View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exhausted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: I want fluxbox-1.1.1-r3! How can I get it? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

fluxbox-1.1.1-r3 is no longer in Portage. I tried rolling my own (I created an overlay, got the fluxbox-1.1.1-r3 ebuild, hunted down the patch files, and tried to make it work, but I couldn't get it to compile. Maybe I got the wrong versions of the patch files.)

Is there somewhere that I can get a proper ebuild and all the correct files?

Last edited by exhausted on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, when asking for help let us know why you need an outdated version. There may be other solutions. Keeping an old version will end in tears sooner or later.
exhausted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

Fluxbox used to handle moving maximized windows properly: When a user moved a maximized window, Fluxbox would automatically turn off the window's maximized state but leave the window the same size.

For a long time, this has been broken. Now when a user moves a maximized window, the window's maximized state stays turned on. As a result, you can move a maximized window, but the window will just snap back to its screen filling maximized state as soon as you release the mouse button. I find it incredibly annoying. I love Fluxbox and I've been using it happily for probably around a decade now, but I just can't deal with the newer behavior.

I remember seeing at least one bug report filed about this, but I have little expectation that the issue will actually get fixed. If I had the time and the pre-requisite programming skill, I wouldn't mind trying to fix it myself, but (sadly) I'm a bit challenged on both those points.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exhausted wrote:
Now when a user moves a maximized window, the window's maximized state stays turned on. As a result, you can move a maximized window, but the window will just snap back to its screen filling maximized state as soon as you release the mouse button. I find it incredibly annoying.

First time I notice this. I never try to move maximized windows apparently. :o

It still works if the Window wasn't maximized directly but put to maximum size by other means, e.g. :ArrangeWindowsVertical (which kind of tiles windows) "maximizes" if it was the only window. If your maximized windows are usually single windows on that workspace, it might be a viable workaround. Maybe another workaround could be found, not sure what else fluxbox offers in terms of window arrangements.

exhausted wrote:
I remember seeing at least one bug report filed about this, but I have little expectation that the issue will actually get fixed.

I reported a fluxbox bug myself recently and the author was very responsive and helpful.
exhausted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get the files I need to put fluxbox-1.1.1-r3 into a local overlay and compile it? Is there anywhere I can find the ebuild with the correct patch files?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, download the ebuild, then download the patches named in the ebuild, on lines of the form 'epatch "${FILESDIR}/name"', they will be under the files directory linked from that same page. Put all in a local overlay, generate a manifest for it, then mask newer versions unless manually downgrading is your preferred form of practice with your package manager.
exhausted
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is terribly late, but thank you, desultory! I now have a version of Fluxbox that predates the version that broke the window maximized state toggling.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: