My list of problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaleNixon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: My list of problems Reply with quote

1. I can't get printing to work (after following the guide and googleing my head off)
2. Java isn't working properly (installed blackdown but no java works in a browser and I'm getting the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError error when trying to run java programs)
3. Movie playback performance in xine is horrible! The video even slows down to a crawl when I hit the pause button and the whole thing becomes unresponsive. A kill -9 is all I can do! I have no sound in movies either.
4. CD playback is horrible. The music is muted if I drop the line volume below 50 and blaring if the line volume is 50 or above.
This is on a beige G3/400 with 512 MB of ram and a Rage128. glxinfo notes that direct rendering is on.

It's been a fun ride, but now that school is getting demanding again I'm going to have to go back to OSX so I can print and compile my java programs. The other two are just "wish" items. This is not meant to be flame bait nor is it a complaint about Gentoo. I realize that I could eventually resolve these problems with some time and fine manual reading. I just don't have that time now that Summer vacation is over.
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Sound? Reply with quote

If I understand correctly you have some sound working?
What settings are you using (kernel, modules.conf, etc)?

I haven't gotten the smallest beep from gentoo...
DaleNixon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Sound Reply with quote

Emerge umix to set sound levels. Use /dev/dsp for sound. You will have to set correct permissions, so test it out as root to make sure it works before you rule that out. Let me know if you still have problems, I can dig up my system.
DaleNixon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: By the way.... Reply with quote

I'm not abondoning Gentoo! I still use it on my PC! :wink: I'll probably play around with it on ppc some more when I get an iBook sometime in the future.
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
Emerge umix to set sound levels. Use /dev/dsp for sound. You will have to set correct permissions, so test it out as root to make sure it works before you rule that out. Let me know if you still have problems, I can dig up my system.

I have emerged umix. I have emerged kmix. I've tested it as root. I have added myself to the audio group.

Both mixers give strange response, volumelevels jumping up and down in kmix etc... It's not a permissions problem and it's not the problem with no device.

Use /dev/dsp? Isn't that configured automatically? I think that's an alias to /dev/sound/dsp in gentoo, and of cource I had alias sound-slot-0 dmasound_pmac and everything...
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale:

cups works perfectly for me here on PPC

java works wonderfully as well, did you set the java environment stuff needed? Blackdown is beatuiful for my needs....

for xine movie playback make sure you have X setup right and are using Xv or OpenGL interfaces...

For CD playback I don't really know, I rip mine to MP3 usually :)

Gerk
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: