RESOLVED: Strange issue with Win7 and GRUB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
z-lite
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: RESOLVED: Strange issue with Win7 and GRUB Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo AMD64 on my Toshiba R705-P35 laptop with a new Intel 520 180GB SSD. Install went smooth, XFCE works great, no problems at all. I can reboot every time to the GRUB menu to boot Gentoo. The previous drive (HDD) in the laptop had Windows 7 so I created a backup and restored it to a partition on the SSD. I am able to boot into Windows from GRUB, I installed the Intel SSD Toolbox, rebooted and right before the splash screen comes up to choose between Gentoo and Windows, the system reboots. It will continue this cycle until I boot from a LiveDVD, chroot into my environment, and reinstall GRUB into the MBR.

If I boot into Gentoo, I have no problems at all. I can reboot all day without issues. If I boot into Windows and reboot from the login screen, the MBR has already been tainted and the constant reboot cycle starts again. I had Gentoo x86 and the same Win7 install on the previous HDD, the only difference between the two drives is that I installed Win7 first and then Gentoo on the HDD, on the SSD I installed Gentoo AMD64 and then restored Win7 to a blank partition.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

Last edited by z-lite on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
z-lite
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RESOLVED!

I figured I would let Windows 7 clear the MBR and make the system "its own" and try GRUB again. So I followed the steps on this web page: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/62209-remove-grub-restore-windows-7-a.html

Boot to Win7 CD, go to command prompt and run these commands:
diskpart
select disk 0
list volume (make a note of the drive letter of the CD/DVD drive, for this example I'm going to use D:)
exit

D:
cd \boot
bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr
exit

Now reboot the PC, Windows 7 will boot like it runs the show. I rebooted twice without issues. Then I booted into the Gentoo LiveDVD, run through the GRUB installation into the MBR, rebooted into both OSs and it works like a dream.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: