command help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: command help Reply with quote

I'm doing the following command and I wanted to view what USE's I need to add or take away for my make.conf. what do I add to the command or how do I view the uses given from the command

Code:
emerge -vpe world

Edit: I'm logged into my root on my gentoo install
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That command will show you what the effective USE flags are for each package that will be emerged. If the command doesn't tell you that USE flag dependencies are not met, then you don't need to change anything.

Most USE flags are set to good defaults by the profile (eselect profile). If you're curious about the definition and applicability of a particular USE flag, you can use euse (part of app-portage/gentoolkit). For instance,
Code:
 ~ # euse -i fortran
global use flags (searching: fortran)
[+ CD   ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)

local use flags (searching: fortran)
no matching entries found
What are you trying to accomplish with doing an entire --emptytree emerge?

- John
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following the quick install guide for gentoo x86 and I am at the part where I find my USE's for make.conf and I wanted to get a closer lookat it. Is there another way to config my USE?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't read it before, you're short changing yourself by not reading the full Gentoo Handbook. There is a chapter on USE flags which explains the concepts in some detail.

That said, there are several different ways to set persistent USE flags:
  • First and foremost, choose the right profile. Presumably, you've done that since it's covered in the Quick Install Guide.
  • Second, USE flag settings that will apply to all packages that respond to a particular USE flag are set in /etc/portage/make.conf.
  • Thirdly, setting USE flags for a particular package in /etc/portage/package.use.
You just edit those last two files with an editor (e.g., nano).

Are you trying to decide what USE flags to alter or what effective USE flags you currently have based on your profile?

- John
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read and done the install on another pc, just the gentoo install but never went further than that. Ill need to read over the USE located in the main gentoo handbook to get a better grasp. I just wanted to be able to view all the USE's that particular command gave me.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, issue that original command and look at the USE flags enabled for each package. Alternatively, you can run
Code:
emerge --info
which will show you all of the USE Flags that are currently in effect.

- John
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you buddy :) I'll repost later on if any further questions pop up

Edit: is there a way to use the less or more command with emerge?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do this on installing: emerge ufed
and then just run: ufed to set my global flags: not that many, but everyone goes crazy on their first install ;) In general it's better to set only the ones you're sure about globally.

But seriously, follow the handbook again. You need to have done at least 4 or 5 working installs, to call yourself experienced at it. And experienced people review the handbook for changes without fail.

The quick-install guide is for people who install Gentoo on a regular basis, like daily or weekly, for other people, imo, and just need a checklist, plus some who provide useful install support in #gentoo on an everyday basis.
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have installed gentoo about 7-8 times with each time getting better. so im using quick install for a reminder on some things to do, but im just at a little loss with the USE configuration. I'm wanting to basically go with KDE, so after i configure that i'll do xorg-server and modify gentoo from there.

btw what does ufed do, and what USE flags does it set?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Heya.

Tman11 wrote:
Edit: is there a way to use the less or more command with emerge?

You can, for example, 'pipe' the emerge output to less or more. You will lose the colourful output, however, as the output is no longer going to a tty (see man emerge).

You may use the --color=y switch to enable colourfulness inside less:

Code:
emerge -pv --color=y app-portage/ufed | less

You can also redirect the output to a file (enabling colour here only makes the file contents a bit funky):

Code:
emerge -pv app-portage/ufed >> $HOME/blahmerging

Note that the >> means to append. If there is only one > it will effectively mean a file with the specified name will be overwritten, if it exists! Moreover, this will leave out the 'stderr' output. To include that, we add something more to the end:

Code:
emerge -pv app-portage/ufed >> $HOME/blahmerging 2>&1

Personally, I'm more into using &> for some reason, and I had never tried appending with that so I tried
Code:
emerge -pv app-portage/ufed &>> $HOME/blahmerging

and it looks like it works just as well, while kinda making more sense to me! Only now I looked into it a bit, and seems like it's a new feature since Bash 4, but at the same time, it's said to be deprecated, and the 2>&1 method is preferred... hm.

<ahem> Anyblue! Moving on...

Tman11 wrote:
well i have installed gentoo about 7-8 times with each time getting better. so im using quick install for a reminder on some things to do, but im just at a little loss with the USE configuration. I'm wanting to basically go with KDE, so after i configure that i'll do xorg-server and modify gentoo from there.

The KDE profile might be a good (and recommended, obviously!) thing to start with, as pointed out already. I personally went with the very default (default/linux/amd64/), not really knowing what I wanted nor what the profiles even do! Some time ago, I actually disabled some flags that the KDE profile forces on (consolekit, policykit), and I am still using KDE mainly (Enlightenment at the ready in case I feel I'm done with KDE). I imagine they're forced on because most(?) people would likely want them on, probably, as not having them disables quite a bit of common functionality.

But I digress! You probably got that part down, know how to check on particular USE flags. It's definitely a good idea to have as many USE flags figured out before installing KDE, as it tends to require quite a bunch of packages. I think it's quite difficult to pull off without having used the particular desktop environment and friends for a while. I know it took quite a bit of recompiling for myself (not that building things with a Phenom X6 1090T is much of a bother, really!).

Tman11 wrote:

In short, it's a very nice command-line (ncurses) program to have an interface to play around with the (global) flags:

man ufed wrote:
UFED is a simple program designed to help you configure the systems USE flags (see below) to your liking. To enable or disable a
flag highlight it and hit space.

ufed edits the USE flag settings in your make.conf file only. It can not be used to edit your package.use file.

If you have two make.conf files, /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/make.conf, ufed reads the first, overrides its settings with the
second, and writes changes to the second.

As seen in Portage (via eix):

Code:
$ eix ufed
[I] app-portage/ufed
     Available versions:  0.40.2-r1{tbz2} (~)0.90_rc1{tbz2} (~)0.90_rc2{tbz2} **9999{tbz2}
     Installed versions:  0.90_rc2{tbz2}(17:19:41 13/04/13)
     Homepage:            http://www.gentoo.org/
     Description:         Gentoo Linux USE flags editor

Just some (sleepy) thoughts~
Apologies if I went a bit off tangent there. :V
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tman11 wrote:
I'm wanting to basically go with KDE, so after i configure that i'll do xorg-server and modify gentoo from there.
i have installed gentoo about 7-8 times

These sentences are glaring contradictions. Anyone who's done a Gentoo install more than once would never do KDE before X. And they'd damn sure know how to check what a package is about. 7 or 8 times, without knowing what ufed is? Puhleez.
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Tman11 wrote:
I'm wanting to basically go with KDE, so after i configure that i'll do xorg-server and modify gentoo from there.
i have installed gentoo about 7-8 times

These sentences are glaring contradictions. Anyone who's done a Gentoo install more than once would never do KDE before X. And they'd damn sure know how to check what a package is about. 7 or 8 times, without knowing what ufed is? Puhleez.

gentoo install, finishing only the install never going past the "useradd" part of the guide. Im still learning a lot about linux and gentoo. so when im asking what to actually do when wanting to install KDE im asking what major actions i need to take so KDE will work successfully.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tman11 wrote:
gentoo install, finishing only the install never going past the "useradd" part of the guide.

Then you've never finished a gentoo install. Not knocking your experience so far, but you need to have completed the install and used the machine, and maintained it over time before you can call yourself a Gentoo user. Then you need to have done that a few times, over a couple of years at least before you're ready to even think about doing it without the handbook; and as I said, experienced people still use the handbook.

I accept if you've just done 7 or 8 "installs", never getting past useradd, that you probably have that part down pat, though ;)
Tman11
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I accept if you've just done 7 or 8 "installs", never getting past useradd, that you probably have that part down pat, though ;)

quite indeed sir :) quite indeed lol, we'll off to read more ^_^ seems like xorg server is where its at for me.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

steveL wrote:

I've never went through the "useradd" part at the end of the install unless I wanted another user on the system. But, I do use Gentoo mostly on routers and give root a ridiculously complicated password.

There's a reason why I avoided Linux for almost a decade (I use FreeBSD, too). Posts like that are the reason. Lighten up, there are some n00bs here.. Give 'em a chance. Let them use Gentoo how they want to. It's the best way to learn Linux from the ground up. If you make some mistakes.. oh well. That's how you learn.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
steveL wrote:

steveL wrote:

There's a reason why I avoided Linux for almost a decade (I use FreeBSD, too). Posts like that are the reason. Lighten up, there are some n00bs here.. Give 'em a chance.

Eh? There was no offence meant, and none taken. We speak plainly without taking it to mean anything personal: it cuts through the bullsh1t. Which you seem to have plenty of ;p

If you see people winking, it means there's nothing for you to get on your high-horse about. Have a nice day.

update - "a most excellent portage wrapper"

#friendly-coders -- We're still here for you™ ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: