View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pocia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Gnome 3 problems if starting with battery inserted Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I ask your help for a strange problem in my laptop: it's a Toshiba Satellite C660-2RZ and i've installed gentoo 64 bit about two months ago.
At the beginning, when i emerged gnome de, i found that it was gnome 2, but the first time i made an upgrade it passed to gnome 3.
When i start my laptop without battery inserted, gnome 3 starts and works perfectly. But when i start my laptop with battery inserted (with or without power supply), it appears the written "Oh no, something has gone wrong" before the login and sometimes also after the login, but in both cases gnome 3 starts anywhere: the problems are that
1) the background is completely black and it's not exchangeable (gnome thinks that the background set is the one that is present in a normal boot/login)
2) there are no icons that show the percentage of battery
Now i don't know if it's a gnome problem or a kernel configuration problem, i make the topic here because i noticed the first symptoms of the problem working with gnome 3, so if the problem regards kernel or hardware problems, i apologize with you.
If you need the output of some commands or the content of some files, please ask me.
Thank you for the attention.
pocia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that if i start my notebook without battery (so everything goes fine) and i put battery in once loading of gnome is completed, battery indicator appears and also on power management everything is ok. So i have the problems described only if i start my machine with battery inserted.
I've also seen that if i start without battery, if i close the laptop the system suspends itself (and it's correct), when i start with battery inserted instead if i colse the laptop it doesn't change anything.
I think it's a gnome problem, but i don't know how can i find it. I wait for any response.
Thank you for the attention.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and look in ~/.xsession-errors

Alternatively, if you're using GDM i believe it stashes them in ~/.cache/gdm/session.log (or ~/.cache/gdm/session.log.old).
Lost in android development land.
pocia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my last update, everything went ok: now battery is corrected detected and there are no more black screens.
The problem is solved, but i don't know exactly which package was the problem.
Do you know a procedure to find the packages that were update in the last emerge -update command?

@cheater1034
Thank you for the involvement. I have no .xsession-errors file: if you want i put here my session.log, but i don't know if now is too much late to discover the old problem

Thanks everybody for the attention
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: