Cant find name of hard drive when using fdisk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooliasto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Cant find name of hard drive when using fdisk Reply with quote

So i'm attempting to install minimum gentoo on an old machine after i was using Damn Small Linux, which is still installed on the hard drive, i'm assuming during the installation process i will be able to clear al lthe hard drive space and install gentoo like most other distros, the handbook said it should typically be called /dev/hda rather than /dev/sda/
instead i get /sr1/ thinking its a random name for the hdd instead i find out its the cd disk drive.

ghetto screenshot
http://imgur.com/5f4ww0f
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhhh to cfdisk, or fdisk, you're probably going to need to be ROOT......

fdisk command not found? no fdisk to even start on the drive. my pro tip of the day, use alternate install media so you have X to work with.
cooliasto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
uhhhh to cfdisk, or fdisk, you're probably going to need to be ROOT......

fdisk command not found? no fdisk to even start on the drive. my pro tip of the day, use alternate install media so you have X to work with.

it wont even let me login as root i typed in su and the password i set and it just told me access denied. does minimal install not come with fdisk? will i have to install it myself or something?
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should log you in as root as soon as the install media loads. if not and if its asking passwords, you must use alternate media as far as i know. it has fdisk and cfdisk on minimal install, but you gotta be root. i sent you a private message on the forums with details about alternate install methods.
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
i sent you a private message on the forums with details about alternate install methods.
If your offer of help is legitimate, why would you not answer the question publicly so that your answer can be seen by others whom it may help?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the system rescue CD is the preferred media to use since it literally changes nothing in the handbook.

EDIT: The minimal ISO images are quite literally a small live media OS with the sole purpose of installing gentoo. They include all the needed components for most needs.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly, there are condescending rule crazy people here with a report button on every post. its a link to a wiki page that's experimental and flagged as work in progress.

doctors response is sufficient.

original posters machine has 256 megs of ram, and wont boot usb media.

and FYI, its SDA, even if its a pata drive, its SDA.... no H
zlg
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666: There's no reason to provide help via PM unless it's requested via PM. Someone else who shares the same problem as cooliasto could benefit from the same advice that he receives. If you're not confident enough in the help you're offering, you should refrain until you have more knowledge or find another person who you believe may be a good fit for the problem. Poor advice may have great intentions, but it has a good chance of messing up someone's system. With help posted in the open, the community at large can inspect it and make sure we all find the right answer for the problem at hand. It's just a part of being a community.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: