Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wguayan,

It looks like you have never run the genkernel kernel ...

What does uname -a show now?
What about ifconfig -a ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netty,

I had to step out for a bit so I'm not at my computer right now, but ifconfig -a shows lo and sit0, and this is from memory, but uname -a should show a date of July 14 now since I rebuilt the kernel last night. And the only time I recall running genkernel is when I installed initiramfs, running genkernel was a requirement
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most humble apologies for being away. The last few days have been both taxing and hectic. I will take a look at your kernel presently.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see lots of room for improvement. I'd like to ask why you are using an initramfs. That is not usually needed with Gentoo. I'm working on your kernel right now. I should be done with it fairly soon.

Cheers,
Pappy
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pappy,

No need to apologize. The reason I'm using initramfs is because the gentoo handbook said I need it if I have var on a separate partition...and I have var, boot, home and root on separate partitions.. This is basically the partition scheme that I've always used.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wguayan,

I started over with a fresh seed. This is very simple, and it will work with or without initramfs. My strong suggestion at this point would be to drop initramfs until such time as we get the network adapter up and running. In Gentoo, initramfs is usually only needed for splash screens. It adds a level of complexity which makes troubleshooting that much more difficult. All you need to do to run without initramfs is to not mention initramfs in /boot/grub.conf. I think you drop real root as well.

I will assume that the network device is on the motherboard, and is set to run in BIOS. If that's not the case, that might be the actual root of your issue.

Since there is only one network device in your computer, it should default to eth0. I know the udev thing was a total mess, but at least they granted us the wonder of not changing time-honored networking nomenclature if we have only one networking device. We'll know more after you boot with the kernel .config I created for you.

Click here for your new .config. Compile as is.

For the best results, please do the following:

1) Move your present/old .config file out of your kernel source directory (/usr/src/linux-3.8.13-gentoo).
2) Issue the command make mrproper. This is a destructive step. It returns the source to pristine condition. Unmoved .config files will be deleted!
2a) Delete the /lib64/modules/3.8.13-gentoo directory as well. Since your old .config was so module heavy, it's best to get rid of the extra cruft.
3) Copy my .config into your source directory.
4) Issue the command make && make modules_install.
5) Install the kernel as you normally would, and reboot. Once again, run with initramfs if at all possible until we get the issue resolved.
5a) emerge -av1 dhcpcd (if you have not already installed it).
6) Once it boots, please post /var/log/dmesg so I can see how things loaded.

That last step is very important to me. It allows me to see what is happening during boot time. That way, I can figure out whether you're having a hardware issue, or whether it's something else entirely.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Got it! No problem. I set up initramfs support in the kernel. It should work.

Cheers,
Pappy
Krotos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case this might be helpful, I have the same ethernet adapter (82579LM) and got it working with the 'e1000e' in-kernel driver. The device is named 'enp0s25' (as opposed to 'eth0' or something) by the newest udev, and I had to make sure to use this name in my init script (i.e., net.enp0s25) and /etc/conf.d/net.
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy,

For steps 4 and 5, after I run make && make modules_install (step 4), you say install the kernel as I normall would, do I do this by running emerge gentoo-sources? I just want to be clear so I don't screw things up. I'll wait for your answer before I proceed, I'm there right now. I thought modules_install achived that step.

Here's dmesg, FYI - I did not run emerge gentoo-sources again, and I don't think you intended for me to, but if I'm wrong I can repeat the steps again.

/var/log/dmesg
http://pastebin.com/yMJLX77x
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krotos wrote:
In case this might be helpful, I have the same ethernet adapter (82579LM) and got it working with the 'e1000e' in-kernel driver. The device is named 'enp0s25' (as opposed to 'eth0' or something) by the newest udev, and I had to make sure to use this name in my init script (i.e., net.enp0s25) and /etc/conf.d/net.

Hi Krotos- that was one of the first few drivers I tried out, still couldn't get it to work.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means to compile the kernel as you normally do. There would be no need to reinstall the kernel source code unless you've been hacking it, and that's not something for the faint of heart to consider, especially while in the throes of getting the system going.

Are you sure you used my .config for this? There were drivers starting that I know were not set to run with the .config I sent. I sent it with the module for 1000e set only, yet its driver doesn't come up. The drivers for 100 and 1000 start, and I didn't set either.

Please double check that.

If you're using genkernel, be sure to tell it to use my .config. You'd have to type genkernel -help in order to find out which switch to use so that genkernel uses a specific .config. I don't know the incantation, since I don't have genkernel installed. If someone else knows that, please chime in and let us know.

While you're at it, if you haven't already, enter the following commands:
Code:
rc-update add net.lo boot
rc-update add dhcpcd default

This will insure that if any network device comes up, that dhcpcd will search it out and try to establish an IP address. That will be the easiest way to get an IP address if you get the driver to work properly. Once things get working, if you want a static IP address, we can make that happen as well. Using dhcpcd first saves a lot of time.

Cheers,
Pappy
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy,

there's no doubt that I used your .config. I tried the steps again, but this time I ran make bzImage before running make && make modules_install. I have a new log for you here, but I did a quick scan and it looks similar to the old one.

http://pastebin.com/q3Tc2Tge

I'm obviously very new to compiling kernels, something I never had to do with my arch system, which is why I'm reading as much documentation as I can get my hands on...for example, you said if I use genkernel to tell it to use your conifg. Well, the only reason I installed genkernel as I mentioned previously is because it was a requirement for my initramfs. Does that mean that I must use genkernel becuase I installed it due to a requirement of another piece of software? I honestly have no clue.

However, if I have to use genkernel, the manual says genkernel kernel builds the kernel and modules.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wguayan,

Did you forget to mount /boot before you did cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/<kernel_name>?

What does
Code:
uname -a
show?
The date/time will be a giveaway.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

OH MY GOD, I am so fing dumb! I forgot to cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage to /boot. When I saw your post I went and looked in /usr/src/linux and looked at the date of .config file that pappy sent me, and it was Jul 15, which is corrrect. But -uname was showing July 14. As soon as I copied the bzImage over and rebooted, I got an ip address!!! I'm so dumb but so happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All joking aside- good job guys. Thanks for taking the time to help a noob out. I'm sure this won't be my last post!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very wrong, because I'm still showing the loading of the intel 100 and 1000. I do see that 1000e appears to also be being called. I also see it trying to set up sit0, which should not happen because the seed is not set for IPv6.

I emerged genkernel just to be sure of the incantation. To the best of my knowledge, you should enter this at the source directory:

Code:
genkernel all --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux-3.8.13-gentoo/.config

The above will make all options (initramfs, compilation, module installation) using my .config.

For that to work, you must be sure that my .config and only my .config is in that directory. While technically speaking, you could conceivably put my .config anywhere and just point to it through genkernel, it is better if you have the .config in the source directory to avoid confusion.

As a general question, have you established with a boot disk or a different operating system that the NIC does, in fact, work? If not, that should be the next step. If the network device does work properly with another OS, then it's a serious configuration issue that you have on your hands.

I'm going to be in and out most of the day, but I will be checking in here periodically.

Cheers,
Pappy
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy,

I don't understand. I must be missing a vital step in configuration or compiling, but it's definitely your .config that I'm using. I mean it's pretty simple, I'm just copying the file you sent me, deleting the old one, and pasting the new file in /usr/src/linux. And I repeated that step twice. Tell you what, I'm going to post the .config that's in my system right now so you can verify it for yourself. I'll be very shocked if it's not the file you sent me.

my current .config
http://pastebin.com/CMNzBVCV

I'm 100% certain that my NIC is working.. it's actually working right now dhcp issued me an address and I can ping 8.8.8.8. So what could be the issue here?

Other than the steps below, is there one I'm missing that the .config isn't being compiled?
Code:

# make mrproper
# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-3.8.13-gentoo
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wguayan,

I think there is some confusion.

I didn't see you post a new dmesg after you copied pappys kernel to /boot.
Please run
Code:
zcat /proc/config.gz | wgetpaste
that will post the config of the running kernel.
Tell the URL you get back.

You may need to emerge wgetpaste

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

Here you go

http://bpaste.net/show/114581/
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wguayan

Code:
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_INTEL=y
# CONFIG_E100 is not set
# CONFIG_E1000 is not set
CONFIG_E1000E=m
# CONFIG_IGB is not set
# CONFIG_IGBVF is not set
# CONFIG_IXGB is not set
# CONFIG_IXGBE is not set
# CONFIG_IXGBEVF is not set
that looks like a pappy kernel to me.

Post the file that pappy asked for from this kernel.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

here's dmesg:

http://pastebin.com/fLsGQDZZ

***EDIT***

I ran pappy's genkernel -all command from above and got an error...I'll be back in a bit to post the log for it. The error read: Could not copy configuration file.

this is the log that running the genkernel command generated:
http://pastebin.com/ss9mLi5V

BTW- what's going on with the forums? I've been getting server error messages from time to time on both chromium and firefox.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! At last, the dmesg that shows that your NIC is in fact being called, and being put up. As for it changing to en0, if that's what it wants, then that's what you give it. Did you get an IP address with dhcpcd? If not, then there might be a connectivity issue elsewhere.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the genkernel error, if you allow it to run make mrproper, it will eliminate the .config file. You would have to add the --no-clean and --no-mrproper switches to the genkernel command I sent previously. That command would look something like:
Code:
genkernel all --no-clean --no-mrproper --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux-3.8.13-gentoo/.config

Either that, or name the .config file something like no-nuke.config. make mrproper will not eliminate that file name. You could also conceivably store the .config outside the source directory completely as long as you type the full path to the .config file you wish to use.

Cheers,
Pappy
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pappy,

My understanding is that genkernel -all configures the kernel to work with most hardware, at least that's the impression I got from the gentoo handbook. Wouldn't genkernel -all "over-write" the .config file you sent me? If that's incorrect, can you possibly eleborate on what's actually taking place by running the command genkernel -all.

Regardless everything seems to be running smoothly right now. After we finish here it's on to isntalling X and gnome, which worries me a little becuase it involves making changes to the configuration again, but I'm starting to get a feel for how things work.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my understanding of genkernel, using all without the - means make the kernel, modules, and initramfs. It might look better done like so:
Code:
genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux-3.8.13-gentoo/.config all
If you want to cheat, you can just cut and paste the code into a terminal from X, and let genkernel do the rest of the work.

You don't want to use -all, as I believe that's not a viable option. My cursory read of the genkernel help tells me that all the switches are double-hyphened. To see this for yourself, type, "genkernel --help" in a terminal screen under X, and you'll be able to see all the available options.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Pappy
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to this post so I can bookmark NeddySeagoon's suggested link of http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/. I had this link before and lost it. Was trying to search for it yesterday.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: