View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: abc123 Reply with quote

abc123

Last edited by daniel4230877 on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With kde, the semantic desktop is usually the culprit of poor performance. You can disable it either with the use flag ,which may go away soon unfortunately, or using the system settings to disable nepomuk. It should be easy to find. Also, try playing with how the desktop effects are displayed. Arch may have done it differently and there can be a big difference between the options in terms of performance.

For boot times, there are a few tricks you can try, but two general things you can look at are 1) are you starting unnecessary services? 2) are you using an initramfs? If you used genkernel, you may be stuck with suboptimal options that are slowing down your graphics and due to the nature of using an initramfs your boot.

The best solution to compiling a kernel I have found is to use http://kernel-seeds.org/. Its minimal and it will not require an initramfs to boot which will cut off a good deal of time.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abc123

Last edited by daniel4230877 on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abc123

Last edited by daniel4230877 on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
rg.viza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
With kde, the semantic desktop is usually the culprit of poor performance. You can disable it either with the use flag ,which may go away soon unfortunately, or using the system settings to disable nepomuk. It should be easy to find. Also, try playing with how the desktop effects are displayed. Arch may have done it differently and there can be a big difference between the options in terms of performance.

For boot times, there are a few tricks you can try, but two general things you can look at are 1) are you starting unnecessary services? 2) are you using an initramfs? If you used genkernel, you may be stuck with suboptimal options that are slowing down your graphics and due to the nature of using an initramfs your boot.

The best solution to compiling a kernel I have found is to use http://kernel-seeds.org/. Its minimal and it will not require an initramfs to boot which will cut off a good deal of time.

I second this.... I don't do genkernel at all. I just follow the handbook and skip the genkernel section. I don't even think the info at that link is necessary to not use genkernel, but it's definitely awesome info for streamlining the kernel!

I've always just used the standard menuconfig and hand edited the kernel config when needed. Of course this is much slower than using kernel-seeds :-p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: