Quick Search: in
Gentoo/FreeBSD anyone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Gentoo/FreeBSD anyone? Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'm a long term gentoo user (since 2003 at least. I registered here in 2004 but I was using gentoo a while already when that happened) and as much as I love the speed and simplicity of gentoo (yes I really think that :mrgreen: ), I love the stability and very clean structure of FreeBSD. Not to mention that it's pretty intuitive. (yes I think that as well :mrgreen:)

I'm using Gentoo as well as FreeBSD on desktops and servers. And on my work notebook I'm switching back and forth once in a while because I cannot decide which to use in the long run :roll:

Well ... I know there is Gentoo/FreeBSD out there. And as far as I have seen the wiki page is pretty up to date (last edit in july) and it's based on FreeBSD 9.1

I wanted to know if there is anybody out there who is using Gentoo/FreeBSD successfully and can tell me a bit about current stability of builds and if it's worth it to give it a more in-depth look? Is it even been actively developed at the moment? Are the programms still organized the FreeBSD way (3rd party apps in /usr/local/)? Can I still use geli for encryption? And how well is it supported through forums/mailing lists?

I read the phoronix article but it is one year old. In my opinion too old for real insight.

Thx for your time,
Stefan
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On desktop systems it is not as well tested as Linux is. Getting X to run may require some tinkering depending on what hardware you have.
Software is installed to /usr like on a Gentoo Linux system.
There is the #gentoo-bsd IRC channel for support.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the answer. FreeBSD runs fine on all my machines - with X and 3D where needed. So I don't think hardware support will be the issue. But I was hoping Gentoo/FreeBSD will be like a combination of the best of both worlds. And one (amongst other) great features of FreeBSD is how they divide core and 3rd party software. So when stuff is installed to /usr, like in linux then this feature is not existant anymore hmm-hmm.

But I will stop by at the irc channel and bother them over there ;) Kind of was hoping it is a bit more than Gentoo with a FreeBSD kernel :?

Cheers,
Stefan
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A division in different directories is not done because portage manages everything. The sys-freebsd package category contains the core software.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: