btrfs with an SSD and a HDD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daviessm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: btrfs with an SSD and a HDD Reply with quote

I have a computer with a small SSD and a huge HDD. The root filesystem is btrfs on the SSD and the HDD is used for backups and mythtv recordings. However, having recently migrated to a new platform my SSD isn't large enough to hold everything in /home any more.

What do you think is the best way to make efficient use of the space? I considered appending the disks into a btrfs volume but that would halve the data integrity. I've also thought about creating a volume of raid1 between part of the HDD and the SSD but can I tell it to use the SSD as a primary and copy the files to the HDD as sort of a backup to preserve the latency benefits that the SSD will provide?
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there coming a btrfs feature to use SSD space a a hot-cache for some set of integrated volumes?
daviessm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of that but I'm stuck on kernel 3.8 anyway (the box is an armv7 ODROID-X2).

A bit more information about my setup: The ODROID has an onboard SD card slot, in which I have a 64GB SDXC card. I have an external USB dock which holds a 1TB SATA HDD and another 32GB SD card.

My latest idea is to create a 96GB btrfs partition on the HDD and use btrfs raid1 over that and the two SD cards. That should mean I have all the data stored on the HDD and a copy spread over the two SD cards. Am I right in thinking that if any of the three devices failed, I'd still have a running system? Now, if the 64GB SDXC card failed then I'd lose the boot partition and it wouldn't be able to boot but if I recreated that, everything would still just work.

Or am I delusional?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: