How to modify BIOS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdowner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: How to modify BIOS? Reply with quote

Apologies if this is wrong forum. Recently I installed gentoo on a machine that was a win7/ubuntu dual boot. Everything is mostly fine but I am working through a few issues. The one I am working on at the moment is that the time is wrong. It doesn't appear to be using the timezone information correctly. I have made sure that /etc/conf.d/hwclock is set to use UTC instead of local but I think it is still using the local time from the BIOS, possibly because that is what win7 wanted when I had the dual boot. However, I now realize that I can't seem to get into the BIOS menu! This is change in the behavior of the machine but I don't know if it is anything specifically to do with the new installation. I am trying to press all the usuall keys to bring up the BIOS but there is no splash screen saying 'press F1' or equivalent and nothing I do has successfully brought up the BIOS menu.

So, I am wondering if there is alternative way that I can access the BIOS to modify the settings? Is there some setting that I may have chosen during installation that makes it impossible to enter the BIOS configuration?

-Josh
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clearing CMOS.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually bios is called by f2 or delete key

windows 8 can lock you out of bios in the name of making booting faster, if you get into that mode you have to find the option boot to bios in the windows 8 miasma or use jaglover's technique. i've not noticed the fast boot option in windows 7 but ...
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key used to access the BIOS varies greatly from one computer to another, although it's usually a function key, and it's also usually an even-numbered function key.

Both Windows and Linux rely on the hardware clock on the motherboard as a starting point for keeping the system time. Thus, Windows and Linux must agree on using the same timekeeping convention for the hardware clock -- either local time or UTC. If one uses one way and the other uses the other way, you'll see time problems whenever you reboot.

Traditionally, systems with both Windows and Linux set the hardware clock to local time; however, this can cause glitches when Daylight Saving Time clock changes roll around. Typically, both OSes try to change the clock automatically, so it gets set incorrectly. There are system settings you can use to disable this feature and do it manually (or hope that NTP settings will correct). Personally, though, I prefer to set my hardware clock to UTC for both OSes. This page describes how to do this on Windows; however, it was written in the days of Windows XP, and I'm not 100% sure that this procedure still works with the latest versions of Windows. I think I must have used it with Windows 7, though.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdowner,

The key to press to enter the BIOS is usually displayed as a screen message.

Over the years, I've known it to ESC, F2, F10, F12 and del. One early Compaq system had the BIOS interface on floppy disk.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one method to enter BIOS that I found recently:
Turn off your machine. Press and hold F2 and turn on a machine. F2 should be still pressed. Wait for a few seconds, until BIOS appears.
As well it may be not F2 key, some possible values described above.
Also Esc may be useful (some machines shows additional menu on starting with Esc key)
aeyeaws64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

win 7 utc registry edit

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote