon and, since during the other installations I had some hardware questions, I'd like to understand just these three small things :

(also my English isn't so good, there will probably be some mistakes, sorry for this!)

1. My pc has an Intel i5-2410M which I guessed being a quad-core. Than I did a quick research and found that it's a dual-core with multithreading (so that each core has two "logical cores"). My question is: should I use it as a dual or a quad-core? For example, what about that "MAKEOPTS" variable? And what should I choose in the kernel configuration ("Processor family")?

2. Then: my wireless card (Qualcomm Atheros AR5B97) isn't recognized from the live CD. I know that I should load a specific kernel module, but which one?

3. I have two video card. An Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and a NVDIA GeForce GT520M. How can I'll manage them? I mean, how can I tell the system to use one instead of another for a specific program? Which is used by default?

Thanks in advance!
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardware info before installation Reply with quote

Quote:
1. My pc has an Intel i5-2410M which I guessed being a quad-core. Than I did a quick research and found that it's a dual-core with multithreading (so that each core has two "logical cores"). My question is: should I use it as a dual or a quad-core? For example, what about that "MAKEOPTS" variable? And what should I choose in the kernel configuration ("Processor family")?

-j5
( ) Core 2/newer Xeon
Quote:
2. Then: my wireless card (Qualcomm Atheros AR5B97) isn't recognized from the live CD. I know that I should load a specific kernel module, but which one?

If you need wireless during the install use some other livecd, minimal install cd is less than minimal for wireless support. Gentoo based http://www.sysresccd.org/Download suggested.
Quote:
3. I have two video card. An Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and a NVDIA GeForce GT520M. How can I'll manage them? I mean, how can I tell the system to use one instead of another for a specific program? Which is used by default?

Good luck! https://www.google.com/search?q=gentoo+bumblebee&oq=gentoo+bumblebee&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.11283j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 http://docs.huihoo.com/gentoo/resources/document-listing/xorg-config.html

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I have gentoo installed on a couple of laptops, one has an atom n270 which is single core with hyperthreading, I tried switching out -j2 and -j3 respectively, with -j2 it was a lot slower to compile, I updated firefox and it took well over 24 hours. I suggest a similar test.

2.I think that module would be ath5k.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wantoast,

Welcome to Gentoo.

To expand a little on what DONAHUE said, you actually have 1 1/2 graphics systems, not two.
The intel one is the whole one. It can both draw in the pixel buffer and refresh the screen from the pixel buffer. Make it work first.
The nVidia graphics chip is the 1/2/ because it can only draw in the pixel buffer - it cannot reach the display to refresh the image. This makes life somewhat complex.

You must always use the Intel graphics to refresh the screen. You can switch between Intel and nVidia for doing the drawing in the pixel buffer.
If you try to use the nVidia chip alone you get a blank screen.

Make the Intel work first - add Bumblebee support later.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Wantoast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks all! I will ask for support if I'll have some problems (although I shouldn't).
Anyway, can I simply use the AMD64 version of the CD?

Because the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE key (on the Windows Registry) says AMD64.
PC Wizard marks my cpu's architecture as "Sandy Bridge" which it seems to be x86, though.
I'm a bit confused about it!
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo based http://www.sysresccd.org/Download suggested for wireless support during the install. amd64 is what you want. amd64 and x86_64 names are used interchangeably for the architecture.
Wantoast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can I write here instead of opening another thread?
As suggested, I decided to use another LiveCD in order to install Gentoo (in this case I'm using PartedMagic, because with SystemRescue I would have had to find what was wrong with the kernel and my pc).

Now I'm at the "chroot" part (I followed the handbook and used the particular commands described in the "Gentoo installation alternatives" guide).
But a problem comes up with the sync of portage:

Code:

(chroot) partedmagic / # emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org...

@ERROR: Unknown module 'metadata'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1516) [Receiver=3.0.9]
>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 1 of 5 with rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org

rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1516) [Receiver=3.0.9]
>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 2 of 5 with rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org

>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 3 of 5 with rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org

>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 4 of 5 with rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org

>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 5 of 5 with rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org

>>> Retrying...
!!! Exhausted addresses for rsync.ca.gentoo.org
(chroot) partedmagic / #

How can I solve?
Thanks in advice, again!

EDIT: I tried to use emerge-webrsync and it worked
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: