Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SOLVED: !!! The host is blocked by URL filter. !!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: SOLVED: !!! The host is blocked by URL filter. !!! Reply with quote

As far as I can see, I have nothing running that could do this -- it comes up for every site that I've tried in Firefox (23.0), SeaMonkey (2.20) and even Links.

The machine has a wireless connection to the router -- two other machines have wireless connections and are not affected.

Has anybody an idea where I can start looking?

Very grateful for any help, suggestions, handkerchiefs &c.

I hope this forum is the appropriate one for this question, I couldn't find one that seemed better suited...

Chris
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.

Last edited by wynn on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect to a wired router, does it work? Have you contacted the administrator of the wireless access point? Are you sure you are using the wireless access point that you intend to use, rather than some other nearby open AP?
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply.

The router is mine but I will check that I am not connecting to another access point and I will try a wired connection.

Hope! What a wonderful word!

I was fiddling around with access permissions to the router before this happened -- as far as I can see access is back to what it was before but, if your suggestions don't work, I will reset the router to the factory defaults and set it up again.

Chris
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things appear to be back to normal.

Wired access worked with wireless disabled in /etc/conf.d/net and removed from the runlevels.

Rebooting the router and the machine as well had no effect so the router was reset to the factory defaults ... and then I had to load the saved config as I couldn't find a way of entering the username and password for the DSL connection ... but it worked and it's working...

Thank you for your help, nudging me in the right direction,

Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: