New to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: New to Gentoo Reply with quote

Hey guys so ive finally decided to take the plunge, and setup gentoo. Ive been using arch, and manjaro for about a year now, and ive really become fed up with poorly maintained aur packages. The install process was actually not nearly as bad as I thought, I used my manjaro live cd and just got the stage 3 tarball. So then all I had to do was just chroot into it and I was able to use my wifi. Right now im using awesome wm, but I do have xfce installed just incase I need a more traditional desktop.

Also I would like to give a quick shout out to Grknight, and Iamben in the irc there were special modules I had to load in genkernel and Grknight was nice enough to walk me through the setup process.

my channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRvXUkopQTy1QzIuoK0jbBw

Last edited by Riley88 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to gentoo :D i seen the power of the use flags and the maintainability of portage (compared to LFS & BLFS) and that's what sold me. then i found the unofficial wiki and was impressed by its brews, and started documenting everything i knew on the official wiki. the irc people are great. iamben's very helpful. There is a lot going on around here. i suggest you sign up for bugs.gentoo.org & wiki.gentoo.org. flag problems & document what you know.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to gentoo! I think you will find portage is far superior to pacman and the available packages are much more diverse and well maintained. The option to use overlay software (the equivalent of aur) can be a mixed bag, but it is seamlessly integrated into portage. Also, the config files are easer to manage due to dispatch-conf or etc-update (available in the aur).

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Riley88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ive found unmasking stuff like chrome was alot easier than I thought it would be

my channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRvXUkopQTy1QzIuoK0jbBw
hadrons123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was a recent convert from Arch linux. But what a lot of people don't realize is Gentoo is lot easier to install and maintain than Arch. I used a Debian liveCD.ISO with a GUI and chrooted through that for Gentoo Installation.

The only thing that was tough to me was the Kernel installation, which I learned later that genkernel was as easy as anything else.
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo! There is nothing quite like it.

I hope you will like it here. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: