Amazon autorip is crippled on Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Amazon autorip is crippled on Linux Reply with quote

Amazon has this great new feature called autorip. When you buy a physical cd, the mp3 version is instantly available to you for download or for streaming. The catch is that on Linux they only let you download one song at a time. You can't download the entire album (which used to work great with the clamz program). I was told by customer service that if you buy an mp3 album directly then you can still get a .amz file (which is what you need for clamz to work) but I have not verified this.

Downloading songs one at a time is such a PITA that it is easier to just wait and rip the cd once it arrives.
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At [1] they mention changing the user-agent will allow you you download the files in bulk.

[1] clamz
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link massimo. It looks like it is still an ongoing battle. I'll wait for the smoke to clear.

The whole thing is just so incredibly stupid. I was able to download all the songs from one album in about a minute but it involved a lot of clicking. Of course automating the clicking is a federal offense according to the Aaron Swartz prosecutors even if you are authorized to download by manual clicking.

If it really is an user-agent issue then Amazon customer service outright lied to me when they insisted they weren't crippling Linux downloads on purpose. They use our software on all their servers but they don't trust us to download all the songs from an album we just bought from them.
donmartio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same annoying problem.

Created a little patch from that post http://code.google.com/p/clamz/issues/detail?id=40 and the corresponding ebuild for clamav.

http://www.larkos.de/gentoo/clamz-0.5-r1.tar.gz

just copy the ebuild to your overlay
i.e.:
cp clamz-0.5-r1.ebuild /usr/local/portage/net-misc/clamz/clamz-0.5-r1.ebuild
cd /usr/local/portage/net-misc/clamz/
ebuild clamz-0.5-r1.ebuild manifest

and the patch
cp download.c.patch /etc/portage/patches/net-misc/clamz-0.5-r1/download.c.patch

now you can emerge clamz and everything fits together again.

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: