Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I extricate myself from horribly broken Gnome 3?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: How do I extricate myself from horribly broken Gnome 3? Reply with quote

Ok, after three months, I'm fed up with trying to get Gnome 3 working properly. I have no problems with the interface like others do, but I can't seem to get it to work properly and I'm getting tired of using a broken GUI. I want to downgrade to Gnome 2 or try something else completely such as xfce. Can anyone help me do this? I tried to delete the corresponding package.acceptkeywords and related files that allowed me to install Gnome 3 in the first place but it doesn't seem to work. Any tips?

Alternatively, I tried to upgrade Gnome 3.6 to 3.8 but it there seemed to be systemd issues and I couldn't figure out how to resolve them. Would 3.8 fix some of the brokenness (such as gnome-control-center not working)?

dq
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Can't get rid of it entirely Reply with quote

Some of the base packages will stick around as shards because other stuff will be dependent on them. That includes other desktops like kde in my case. The following is from a system where I had been keeping a gnome install going for years even though I've been with kde since the beginning as well. I did this, because at one point back in early kde (might have been early 3.x), I could not get kde to start up.

When gnome3 started breaking ebuilds all over, I chopped off the head by setting -gnome in ufed and did a world update. Then I used

Code:
emerge -pv --depclean

To pick off the orphans by hand. I probably did an emerge --unmerge gnome up front after ufed as a ceremonial gunshot to the head :D

Here's what I have left over in gnome-base after the lobotomy:

Code:
# ls /var/db/pkg/gnome-base
gconf-3.2.6-r1          gnome-vfs-2.24.4-r1              libbonoboui-2.24.5  libgnome-keyring-3.6.0  librsvg-2.36.4
gnome-common-3.6.0      gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.6.1  libgdu-3.0.2        libgnomecanvas-2.30.3   orbit-2.14.19-r3
gnome-keyring-3.6.3     gvfs-1.14.2                      libglade-2.6.4      libgnomeui-2.24.5
gnome-mime-data-2.18.0  libbonobo-2.24.3                 libgnome-2.32.1-r1  libgtop-2.28.4

I could probably get more strident in the weed wacking in there, but I don't have any emerge problems coming from gnome anymore.
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to put -gnome in make.conf and do an 'emerge -N world' but libre-office (the first item) wouldn't build due to the gnome requirement. Is there a way to separate the gnome libraries from the gnome applications?

dq
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help with your question, but this is a great idea!

I am so sick of conflicting dependencies in gnome making my emerges not work...
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: libreoffice and -gnome Reply with quote

Not sure why emerge is balking on you since I'm pretty sure 4.04.2 built fine without gnome. However on ~amd64 the latest (4.1.0.2) bombs out during the build somewhere on me

Code:
emerge -pv libreoffice

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] app-office/libreoffice-4.1.0.2 [4.0.4.2] USE="branding cups dbus gstreamer gtk gtk3%* java jemalloc kde mysql odk opengl postgres telepathy vba webdav (-aqua) -bluetooth -debug -eds -gnome {-test}" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-minimizer -nlpsolver -scripting-beanshell -scripting-javascript -wiki-publisher" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" 0 kB
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because you have kde? I don't have that installed and was planning on using xcfe but there doesn't seem to be an xcfe flag. Does Libreoffice work on xcfe? The alternative is that I just downgrade to Gnome 2 but emerge doesn't seem to want to do that either (it still tries to build 3.x packages)... I suppose I could just remove Libreoffice and re-build it once Gnome 2 (or xcfe is in place). I wish I could do an 'emerge -Ce libreoffice' in one fell swoop... :-S

dq
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Don't think it's because I use kde Reply with quote

I don't think kde vs xfce would be an issue. libreoffice does use a number of gnome oriented flags (gtk, eds, gnome, gstreamer quickly pop to mind). I doubt it would be able to build without the gimp toolkit (gtk) since that would be like trying to build kde without Qt. Another one that probably doesn't hurt to leave enabled is gstreamer. However the evolution-data-server (eds) is a sure fire way to crap up an install with all sorts of gnome-ish stuff that tends to break.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the gtk use flag doesn't disable the toolkit. It disables the quick start feature. I have both gtk and gtk3 disabled on mine and it runs fine in i3. I really don't think anyone can say anymore unless you post the error.

Also, you should try to use emerge -c <package> rather than emerge -C whenever possible as the -c option checks to make sure it isn't destroying your system.

Check your package.unmask and package.keywords (or its replacement, package.accept_keywords) files and make sure that gnome3 is not included. If you are running on the unstable branch, you will have to keyword it, something like gnome-base/* amd64. It should work to then simply emerge gnome or gnome-light.

It may help to use emerge -auvND world && revdep-rebuild to make sure everything is really consistent. Just be alert for gnome3 rising from the grave. You may not have killed it yet.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: