View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Odd kde 4.10.5 bug i think. Reply with quote

Okay i have been pulling my hair out at this for about a week now.
Last stable kde update kde crashed.
And by crash i mean 'everything' disappeared on screen except for the program i had in focus at that moment which was hexchat.
Okay i had kde crash like this before.
So i restarted the computer.
All files outside of directory's inside my home directory and hidden files ONLY minus three files i access through nfs(checking and savings spreadsheets and a short story i am writing) are GONE.
Okay not a good sign, so i restore all that from a backup.
Next reboot, all those files except the ones written into the directory's and said three files are gone again.
Okay REALLY not a good sign.
So I rush over to my local neighborhood best buy, the closest and not hard to get to computer store and pick up a normal laptop hard drive considering my venture into ssd-hood a failure after less than a year.
One night of moving the system over and restoring the backup along with one reboot later and... The files disappear again.
Then I change file systems from ext4 to jfs and then back to the ssd.
Same story, files go bye bye.
That is until i log into Xfce4 and transfer the files with thunar.. they stay through multiple reboots and they continue to stay until the kde services system crashes(i use kmail) at which point those specific files in that specific location all vanish.

I would post console output and such but I have not a clue on what or where to look for on this particular issue..
CkoTuHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l33t, lol.

Get the latest stable gentoo, bootstrap, roll over stg3, emerge world put your home directory.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CkoTuHa wrote:
l33t, lol.

Get the latest stable gentoo, bootstrap, roll over stg3, emerge world put your home directory.

Really... It most likely has NOTHING to o with his software stack. Most likely it is broken config - which KDE managed to do here way too often in the past.
Only noobs would advice a complete reinstall if there are problems, when starting with a fresh new $HOME (resp. user) would be way easier.
CkoTuHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a response..."Only noobs ...[snip]...would...[snip]" - this gives away the insecurity behind your post.
Why so categorical, mate ? We are not trying to prove a theorem here, are we ?

Don't take this personally, but I will dig into this one just a little bit more just because of the reminiscence.
You see, I was just like you many years ago - fresh out of school, insecurely categorical, quick to judge and not very mature.
The last remark applies in more than one way. What I mean is that you display lack of so called "mathematical maturity".
Better find some time and work on it since you display all the characteristics of lack of maturity such as: sloppy reasoning, not being able to see the main idea, missing the points, lack of abstract reasoning skills and rather poor judgment.

This is not the best place to argue, but since you bothered to reply in the first place :

Firstly, you say that it is "easier" ? Could you define easier ? You see, for instance, I find it much easier to start with a guaranteed sane environment - stable packages, "minimal" required USE flags and then, roll over your updates and import your settings as needed. For, it is safe to assume that once you've done those you alleviate much of other possible edge cases.

You might say "Why do it ?".
Look at the scenario truekaiser is describing. What kind of KDE component upgrade would wipe significant part of files, if not all of them, from your home dir ? Have you seen such cases ?
Most of the time, after minor kde upgrades you get an application or two that is messed up and because it can not import the existing settings. Surely, that is not what truekaiser is describing. I find it very atypical for minor kde upgrade to shred files in your home dir right and left. This alone, in my book, begs a closer look into the system. How do you know it has not been compromised or tampered with ?

Yeah, so much for case analysis. But that is not all. How do you know for sure that the user got his stack in canonical way in the first place ? How do you know that he didn't clone it from the other system ? How do you know that the original system was not compiled with specific flags for a bit different target ?

Secondly, you do realize this board is created for practical reason, which is, to help users help each other. Don't you see that it is rather "safe" & "conservative" to assume from the description of the behavior of the system truekaiser describes that there is something really strange going on ? Don't you think that it is reasonable to think there is something fundamentally borked up there ? Lastly, don't you think it is rather reasonable on my side to assume as less as possible and suggest what I would do with teh system ? I believe it is quite irrefutable that my suggestions are quite reasonable. Perhaps, just maybe, they seem a bit unnecessary. But I ask you - what would you give for a system that you can have reasonable trust in ? This is up for each of us to decide for ourselves.

I am sorry I got this far off-topic here. But in any case

ps: please note, that the way you use "advice" as a verb is wrong. It should be "advise" since this is the proper verb-form.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "noob" was a direct response to your "l33t, lol,". Your reaction showed that you did not like to get called noob, so think twice before you lough at other people. (and it was intentional, btw...)

The fact here: running kde breaks the system, xfce does not. So the breakage seems to be not that fundamental.
Moving config files to a different place is WAY faster then setting up a completely new system (even with worldfile in place). Testing with a sane default config should always be the first thing to try.
The "facts" about file deletions:
1) kget did it
2) dolphin did it
3) nepomuk is known to not work with $HOME over nfs. Just because he mentioned "nfs", and you never know about side effects.
4) And probably he simply downloaded a malicious addon from kde-look.org (or a "friend" installed it as a "joke"). You never know about that.
-> the first to points were resolved by a new version, in any case such things will NOT magically get solved by reinstalling the same version again and again, even with a "clean" new setup. 3) will never work. 4) will be resolved by empty .kde4/.config/...

And having a broken software stack will more likely result in crahes or 100% CPU/memory consumption. Of course there might be cases where bad memory access will trigger file deletions, but that should be definitely VERY deep (gcc/glibc/...) and likely result in similar symptoms when running xfce.
CkoTuHa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truekaiser make sure you are not suffering from this nasty thing.

Quote:
The fact here: running kde breaks the system, xfce does not. So the breakage seems to be not that fundamental.

ha ha ha...that is just your interpretation rather than a fact. Are you sure xfce doesn't cause problems ? Not so sure, but still, right ?

Quote:
...so think twice before you lough at other people....[snip]...and it was intentional, btw.

this guy....Watch out people, we got a bad-ass over here.

In any case, you missed the point entirely - you can call me names, whatever you want. What I reacted to is your immaturity. But since you completely ignored the lines above - forget it, never mind, just ignore I happened to post here. Thanks a million.

ps: btw, I don't mind being called a "n00b" as long there are such "Advocate"s. Yep. That's all, deal with it. Let me "lough" at it.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CkoTuHa wrote:
truekaiser make sure you are not suffering from this nasty thing.

Do you realise that this proves that reinstalling doesn't need to be the first try? (If it really should be that exact ext4 issue)
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@truekaiser:
If trying a new user/config doesn't help:
Some additional informations might be good:
* How is your system partitioned? (partitions, FS type, mount point)
* some special setup like RAID?
* Your kernel version you RUN (uname -r)
* emerge --info
* The packages you installed before you first got this issue (qlop -l - qlop comes with portage-utils)
* Do you regularly run updates? Or was there a greater timespan you skipped updating?
* Do you run etc-update/dispatch-conf/... after each update?
* revdep-rebuild?
* Do you use some "strange" Overlays or third-party-ebuilds in your local overlay?

Are there other things you realise? Strange sound, heat, ...
(It MIGHT be a general defect (SATA-Controller etc), and you simply hit it because of kdes heavy nepomuk indexer/akonadi/... that stresses I/O.)
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
@truekaiser:
If trying a new user/config doesn't help:
Some additional informations might be good:
* How is your system partitioned? (partitions, FS type, mount point)
* some special setup like RAID?
* Your kernel version you RUN (uname -r)
* emerge --info
* The packages you installed before you first got this issue (qlop -l - qlop comes with portage-utils)
* Do you regularly run updates? Or was there a greater timespan you skipped updating?
* Do you run etc-update/dispatch-conf/... after each update?
* revdep-rebuild?
* Do you use some "strange" Overlays or third-party-ebuilds in your local overlay?

Are there other things you realise? Strange sound, heat, ...
(It MIGHT be a general defect (SATA-Controller etc), and you simply hit it because of kdes heavy nepomuk indexer/akonadi/... that stresses I/O.)

This is a laptop that i am having the issues on.

/dev/sda1 -> boot -> ext2
/dev/sda2 -> swap
/dev/sda3 -> / -> was ext4 now jfs. data loss happened on both file systems.

2. No raid this is a laptop.

3. 3.8.13-gentoo #1 SMP Thu May 16 18:21:03 CDT 2013 x86_64 AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Code:
Portage 2.1.12.2 (default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.6.3, glibc-2.15-r3, 3.8.13-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.8.13-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Turion-tm-_II_P520_Dual-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     4046116 total,   2590800 free
KiB Swap:    5242876 total,   5242876 free
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 18:00:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.1
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p45
dev-java/java-config:     2.1.12-r1
dev-lang/python:          2.6.6-r2, 2.7.5, 3.2.5-r1
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.10.2-r2
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.11.8
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.4_p6-r1, 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.6, 1.12.6
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23.1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.5.4, 4.6.3
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.7 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.15-r3
Repositories: gentoo multimedia je_fro steam-overlay
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/polkit-1/actions /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/multimedia /var/lib/layman/je_fro /var/lib/layman/steam"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52 aac aalib acpi aiglx aim alsa amd64 archive berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cdrw cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr dvdread emboss encode exif ffmpeg ffmpeg-mt firefox flac font-server fortran gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 hwdb iconv icu java joystick jpeg kde lame lcms ldap libnotify lm_sensors mad mjpeg mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg msn mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin ogg oggvorbis opengl openmp oss pam pango pcre pdf png pnp policykit ppds pulseaudio qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime readline real samba sdl semantic-desktop session spell sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssl startup-notification svg symlink tcpd theora tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb v4l v4l2 vaapi vcd vlc vorbis webgl win32codecs wxwidgets x264 xcb xcomposite xfce xine xinerama xml xpm xv xvid zip zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="pdfimport" LINGUAS="en_US" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-4" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="vesa fglrx"
XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

5. As the topic title states this happened right after an update pulled that 'stable' version of kde.

6. all my systems are updated once a week on friday unless i forget or it's my mythtv server.

7. Yes, every time.

8. Same as above.

9. Nope the only overlays i use are the following all three of them are listed in layman.
Code:
* je_fro                    [Subversion] (svn://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/je_fro
 * multimedia                [Git       ] (git://gitorious.org/gentoo-multim...
 * steam                     [Git       ] (git://github.com/anyc/steam-overl...
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@5: An update usually pulls in more than just kde ;) Might be there were other packages updated, too, that's why I asked.
I also assume you are running stable, so no packages from "testing" get installed.

Your VIDEO_CARDS suggest you run an AMD video card. Could you try to to change your xorg.conf to not use fglrx but vesa?
You also might want to test eselect opengl to change your opengl implementation.
(just in case there is a hardware problem with your GPU or a driver bug that get's triggered - even if "kde services" don't directly start kwin+compositor).

You say you use kmail2. So starting kmail from within xfce also makes your desktop crash + files get deleted?
What happens if you start systemsettings and completely disable nepomuk before launching kmail2?

As it seems you have more then one HD, you might want to try a completely fresh install - just to confirm this is NOT a hardware problem.
I don't like hiding issues that way but find the root of the issue...
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just forgot:
Does dmesg log something unusual?
What about Xorg.0.log? ~/.xsession-errors?
The steam overlay suggests you run steam games. Do they run fine from within xfce?
Is you /usr/local/ empty, or can you find some files there? (esp. in lib/ and bin/ subdirs)
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I look over updates before letting them compile. this one was just kde.
2. i only have one hard drive since this system is a laptop. the numbers beside sda are partition numbers.
3. /usr/local is not empty.
4. I would have to re-trigger the error to get the Xorg.0.log and i won't have time for that kind of messing around till the weekend.
5. Upon further searching I think it might be a regression of this bug here. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=127894
6. will have to grab it after re triggering it this weekend. edit: and find a place to post it as it is larger than the post size limit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: