Any reason to stay with legacy mailx?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCat8
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Any reason to stay with legacy mailx? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Been working through an issue trying to do the sending of an email from a script that will run on a cronjob.

Now, from what I've found, the latest mailx package in portage, as of the end of last week, is version 8.1.2.20050715-r6 and the homepage entry in portage for mailx points to http://www.debian.org/. However, when you search Debian's site for mailx, you get a bunch of security advisories, with nothing more recent than 2003 and a developer list with 2 *similar* entries (e.g. heirloom-mailx a.k.a. "nail", which apparently is hosted at sourceforge under the Heirloom Project and is at version 11.25 with the last release in July 2005, and bsd-mailx which seems to be Debian's own package, and it's current stable version is 8.1.2-0.20111106cvs-1).

My question is: Is there a reason we are staying with such a legacy version of mailx?

I wanted to ask here before I went to post a version-bump request at b.g.o.

TIA.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opensuse's mailx package looks like a good source for patches ;)
ShadowCat8
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I was more of the idea of getting ourselves right. ;) It seems to me to be a bit embarrassing when you are looking online for help with a utility and everyone is telling you to use a feature that your version doesn't have. (Namely, the "-A" argument to pull account information from the ~/.mailrc.)

And, along those lines, I did find the mail-client/nail package in the portage tree which lists it's homepage as http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/. But, that brings me back to the original question of why we are keeping that legacy version in the portage tree?

I spoke with one of the devs at #gentoo-netmail who said to go ahead and put a ticket in at b.g.o, so I will do that. (Thanks again, JM.)

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: