No sound after reinstall
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
temporary_user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: No sound after reinstall Reply with quote

Hello!

I've recently built my gentoo from scratch again, because I wanted to get it working on UEFI. Everything seems to work good so far, except for the sound. I'm using the same kernel as previously. My motherboard is ASRock Z68 Professional Gen3, which uses Realtek chipset for audio. lspci -k shows me, that snd_hda_intel is in use. What can I make to get it working again?

Another problem is that my motherborad keeps changing default boot device to windows manager. Even if I disable it in UEFI it's back again after a reboot. I'd like to use standard grub bootloader, but so far I have to manually select it while booting my pc each time.

Thank you in advance for any help,
temporary_user
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using exactly the same kernel as before and you've ruled out hardware issues (cables, hardware mixer levels, receiver channels, etc.), then it's most likely your alsa settings aren't right. work through the online stuff for troubleshooting alsa; not just the obvious thing of making sure everything's unmuted and turned up in alsamixer, but the settings in .asoundrc for example (starting with nothing/defaults). it might also be worth checking that you've correctly reproduced any module settings for snd_hda_intel that you had on the working system. if you backed up /etc from your working system (always a good idea prior to a reinstall from scratch!), have a look around in /etc/modprobe.d for lines you may have added to alsa.conf; otherwise online guides re setting up alsa for intel audio might be useful. i remember some years ago i was setting up a laptop with intel audio and it needed some obscure option like "options snd-hda-intel model=foo" to get it working.

good luck :)

[EDIT]: re the motherboard/boot issue, sorry, no idea
Drasica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you testing audio? Mplayer? A normal userland media player like VLC?

Like simon_irl said, check the alsamixer and make sure you're not muted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: