Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ steveL:

Yeah, kdepim nailed to semantic-desktop. It is not a problem for me, because I don't use any of these "helpers" (kmail, korganizer, kalarm and so on). I can manage my desktop and organize my life myself.

Without overlay it may be boring to do the things I did before on every update. But I think it worth to wait until 4.11 appears. Seems like a lot of changes will be included (regarding semantic).
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcasillo wrote:
Now with this semantic desktop decision, my entire desktop experience is compromised and effectively downgraded. I'm not okay with that.

FORK.

People who has a knowledge and experience should be downgraded (with the exception of elected). All of us should be rounded up into the "upstream" nerd. It is a main line. :D

Unfortunately KDE seems as more bloated, more huge and more obscure than X.Org, so I think it impossible to fork it.
Take a look at Trinity - he more dead than alive
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:

But I do not want to remove amarok or replace him with other player as it was suggested before. So I have no options except editing kdelibs ebuild. May be worthwhile to change the amarok ebuild instead of kdelibs, I do not know. Anyway I changed kdelibs ebuild and updated a system successfully. Without having to enable semantic-desktop.

Fair enough. Missed the bit about wanting amarok. Where as I consider losing amarok an acceptable loss for not having semantic desktop.

I am away from home at the moment. I think it was stevel above who wondered about package.provided. That is something I wanted to try as well when i get home. The other thought is just move to another de/wm. Lxde and razorqt are close enough to what I am used to. I could live with xfce if I had to. When building a new image the 1st wm I install is windowmaker because it is quick to install and fast.

Even disregarding semantic-desktop the difference in how fast the desktop feels compared to alternatives has been enough for me to trial other desktops.
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use kde but as the semantic desktop stuff nearly killed the performance and responsiness of the machine, i totally swithed to xfce. I made a stop ant cinnamon, but it depends on gnome and gdm. Leonard ware. After reconfiguring xfce, i feel "at home" :)

Bye
schorsch
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
Yeah, kdepim nailed to semantic-desktop. It is not a problem for me, because I don't use any of these "helpers" (kmail, korganizer, kalarm and so on). I can manage my desktop and organize my life myself.

Yup, so let's forget about trying to make it work.
Quote:
Without overlay it may be boring to do the things I did before on every update. But I think it worth to wait until 4.11 appears. Seems like a lot of changes will be included (regarding semantic).

Turns out Duncan is already ahead of us. Interesting ebuild-patch approach, which I like but not in the end-user overlay, just as a process to derive the overlay ebuilds.

I've posted via gmane, asking him to collaborate with us here.

Hmm wonder if that went thru..
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan at http://gentoo.2317880.n4.nabble.com/Interest-inquery-kde4-nosemantic-overlay-td264917.html wrote:
There's a number of reasons I'm a gentooer, and none of them
are because I want distro package maintainers making my choices for me
about optional deps. .

I'm totally agree.
I will not use the thing that someone decided I should use, even if it is a most useful thing.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
It really is a shame though, that both the gnome and KDE teams seem to be moving in a direction where you can't even use any of their apps without their bloated crap. Until this issue came up, I never even knew what all this crap even was...semantic-desktop, nepomuk, etc, etc. To me it was just stuff I knew I didn't need that I was constantly fighting off. When I read what it was all about, I was stunned at how much it all just sounded like a bunch of crap. I think the KDE team has a terminal case of buzzworditis (or more accurately, self-importance I think). They've totally lost site of the beauty of simplicity that's for sure. That's the main thing that attracted me to Linux, and especially Gentoo, in the first place...being able to have a system that does what I needed in a way where I actually have a good idea as to what's going on under the hood. Gnome and KDE seem to be hell bent on becoming the polar oposite...a Windows-like bloated black box. Amazing.

This.

I've had KMail 2 crash on me for the last time. KMail was my main reason for staying with KDE, but when it went the way of Amarok (from great to useless in the 1.x -> 2.x process), there really are no reasons to continue with this bloated crap that KDE has become. I think I'll go for LXDE; it looks like a desktop that I can use.

And, to answer the question in the title of this thread: it's probably the only way to opt out of the semantic desktop.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. For ripping CDs I can suggest rubyripper. It depends on ruby, but otherwise it is an excellent CD ripper.

2. For mounting stuff with no dependence on udisks, I can suggest udevil. It can depend on udisks if you have udisks installed. Otherwise, it falls back to kernel polling. I use the latter mode and have removed udisks from my system.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to change the situation actively, it is now the time to step up
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
If you want to change the situation actively, it is now the time to step up
This is where I am. I've got patches that remove the dependencies that udisks2 and upower have on polkit. The modified upower works fine with KDE, but because there is some secret handshake between KDE's notification system and polkit before KDE will even attempt to talk with udisks2, I still don't get drive-insertion notifications in KDE. I've started my foray into the kdelibs source to figure out how to break its thralldom on polkit.

I'm finding much more about KDE innards than I thought I would (and it's a slow slog). Because of this, I think that once I've figured out how to make udisks integration work in KDE without polkit that I will next look into how to stub out the Nepomuk functions so I can build KDE with a dummy Nepomuk.

A really nice thing that distinguishes KDE from Gnome is that KDE explicitly targets non-Linux systems. KDE components like Solid and Phonon exist to abstract out the DE's interactions with OS-level libraries. If they keep this up (and this sure looks like the trend), they will never have hard dependencies on systemd or the kits. The architecture is already there to allow for alternative interfaces--even in Linux, and even if you have to write your own.

BUT--the components that come standard as a part of KDE are harder to break out. The KDE maintainers tend not to consider these to be optional. They seem to have a heartfelt commitment to Nepomuk--even if tons of KDE users think that KDE would be just great if they left Nepomuk out. Since the trend is to expand the range of KDE components that overshare their application data with Nepomuk (which is the thing that makes it ever harder to implement a semantic-desktop USE flag), I think the best solution would be to patch Nepomuk so that it would act like /dev/null. And since /dev/null doesn't need a lot of dependencies (grin), things like the databases would just stay out of the build. KDE programs could still talk to Nepomuk, but it would be mighty forgetful.

No, I'm not ready to give up on KDE.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still waiting for Duncan atm. He said he'd have something a couple of weeks ago, then said he's busy. Now he's discussing it on the ML, in great detail, but still hasn't taken 5 minutes to post the patches to KDE ebuilds which he's several times said he's been running for a while now. So it's kind of hard to collaborate with him, though there's lots of cruft on the mailing-list discussing what he's done, just no actual patches nor scripts. Hopefully he'll reschedule his priorities soon, but if not I'm not going to hang around and wait for him to produce nothing.

I'll upgrade to 4.10.5 soon, then setup an ebuild-patching script (which is not hard) for the next set of changes. I've arranged an overlay and two trac + git repo combis for this, because there is simply no way I will be using semantic-craptop, and I'm not ready to give up KDE after it finally started working decently again in 4.9.

I'd encourage anyone else who wants to keep running 4.x the way they like it, not to lose hope. Clearly the patching mechanism is feasible, and is not very difficult. The hard part will be figuring out what patches we need, especially when that's to the underlying codebase. But again, KDE runs on BSD, so it's not like the core system cannot cope without it: Qt runs practically everywhere in device terms, and KDE is, and always has been, a showcase for Qt.

I have faith in the collective knowledge and experience of Gentoo users: for instance, all the Gentoo developers had given up on hardened a few years ago, until users got it into shape by doing all the work. In comparison, this is trivial.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I've arranged an overlay and two trac + git repo combis for this, because there is simply no way I will be using semantic-craptop, and I'm not ready to give up KDE after it finally started working decently again in 4.9.

According to the link which posted, the gentoo KDE-team might agree to put the patches in the main tree: I'd suggest to cooperate with them instead of putting up an overlay which regularly needs to be patched: It would be much better to have a masked.forced semantic-desktop flag (which the user can change on his own risk) in gentoo-maintained ebuilds with user contributions than a separate overlay with patches and hacks.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
According to the link which posted, the gentoo KDE-team might agree to put the patches in the main tree: I'd suggest to cooperate with them instead of putting up an overlay which regularly needs to be patched:

All that link says is that if someone is prepared to put in the work and maintain it, then they'll use it. You have to put in the work first, and prove that your work is sound. The only way to do that is via an overlay.
Quote:
It would be much better to have a masked.forced semantic-desktop flag (which the user can change on his own risk) in gentoo-maintained ebuilds with user contributions than a separate overlay with patches and hacks.

What "hacks"? You're suggesting we maintain patches; how can we do that, if we don't actually change anything?

Unqualified aspersions like that aren't very useful, even if they are popular.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
All that link says is that if someone is prepared to put in the work and maintain it, then they'll use it.

That is what I meant: If you are prepared to maintain it, it is time to step up and tell the developers.
Quote:
You have to put in the work first, and prove that your work is sound. The only way to do that is via an overlay.

Not necessarily. Of course, some patches must exist already, then it is mainly a topic of being convincing in discussion. Of course, it is clear that the developers would not be satisfied with a one-shot patch on the long run.
Quote:
What "hacks"? You're suggesting we maintain patches; how can we do that, if we don't actually change anything?

Better to maintain them in the main tree than in an overlay: As long as they are in an overlay, they remain hacks which will be ignored by most people, including the gentoo kde team.
Quote:
Unqualified aspersions like that aren't very useful, even if they are popular.

It is not an aspersion, it is how it is observed: Continuously patching upstream (here, upstream means: gentoo kde team's ebuilds) will hardly be a living project on itself. A "fork" of a part of a distribution remains a hack even if it should become popular.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:

Better to maintain them in the main tree than in an overlay: As long as they are in an overlay, they remain hacks which will be ignored by most people, including the gentoo kde team.

Yeah, it would be the best way to put them into main tree and maintain them here , but I think these patches will be ignored by devs, regardless where they located: at main tree or at overlay or somewhere else.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
but I think these patches will be ignored by devs

I did not have the impression that the devs are very uncooperative.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that kde 4.11 has made its way into portage. I will not run a semantic desktop crippled KDE, but I haven't had time yet to explore alternatives like xfce. So, I need to buy some time. What is the shortest and sweetest way to mask it and prevent any of this stuff from being installed on my systems?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcasillo wrote:
I see that kde 4.11 has made its way into portage. I will not run a semantic desktop crippled KDE, but I haven't had time yet to explore alternatives like xfce. So, I need to buy some time. What is the shortest and sweetest way to mask it and prevent any of this stuff from being installed on my systems?
Code:
echo ">=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask/kde-4.11.mask
should prevent any kde related package to get upgraded since it will prevent the kdelibs from getting upgraded.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Code:
echo ">=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask/kde-4.11.mask
should prevent any kde related package to get upgraded since it will prevent the kdelibs from getting upgraded.

Thanks for that. However, I have a file named package.mask under /etc/portage already, and when I put that kdelibs line in it, I get the following complaint from portage:
Code:
The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by kde-base/kwallet-4.11.0[handbook]
# required by kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.11.0
# required by kde-base/kdebase-startkde-4.11.0
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
# /etc/portage/package.mask:
#>=net-misc/openssh-6.2_p1
#>=sys-devel/icecream-1.0
=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.0

NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
      from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
CONFIG_PROTECT). Carefully examine the list of proposed changes,
paying special attention to mask or keyword changes that may expose
experimental or unstable packages.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

EDITED TO ADD: I see the same error when using /etc/portage/package.mask/kde-4.11.mask.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like kdebase-startkde is pulled in independently of kdelibs. Then you better mask that package too.
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcasillo,
you have set ~arch global?

You can use "kde-base/* -~arch" in package.accept_keywords
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
It looks like kdebase-startkde is pulled in independently of kdelibs. Then you better mask that package too.

I tried adding that and a few other kde-base packages, but portage still wants to emerge all of the kde-4.11 stuff.

Josef.95 wrote:
gcasillo,
you have set ~arch global?

You can use "kde-base/* -~arch" in package.accept_keywords

I am running ~amd64. For reference, here's the output of emerge --info:
Code:
pinarello ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.2.0 (default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde, gcc-4.7.3, glibc-2.17, 3.10.6-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.10.6-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Quad_CPU_Q6600_@_2.40GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     8185208 total,     68728 free
KiB Swap:    4200992 total,   4200992 free
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:15:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.2
ccache version 3.1.9 [enabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p45
dev-lang/python:          2.7.5-r1, 3.2.5-r1, 3.3.2-r1
dev-util/ccache:          3.1.9
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.11.1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6, 1.12.6, 1.14
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23.2
sys-devel/gcc:            4.6.4, 4.7.3
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.2
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.9 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.17
Repositories: gentoo x-portage
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/apache2-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.4/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs ccache config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://gentoo.netnitco.net http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j20"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_COMPRESS="gzip"
PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS="-9"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 apache2 audiofile bash-completion berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdio cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt ctype curl cxx dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr dvdread emboss encode exif faac ffmpeg filter firefox flac fontconfig g3dvl gd gdbm gif glibc-omitfp gtk hal iconv id3tag ieee1394 imagemagick imlib innodb ivtv joystick jpeg kde kde4 kipi lcms ldap libnotify libwww lirc live lm_sensors logrotate mad matroska mime mjpeg mmx mmxext mng modperl modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap multilib mysql mysqli na_dd na_icons ncurses nfs nls nptl nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf perl phonon php plasma png policykit python qt qt3support qt4 quicktime readline rtmp rtsp samba sasl sdl speex spell sqlite sse sse2 ssl ssse3 startup-notification subversion svg tcpd theora tiff transcode truetype udev udisks unicode unzip upower usb v4l v4l2 vdpau vim-syntax vlc vorbis webkit wxwidgets x264 xcb xcomposite xml xpm xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc zip zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic auth_digest authn_anon authn_dbd authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock dbd deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers ident imagemap include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation proxy proxy_ajp proxy_balancer proxy_connect proxy_http rewrite setenvif so speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LIRC_DEVICES="userspace" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-4" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON
js08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up in adding nearly all kde apps/libs (">=kde-base/xxxx-4.11.0") in /etc/portage/package.mask
MrFenix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out, you can drop the semantic-desktop nonsense from the kdelibs ebuild:

Code:

--- /usr/portage/kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-4.11.1.ebuild   2013-09-05 13:31:19.000000000 +0200
+++ kdelibs-4.11.1.ebuild   2013-09-18 15:28:01.000000000 +0200
@@ -37,8 +37,6 @@
    dev-libs/libpcre[unicode]
    dev-libs/libxml2
    dev-libs/libxslt
-   >=dev-libs/shared-desktop-ontologies-0.11.0
-   >=dev-libs/soprano-2.9.0[dbus,raptor,redland]
    media-libs/fontconfig
    media-libs/freetype:2
    media-libs/giflib
@@ -107,8 +105,6 @@
 "
 PDEPEND="
    $(add_kdebase_dep katepart)
-   $(add_kdebase_dep nepomuk-core)
-   $(add_kdebase_dep nepomuk-widgets)
    || (
       $(add_kdebase_dep kfmclient)
       x11-misc/xdg-utils

It builds and installs just fine.

I'm not using the complete KDE suite, but just some parts of it:
Code:

equery d kdelibs
 * These packages depend on kdelibs:
app-arch/p7zip-9.20.1-r4 (kde ? kde-base/kdelibs)
app-cdr/k3b-2.0.2-r4 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=])
                     (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=,udev,udisks(+)])
                     (handbook ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=,handbook])
dev-vcs/subversion-1.7.13 (kde ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4:4)
kde-base/ark-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
                    (handbook ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=,handbook])
kde-base/katepart-4.11.1 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.1:4[aqua=])
                         (handbook ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.1:4[aqua=,handbook])
kde-base/kcachegrind-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/kde-l10n-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/kdesu-4.11.1 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.1:4[aqua=])
                      (handbook ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.1:4[aqua=,handbook])
kde-base/khelpcenter-4.11.1 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.1:4[aqua=])
                            (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.11.1:4[aqua=,handbook])
kde-base/kstyles-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/kwrite-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/libkcddb-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/libkonq-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/liboxygenstyle-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
kde-base/okular-4.10.5 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.10.5:4[aqua=])
media-video/vlc-2.0.7 (kde ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4)
net-libs/libproxy-0.4.11-r1 (kde ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.5)
sci-electronics/cirkuit-0.4.3 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=])
sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent-0.99.0-r1 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=])

My usage scenario certainly does not rely on semantic-desktop and I don't even have any programs which can make use of it in a meaning full way. What is the best way to contact devs in order to re-enable the appropriate use-flag?
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to kdelibs you need to patch some other ebuild, like kdebase-runtime-meta, kde-base-startkde and some other.
Unfortunately patching ebuilds is not enough for new installation.
Successful kde installation depends on used stage3 rather than portage ebuilds patching.
Last time devs made some changes on stage3 that prevents applying patches to ebuilds. In fact you can apply patch, but you can't build packages because some additional RDEPEND checking was applied by them.
In particular, some of cmake macros was changes, and now we have additional RDEPENDS checking from cmake. It blocks installing patched ebuilds.
As I noticed, stage3 from August 01st allows to install semantic free kde, but stage3 from August 08th blocks installation with cmake error messages about unsuccessful RDEPENDS checking. cmake macros contains explicit nepomuk-core, nepomuk-widget, akonadi existance checking.
You will be successful with patches, if you updating existing kde installation.
If you installing new system right now, you need an old stage3 tarball, that not yet contains modified cmake macros.

Code:
What is the best way to contact devs in order to re-enable the appropriate use-flag?

I doubt that you will be able to convince them to enable semantic-desktop USE flag. They went too far, that it can be simply return (see about cmake)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: